Striped Threads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mr meat

Striped Threads

Post by mr meat »

:thumbdown: was putting a bow together and I striped the hole in the rail closes to the trigger that holds the stock on! So how do I fix it, re tap with same size or go 1 size bigger and what size is 1 bigger
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
tremps01

Re: Striped Threads

Post by tremps01 »

Here what i do, I use an piece of an aluminium angle bar more thicker than the rail, re tap with same size and blocked it with 2 little block of rigid styrofoam front and rear to keep the al. angle in place I think it's 10/32 thread???

Marcel
Micro suppressor 355
Boo string force 10.
Drstirrup complete kit.
Marcel
Normous

Post by Normous »

Same as Marcel I tap a 3/16 to 1/4" thick aluminum bar and JB weld it inside the mainframe. I cut the aluminum as wide as the inner mainframe so that it cannot swivel.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

That had crossed my mind! Thanks guys
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Did much the same except with the bolt further out on the forearm of my Matrix 380.
Guess that will teach me for switching out triggers so much! :lol:

The answer I got here then was get a Helicoil kit.
I did, and it worked very VERY well.
In fact, I would be damn surprised if anyone could ever apply enough force to dislodge it ever.

http://www.helicoil.in/helicoil.htm

And now that kit never leaves my bow bag of goodies.
Never needed it again, but good insurance just in case... :thumbup:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Tangle Eye

Post by Tangle Eye »

I was gonna respond earlier and suggest the Helicoil kit but couldn’t remember the name of it. That thing is the bomb for repairing stripped threads. Check it out.
———————————————————————————————————
Excalibur Assassin w/ Boo Force 10 string

If you always do what you always did, you’ll always get what you always got.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

For thin walled applications these work good .
https://www.rivetsonline.com/rivet-nuts-threaded-inserts
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Doe Master wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:49 pm
Some pretty good options here! Thanks.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

in the past ive tapped up a size. 12 -24 size. not sure why went with 10-32 with the stock screws. those finer threads to me are askin for stripping. the quiver mount holes down on the end use 10-24.
Boo

Post by Boo »

foofoo wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:07 pm
in the past ive tapped up a size. 12 -24 size. not sure why went with 10-32 with the stock screws. those finer threads to me are askin for stripping. the quiver mount holes down on the end use 10-24.
Fine threads give more thread contact and better leverage for the threads to hold. Fine threads also require less torque to hold parts together or hold more with less torque. That is why they are used on some car suspension parts and other critical parts like connecting rods. Your use of a larger fastener is a great idea but it would be much better with fine threads.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Boo

Post by Boo »

Doe Master wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:49 pm
Rivet nuts work really well. In the automotive business we use them to fasten things onto sheetmetal.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

closer threads make skip and tear out easier in soft metal. ive owned a boat load of older Horton crossbow with never a stripped bolt thread. the common thing is that they always used coarse threads. people like me :eh: sometimes honk down on stock bolts. the result is stripped threads. i dont understand why only a few inches down the rail Excal went with coarse threads for the quiver mount. popping the quiver on and off or yankin arrows out youd think would stress but ive never stripped a quiver mount hole.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Fine threads yield more threads in a given thickness of material. Conversely, the threads are narrower so more prone to stripping if over tightened. So maybe you're right that people are over tightening those fasteners. Another good quality of coarse threads is that it is more difficult to cross thread, another possibility.
When you said "closer threads make skip and tear out easier in soft metal." I think you're saying that it is easier to tap a coarse thread and have a better/smoother thread engagement surface, agreed on that. But if you look at how Excalibur make their threaded holes. They use roll or forming taps which are entirely cool. No flutes/cutting edges. They push material away with no tearing and a perfect thread.
BTW, when I was helping Trigger Tech with their final development, I probably had my stock off of my Exocet 200 60 to 70 times with no problems. Maybe being a mechanic by trade, I don't over torque or screw up enough to damage the threads in my mainframe. I used a T handle tool to limit the torque on the fasteners.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Don, you're right on about the fine threads, but most people don't live in the engineering world. I get a load of bunk from our Maintenance group when we choose fine threads. Although the really are much better, they don't seem to survive the wrecking crew! :lol: :lol: Yes, alignment is more important, and no long wrenches, or extenders are not needed. :eusa-deadhorse:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
taz3

Post by taz3 »

A good practice to help prevent cross threading, is to turn the bolt counter clockwise while gent push into the threaded opening until you feel it click, then you can proceed to turn it clockwise. This allows the threads to seat correctly prior to threading parts together. It can be done with tools, but it is a "feel" thing that works best with your bare fingers.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting