New guy Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rugerr1

New guy Question

Post by Rugerr1 »

So being I'm still learning the crossbow world, I have seen other crossbows with the suppressors like mine but noticed that my string looks a little far from the string. Can someone tell me if there is too much distance between the suppressors and the string? If so how do I adjust it? Thanks
Matrix 380
Rugerr1

Re: New guy Question

Post by Rugerr1 »

for some reason it wont let me post the pic,this is the error message I get "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached"

That being said could someone tell me how much distance there should be and how to adjust? there is about a 1/2 or 1/4 inch gap?
Matrix 380
Tangle Eye

Post by Tangle Eye »

The string should be between 1/8 and 1/2 inch from the REDS (round black bumpers in front of the string). If it is too far, use you stringing aid to remove one end of the string and untwist it to loosen/lengthen it. Do 1 or even 1/2 rotations at a time. Specific instructions for how to do this are covered in the manual. If you don’t have a manual, you can download one from Excalibur. Or, ask here and someone can probably send you one (PDF). They are very helpful if you aren’t familiar with the bow’s operation.
———————————————————————————————————
Excalibur Assassin w/ Boo Force 10 string

If you always do what you always did, you’ll always get what you always got.
Rugerr1

Post by Rugerr1 »

Thanks! Im new to crossbows( painfully obvious) so I have a lot to learn
Matrix 380
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Rugerr1 wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:34 am
So being I'm still learning the crossbow world, I have seen other crossbows with the suppressors like mine but noticed that my string looks a little far from the string. Can someone tell me if there is too much distance between the suppressors and the string? If so how do I adjust it? Thanks
if this string is new then i would be shooting it some before adjusting it, cuz it will more then likely stretch some
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congratulations on the new bow !
On a new bow their is a break in period ware the string will stretch , I would shoot it as is for now and see if it stretches to ware you want it to be , make sure you always have some twist on the string as it is helping to keep the serving locked in place.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

One thing to remember is, to shorten string twist string (counter clockwise)
to lengthen string twist (clockwise)

BTW Welcome to the forum

Dave :wave:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
Rugerr1

Post by Rugerr1 »

That is good to know about the string stretching out , the bow is brand new have only shot about 5 or 6 bolts out of it. How will I know if I need to twist the string back to the proper space? Just measure it after awhile? And about how many shots before you would have to replace a factory string?
Matrix 380
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Welcome to the forum, as stated, take a few shots so long as it is not more than 1" from the bumpers, it will stretch the quickest with shooting. Also, taking out turns loosens the center serving which is not good for the string life.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I keep my string around the string thickness ware served from the bumpers about 1/8 inch, I have my rail marked on the side with a pencil line for reference.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome to the forum
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Rugerr1

Post by Rugerr1 »

Thanks for all the feedback guys! A lot of great info to have, this thing is really fun to shoot. Cant wait until deer season!!
Matrix 380
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Everyone seems to have their own "string recipe" once the new string finishes stretching. Initiatlly I set mine with a 1/2"-5/8" gap and they will quickly stretch after shooting for some time ( the stretch process can be sped up some by leaving your bow cocked overnight putting more pressure on the string. ( Just be sure to reset the safety when going that route ).

I keep watching, while looking to have it finally settle in between 3/16 and 1/4" gap. ( adjusting as needed if need be) ... that is unless you up-grade at some point to a set of DR bumpers ? Those are designed to just slightly "Touch" when the string is at rest.

BTW, those are my favorite style bumpers, followed closely buy those designed and sold here thru the forum by Danny Miller at Horizontal Archery.

The "factory" REDS work well, but seem to be made from softer material, and with heavy shooting don't last as long "for me" as the aformentioned ones. IMO, the two types of aftermarket bumpers I mentioned not only last longer, being made of superior materal and design, but additionally reduce more "felt viberation" while I'm shooting my bows.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Rugerr1

Post by Rugerr1 »

L. E. Carroll wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:14 pm
Everyone seems to have their own "string recipe" once the new string finishes stretching. Initiatlly I set mine with a 1/2"-5/8" gap and they will quickly stretch after shooting for some time ( the stretch process can be sped up some by leaving your bow cocked overnight putting more pressure on the string. ( Just be sure to reset the safety when going that route ).

I keep watching, while looking to have it finally settle in between 3/16 and 1/4" gap. ( adjusting as needed if need be) ... that is unless you up-grade at some point to a set of DR bumpers ? Those are designed to just slightly "Touch" when the string is at rest.

BTW, those are my favorite style bumpers, followed closely buy those designed and sold here thru the forum by Danny Miller at Horizontal Archery.

The "factory" REDS work well, but seem to be made from softer material, and with heavy shooting don't last as long "for me" as the aformentioned ones. IMO, the two types of aftermarket bumpers I mentioned not only last longer, being made of superior materal and design, but additionally reduce more "felt viberation" while I'm shooting my boWhat about

Can you turn them after so many shots, the REDS I mean ? Would that extend some of the life?
Matrix 380
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Yes turning the reds does help extend the life, they will last quite a long time they are a good product just inspect them once in a while .
Hunt eat sleep repeat.