new matrix string seems shorter??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sonnyboy

new matrix string seems shorter??

Post by sonnyboy »

When I first got my matrix 380, it had a blue string. I shot it for a while, then switched to boo strings. I found that I lost 30fps in arrow speed over excaliber stock matric strings. I sighted in with Flemish boo string, an took that off to put a new ,out of box ,grey (matric-said it on the box) string. When I put the new matrix string on, I had a heck of a time getting the loops to go over the limb ends(barely fought it over) an the brace height was 1 1/4 inch back from the correct 1'' prescribed correct string setting. I sure didn't twist the string like the boo string to get the string tightened to make the 1" spot......Is this matrix string (grey) factory stock string correct? will it stretch to give me the 1" setting?? If the original blue factory string(came with the crossbow) was faster then Flemish strings, will the grey(did they make them in grey?)string be equal to original factory string without putting any twist in the string???.......crossbow won't be shot until I know if I did it right an all is ok!!!!......thanks..............sonnyboy :crazy: :shock:
hunter with MS

Re: new matrix string seems shorter??

Post by hunter with MS »

It will stretch . you could also untwist it a little be careful not to untwist it to much. shooting it will stretch it some times I start out with a new string back way from the line I have never had anything go wrong .
janesy

Post by janesy »

30 fps is a little much. :shock: maybe 5.

The mew matrix strings are a little shorter because of the new micro riser they use on the Bulldog series. It'll stretch out. They come in all sorts of colours
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

When I added a Boo string to my M380 I gained 6fps from the factory grey string. The M380 directions say the brace height is supposed to be less than 1”. The factory string as it came on the bow was set 1” and after 30 shots it was at 1/2”. The Boo string was indexed for installation and was more than 1” brace height. I left it cocked overnight and then shot 50 shots and it barely touched the bumpers. My Dad twisted it a little and it has remained 1/4” off bumpers.
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

shot a lot yesterday through the crono with 4 Flemish and1 factory matrix zombie green.. Flemish were from 2 great makers on here. Flemish shot 4-5fps slower that's all..30fps that's crazy even with sound deading doo dads..there is a shorter string for bull dog and swept back risers (1/2" ?)

(i did do a bit of twisting both ways to get my brace height right for each string)
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

going to flemish is always gonna cost in speed. one reason why i actually luv the factory strings for my Excals that i want to shoot top speeds. ive played with twisting up higher brace heights and id say you could get maybe 6-10fps difference depending on string or model.
Boo

Post by Boo »

In the Matrix bows, the lower the brace height the faster arrow. While a string is settling in, you will lose speed. Some of the energy normally used to push the arrow is going into the string creep (creep is the permanent elongation of the string and stretch is temporary, AKA elasticity).
Also if you are not using a light kit in doors with no florescent lights or if you are too close to the chronograph or if you are not shooting parallel to your chronograph, you many be getting errors in your speed readings.
When you are installing a string, install it anticipating string creep. There's absolutely no reason to install a string at your target braceheight when you know the string will creep in a few shots and be too close to your bumpers. That is why new strings and strings as they come on new bows are seemingly too short, which they aren't.
I have an Equinox that has had a Danny Miller Flemish string on it for 2 years and has not been shot for that period of time. It is in a warm room, hit with sun light (windows facing south). That string has only dropped 1/2" in braceheight. You need to shoot the bow to get the string to creep to it's final length. No amount of farting around will get you to your final string length.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

Sounds like you need to adjust your crossbow stringer to pull the limbs farther, and is the brace height on a matrix 1”?
SEW

Post by SEW »

janesy wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:44 am
Speeds can vary quite a bit. I have strings that range from 99gs to 210gs. There is a wide variance in the speeds these strings yield.
I’ve found that the lighter flemish strings (108-110gs) and the factory (DM) strings (99-100gs) are very close in speeds.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

janesy wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:44 am

The mew matrix strings are a little shorter because of the new micro riser they use on the Bulldog series. It'll stretch out. They come in all sorts of colours
I have found 4-5 FPS to be the rule unless you have a heavy strand count in thicker string material. It's all about the finished weight of the string in most cases.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Post by janesy »

Ill qualify that with, most strings readily available without ordering something specific will typically amount to 5 fps loss.
SEW is absolutly correct, its very possible, but I wouldnt say its common to loose 30 fps :thumbup:
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
sonnyboy

Post by sonnyboy »

Ferguson Outfitters wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:34 am
Sounds like you need to adjust your crossbow stringer to pull the limbs farther, and is the brace height on a matrix 1”?
nooo, the brace height, with a new non twisted factory string, is exactly 1 1/4". I sure don't want to twist the string an shorten it. My friend bought his matrix when I got mine. They are exactly the same, an his crossbow is much faster arrow speed......I like the looks of the Flemish strings, but it is slower on my crossbow for some reason.....................????..................sonny :wtf:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Take the string off, measure it at the brace height you have now holding the loops on your pinky finger tips. 3/8" hooks would be better, but let us know what you get. I'll send you a Flemish String, on me. My Matrix 380 takes a string 1/4" longer than my Matrix 330 at the same brace height, go figure, but it is what it is. Heck, if you know the length you want, you can order one from any of the String Makers on the Trading Post too!

Dan
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!