Trail Cams

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jody5252

Trail Cams

Post by jody5252 »

Love em' or hate em'? What type do you look for, low price models or high end cellular models? What brand/type is your favorite? What was the coolest pic/pics, that you have ever captured on your cams? And, most of all, how do you secure your cams?
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
PublicLandHunter1

Re: Trail Cams

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

I have around 12 cameras with bear boxes and use the python lock on each one (I wish they were all keyed the same). I started with all low end 3-4 mega-pixel cameras I picked up at Walmart on clearance for $25-30 a piece. Each year I went to Walmart in the summer when they put their cameras on clearance and upgraded to a 12 mega pixel camera for around $50 until all the lower mega-pixels were replaced. I make sure they fit in the bear boxes before buying. I find my bear boxes on Amazon for less than Bass Pro or Cabelas- just have to look for used ones. I have not had one stolen as I try to camo them (glue bark to the bear box) but the bears started to biting them so I bought the boxes. Coolest picture from last year is two bucks fighting. When I first started trail cameras my camera had a camera in it with 35 mm film, I picked up a bear on the camera. That was over ten years ago and did not realize at that time we had black bears in Missouri. One guy in camp put a $300 camera out and it was gone in a short time- he did not lock it. It took me a while but I just deleted over 35,000 pictures from this winter. I try to keep a 100 or less pictures on my computer from year to year.
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Tangle Eye

Post by Tangle Eye »

My plan now for using cameras on public land is el cheapo models with the idea some will eventually get stolen. I have a high quality one i use at my feeder on my own property. I think the coolest pic I’ve captured is a hawk snagging a dove in mid flight at my feeder.
———————————————————————————————————
Excalibur Assassin w/ Boo Force 10 string

If you always do what you always did, you’ll always get what you always got.
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

I tend to run more expensive cameras, unlocked. I hunt in my back yard on private land, so they are fairly safe. I also run HD video and really like that. My newer Browning cameras have sound, which is fun. I had 2 button bucks on camera sparing each other this year, brothers... :P
I think I still miss some pictures. My more expensive Browning seems to perform better. Would be interesting to line them all up side by side for a comparison. I need to get a new camera for another location, but would like to get a camera that performs as expected.

On a separate note I am not sure that the deer don't see IR, I see unusual behavior when the cameras trigger and the older bucks tend to avoid the camera locations. Why would they do this unless the cameras throw them off? They still cross my trails but they snake through the camera locations. I will find a monster print the size of my hand but have no videos of the "Ghost"... :eusa-think:
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

I only buy them when they're on sale as my hunting buddy and I have each had a few stolen. Although we hunt privately owned land, neighbours and trespassers seem to help themselves and if you can't be out there regularly, it doesn't pay to buy the expensive units.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Lot's of good info and reviws here:
https://www.trailcampro.com/
http://www.chasingame.com/

I have only one commercial camera, a 2012 Moultrie M80XT. The others are all homebrew cameras.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
roly

Post by roly »

I buy cams that are on sale and inexpensive, for two reasons. First I just want to know what time I’m getting activity and don’t care if I get fantastic photos. Second they have a tendency to disappear.
I use two eye bolts and washers with a bolt threw them. One is a 1/4” standard thread and one is a self tapping eye bolt. Screw it into the tree up high enough the bears can’t pull them down then screw the cam on and adjust.
They work great and are inexpensive.

My favourite brand is moultrie. But only if the price is right.
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

new rules here in AZ. starting to crack the whip !!

Rules are posted below. I think these rules are clear stating that no trail camera should be used within 1/4 mile (440 yards) from a developed water source. I also think this rule clearly states live action cameras (Cams that send pics to cell phone instantly) are not to be used anywhere in the woods at all. IMO it defines a live action camera not being allowed in the woods at all to take, or aid in take of wildlife. The part that needs to be defined better is the taking, or aiding in the take of wildlife. This leaves the idea that if I'm just out in the woods to view wildlife with my camera, and I'm not helping take, or aid in the take of wildlife (meaning I don't have a tag, or not guiding anyone) then I should be able to use a camera anywhere in the woods. Currently these rules are somewhat confusing, and could use some additional info to help clear the use of trail cameras. However if these rules are posted in the regs as currently proposed, I won't be risking my cameras on water being I don't think they'll be there when I come back.

On Page 31:

Live action camera means an unmanned device capable of transmitting images, still photographs, video, or satellite imagery, wirelessly to a remote device such as but not limited to a computer, smart phone, or tablet. This does not include a trail camera that only records photographic or video data and stores the data for later use, provided the device is not capable of transmitting data wirelessly.

On Page 34:

4. A person shall not use a live-action trail camera, or images from a live action-action trail camera, for the purpose of:

a. Taking or aiding in the take of wildlife, or
b. Locating wildlife for the purpose of taking or aiding in the take of wildlife.

5. A person shall not use any trail cam, or images from a trail camera, for the purpose of taking or aiding in the take of wildlife within one-fourth mile (440 yards) of the outer perimeter of a developed water source.

On Page 30:

"Developed Water source" means any developed, placed, or man-made structure that collects or stores water with the primary purpose of providing water to wildlife or livestock.

17-101. Definitions

A. In this title, unless the context otherwise requires:

20. "Take" means pursuing, shooting, hunting, fishing, trapping, killing, capturing, snaring or netting wildlife or the placing or using of any net or other device or trap in a manner that may result in the capturing or killing of wildlife.

24. "Wildlife" means all wild mammals, wild birds and the nests or eggs thereof, reptiles, amphibians, mollusks, crustaceans and fish, including their eggs or spawn.

17-240. Disposition of wildlife; devices; unlawful devices; notice of intention to destroy; waiting period; destruction; jurisdiction of recovery actions; disposition of unclaimed property

B. Devices, excepting firearms, which cannot be used lawfully for the taking of wildlife and being so used at the time seized may be destroyed. Notice of intention to destroy such devices as prescribed in this section must be sent by registered mail to the last known address of the person from whom seized if known and posted in three conspicuous places within the county wherein seized, two of said notices being posted in the customary place for posting public notices about the county courthouse of said county. Such device shall be held by the department for thirty days after such posting and mailing, and if no action is commenced to recover possession of such device within such time, the same shall be summarily destroyed by the department, or if such device shall be held by the court in any such action to have been used for the taking of wildlife, then such device shall be summarily destroyed by the department immediately after the decision of the court has become final. The justice court shall have jurisdiction of any such actions or proceedings commenced to recover the possession of such devices.

C. Devices other than those referred to in subsection B, including firearms seized under this title shall, after final disposition of the case, be returned to the person from whom the device was seized. If the person from whom the device was seized cannot be located or ascertained, the device seized shall be retained by the department at least ninety days after final disposition of the case, and all devices so held by the department may be:

1. Sold annually.

2. Destroyed only if considered a prohibited or defaced weapon, as defined in section 13-3101, except that any seized firearm registered in the national firearms registry and transfer records of the United States treasury department or has been classified as a curio or relic by the United States treasury department shall not be destroyed.

D. If no complaint is filed pursuant to this title, the device shall be returned to the person from whom seized within thirty days from the date seized.

E. A complete report of all wildlife and devices seized by the department showing a description of the items, the person from whom it was seized, if known, and a record of the disposition shall be kept by the department. The money derived from the sale of any devices shall be deposited in the game and fish fund.

This direct from the AGFD's 2017-2018 Regulations booklet:

From pg. 109

20. Take means pursuing, shooting, hunting, fishing, trapping, killing, capturing, snaring or netting wildlife or the placing or using of any net or other device or trap in a manner that may result in the capturing or killing of wildlife.

From pg. 105

Take/Hunt From A Vehicle (A.R.S. 17-301 B, R12-4-319) Pages 108 and 130 No person may take wildlife from a motor vehicle, watercraft or aircraft, except as permitted by Commission Order, and under the provisions of the Challenged Hunter Access Mobility Permit Commission Rule (R12-4217). Take, as defined by law, includes pursuing, shooting, hunting and killing wildlife. You are unlawfully using a vehicle to take wildlife if you intentionally drive around until you see the animal you wish to harvest and then make an attempt to take. Road hunting is illegal; so is pursuing wildlife with a vehicle, chasing or heading off moving wildlife with a vehicle, and driving off-road to get closer to wildlife. You do not have to shoot from the vehicle to be in violation.