Ground blind ripoff

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Turtleman

Ground blind ripoff

Post by Turtleman »

I have never really cared much for ground blinds in general or the the poor quality in which most are built. The only use i have for a ground blind usually is for turkey season and that is where i will have several out at any given time just before and during turkey season. I put out several the other day in preparation for our upcoming youth turkey season. We have had high winds this month and i had one roll over and somehow lost a rod and broke two metal hub tips. I will add this is not the first time i have had to replace parts , which is one point i'm trying to make. I called ameristep to order replacement metal tips and a rod. They told me it would be $19.00 for the (10) metal tips plus taxes and shipping. The rod would be $20.99 plus taxes and shipping. So all total it would be over $50 to get these simple parts, this is ridiculous. I have never bought one but am looking at buying a double bull that is of better quality and has some warranty. These cheaper blinds fade bad, break easily, loops dry rot, windows aren't always set up right, and by the way who the heck uses velcro in a hunting blind?? i mean come on, nothing worst to use in hunting that makes more noise than velcro!! I will get off my soap box and ya'll let me know your experiences and thoughts on the subject. Just tired of not getting much for my money these days!!
Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
Boo

Re: Ground blind ripoff

Post by Boo »

Just like every other manufacturer of anything. No mater what the product is, if you buy individual parts to make a whole product, it would cost you much, much more than the product as a whole. In talking to a few manufacturers they've said that they aren't in the business of selling parts :wtf: . But they're right :shifty:
It seems that every time I buy cheap, I get cheap, go figure! I had 2 blinds this year self destruct in the big winds. I think I'll do like you are suggesting, get a good one, pay the bucks and expect more. :eusa-pray:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

I see your point on the individual parts but my thinking is that they buy so many it is cheap for them and in stead of helping anyone repair they just don't want you to be able to fix anything they want you to buy new and spend even more money. So in short they are making to last a short time and not long term.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

To keep the blind from coming unstaked I use a 12in ardox spike to fasten to the ground and it’s far better then those stakes that come with them!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
janesy

Post by janesy »

Or... On the other side of the coin, they are making it to the quality and value people are WILLING to pay for. Ever stop to think its not the manufacturers driving this?

Its the same in everymarket. Nobody has stopped making premium products. But if everyone continues to buy the cheap stuff, regrets it immediatly, then refuses to buy good quality components the second time around.
You have to ask yourself, why would they make a better product?
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

Turtleman wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:05 pm
I see your point on the individual parts but my thinking is that they buy so many it is cheap for them and in stead of helping anyone repair they just don't want you to be able to fix anything they want you to buy new and spend even more money. So in short they are making to last a short time and not long term.
I think that might be what they're thinking!
I looked at the higher end blinds and I threw up a bit! :wtf: $400 to $500! :thumbdown: I have a Baronette blind and it looks pretty good at a bit over $200.00. They make cheaper, lighter weight blinds as well. But I'm very attracted to cheap ones in case of theft. What to do? Stop being cheap? On the other hand, I've never had one stolen! :thumbup:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

i have a $89 blind from a wallmart sale for 4 years now its still up on public land. at this point it pretty beat up with a blown out hub and some rips .if i take it down it will be junk tied to brush its in a nice spot on a brook. over the summer I'm going to buy a better grade and use it in another spot. with a heater and chair it dont get no better in bad weather.
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

I see both sides of the coin. Hate to spend so much and leave in the field only to get stolen. I have never had one stolen but am sure as soon as i put a $350 double bull out someone might think otherwise. I also have stepped up on my ground blind stakes and use walmart tent stakes and they work pretty good. As far as comfort goes they are hard to to beat on a cold turkey morning with a heater inside going! :thumbup:
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

the last cheapy I had set-up and left out , was pretty much faded -leaks etc. I went down and got a 19.95 12x 10 camo tarp and covered the whole blind - looks like new from outside warmer and doesn't leak on inside- go to yards sales and buy old tents and use the poles - bigger and better and way cheaper
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I have been buying the cheap doghouse blinds for years. I find they last maybe 3 years although my last one is going on 5. I buy them at walmart at the end of the season usually on for like 50 bucks ! I love them because they are easy to set up and carry and when turkey hunting I usually set up when I hunt . Although last year in Kansas I left mine up for a week on a field and it held up fine and you don't get much more strong sustained winds than you get in Kansas ! But when I set them up to leave I put a set of heavy stakes and use the side tie downs as well as the ground. I even try to to tie it into a fence or treeline if possible. I have actually laughed pretty hard a couple years as I saw a blind come rolling along through a field and off down to who knows where. I wondered if the guy was sitting in it when it decided to run away ! On the same note one year I set up on gobbling bird with my bow and just threw out the blind no stakes and got in as it was getting light. About an hour later I had 2 toms strutting into my decoys but the wind had kicked up so much it was all I could do to hold onto the blind and if I let go it would have taken off like a parachute so never could draw my bow. I learned a lesson there and at least put the ground stakes in now !!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I solve this problem by wearing a full on ghille suit, or even just a Leafy Wear suit. Far better than a ground blind IMO as it is ultra portable and I can setup where ever I need to based on what the game is doing. If you can sit still and don't stink a ghille suit is the way to go. Deer generally have no idea I am even there. And even if they catch me moving they just look up and have no idea what I am. Only downside versus a ground blind is that you are still out in the weather.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:42 pm
I have been buying the cheap doghouse blinds for years. I find they last maybe 3 years although my last one is going on 5. I buy them at walmart at the end of the season usually on for like 50 bucks ! I love them because they are easy to set up and carry and when turkey hunting I usually set up when I hunt . Although last year in Kansas I left mine up for a week on a field and it held up fine and you don't get much more strong sustained winds than you get in Kansas ! But when I set them up to leave I put a set of heavy stakes and use the side tie downs as well as the ground. I even try to to tie it into a fence or treeline if possible. I have actually laughed pretty hard a couple years as I saw a blind come rolling along through a field and off down to who knows where. I wondered if the guy was sitting in it when it decided to run away ! On the same note one year I set up on gobbling bird with my bow and just threw out the blind no stakes and got in as it was getting light. About an hour later I had 2 toms strutting into my decoys but the wind had kicked up so much it was all I could do to hold onto the blind and if I let go it would have taken off like a parachute so never could draw my bow. I learned a lesson there and at least put the ground stakes in now !!
Love my Doghouse blinds as well. Leave them out all season in all kinds of weather. My first one is also on it's 5th season.

To avoid having the black hole only when you have a window open color them with this so they see the black hole all season long. Keeps them from spooking when they see it.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tulip-Color-Shot-Fabric-Spray-Aerosol-Black-3oz/45823274
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

In pa turkey season we have to hunt from a totally enclosed blind. A ghostblind or cloth semi blind is not legal. .....stupid law l know.!!! And we cannot brush a blind in for turkey only deer ....stupid law l know!!! Dont ask how l know . A A-hole lady game warden told me first hand. Any way l like the dog house ...best bang for the money and lf someone steals it its not as big a deal.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Mashstalker

Post by Mashstalker »

I got a killzone on ebay like 8 years ago, still in good shape, was only left out 2 seasons. It's heavy but it's been a good blind. Was only like 100 bones. I have to say I haven't used it lately though. Might have to check on it
rossh

Post by rossh »

I have an igloo type I've used off & on for 8 yrs .a few pin holes but not bad . When on the move I use a 60" blk umbrella with camo netting fastened to in . I just draped over point & taped on with Elec tape . Then hooked netting over pointed frame ends & trimmed . Carry folded up like umbrella then when needed up POP up it goes & sit behind on camp chair or what works . When done fold up / down & away yu go . 2nd one for back works if need be but I always put my back to tree or brush . Luck
Slightly past my best before date .Made in Canada .But still having fun . K.I.S.S .
Ibex Xbow only one .