2213's and Current Excalibur Models

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

Re: 2213's and Current Excalibur Models

Post by paulaboutform »

I've used the Flex Fletch vanes for years and the prep of the vanes is crucial. I can almost guarantee that the vanes that came off left glue on your shafts and your vanes were almost clean. I've had issues with the Flex Fletch vanes until I started using their Zing primer on them before putting them together. I still clean my shafts with acetone as normal.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

paulaboutform wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:59 pm
I've used the Flex Fletch vanes for years and the prep of the vanes is crucial. I can almost guarantee that the vanes that came off left glue on your shafts and your vanes were almost clean. I've had issues with the Flex Fletch vanes until I started using their Zing primer on them before putting them together. I still clean my shafts with acetone as normal.

Paul
I'd bet that Jerry prepped the vanes the same as he does when fletching carbon arrows, and I'm pretty sure he uses Zing. I honestly didn't pay attention to where the glue wound up though. Jerry said that the recent batch of aluminum shafts had some sort of coating on them he was having troubles with; apparently I wasn't the only one to have vanes fall off from his AL arrows. He claims it's all sorted out now and he offered to refletch my shafts, but I've already done that myself so I didn't take him up on his offer.

~E
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

I recently had problems with my vanes coming off my carbon shafts. Jerry said it was because I was using a primer on the vanes and using a regular soft set glue, Fletch Tite Platnium to be exact. You’re only supposed to use primer on the vanes if you’re using a super glue type of glues only! Otherwise just prep the shafts and vanes with plain rubbing alcohol out of your medicine cabinet! Hope this helps because it sure helped me! Good luck!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I bought some very old Autumn orange arrows the original veins wear rotted off I cut them for bolts scraped off the old glue ,used oo steel wool and alcohol and still got poor adhesion , so then I hit the shaft with 400 grit sand paper thought it would wreck the color but it did not just used lightly and it solved the adhesion issue.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I'm surprised to hear of adhesion problems with aluminum arrows....assuming the adhesive wasn't bonding to the aluminum? Did you use acetone to clean your shafts and vanes or isopropyl alcohol 93% ?

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I found the best for me to prep the shaft was Ajax on a rag rinsed with really hot water. This removes anything and everything from the shaft. A mistake that many make is handling the gluing surfaces after prepping.Image
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cw.abeljr

Post by Cw.abeljr »

Boo wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:33 pm
I found the best for me to prep the shaft was Ajax on a rag rinsed with really hot water. This removes anything and everything from the shaft. A mistake that many make is handling the gluing surfaces after prepping.Image
+1.... People tend to forget that your hands have oil in your skin and handling the arrow will put a small amount of oil on the surface.
Clyde
Micro 335 Nightmare
Reds/Air Brakes/Sound Deafening system

Axiom 305 SMF
S5/dissipator bars