Cold Weather Hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Diamond4

Cold Weather Hunting

Post by Diamond4 »

Hello Xbow bro's????
question what do you wear for socks, and boots in extreme cold weather. I use Wool, and 1000gr insulated rubber boots, but it doesn't seam to help after 4 hours or so in the loc-on stand.. I have tried everything, to bring a extra pair in, and change out on stand, from feet sweating walking to stand, any suggestion...
Micro Suppressor 355
Black Eagle Executioner Arrows 110 grain inserts
Scope Hawke XB1 1.5-5×32 SR
100gr slick tricks
Spitfire XXX For Crossbow 100gr
MunchMount quiver mount
Charger Crank EXT
BrotherRon

Re: Cold Weather Hunting

Post by BrotherRon »

I also have trouble with cold feet when hunting late season. I have started using Hot Hands "Toe Warmers"
They stick to the bottom of your sock under the toes and help a lot. They are best used with thick socks and boots that can breath since they require air to work properly. Rubber boots can't breath and only add to the problem making your feet colder because of the sweat/moisture in your boots.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
janesy

Post by janesy »

Merino Wool.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

I LIKE remote control heated insoles by Thermacel.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
janesy

Post by janesy »

Actually , a real game changer for me was to shelve the fancy expensive camo thinsulate boots and go with my good old fashion sorel glaciers.
That and isolate your feet from the metal on the stand and it will buy you lots of time
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Normous wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:30 pm
I LIKE remote control heated insoles by Thermacel.
X2. I walk to my stand. Pull off my socks. Dry my feet. Put on dry socks. When my toes get cold turn on the thermocell heated insoles. I'm good for 4hrs or more... ;)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
roly

Post by roly »

I have always suffered from cold feet. I have a ton of boots that I’ve bought only to be disappointed, although the muck boots I bought last year did help a bit. Hot packs and heated insoles good for about 10 to 15 mins. I do agree on the Merino wool is good stuff.

Last year I bought a “ half in the bag” suit which is similar to a heater body suit but it only comes up to your chest. It really worked for me, I was able to sit on stand for 4 or 5 hours and be quite comfortable in - 15 deg. C. They are a bit combersume but a definite game changer for me.

I think I paid $175 on sale for it about half the price of most of my pairs of boots.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

In very cold weather I use boot blankets that are supposed to go over your hunting boots but I use them buy Carrying them out take off my walking boots put my feet into goose down botties.Then into the boot blankets and a hand warmer under each toe. It is a pain to change into but my feet stay warm setting on stand from 430am untill we meat for lunch at 1:00 .do not walk on wet snow with the boot blankets though or you will get wet feet.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Buy boots a size or two larger than you normally wear.
Heavy wool socks and that extra room inside the boots helps!
wabi
Boo

Post by Boo »

Aside from the obvious, heavily insulated boots and thick socks, I have found 2 things helpful. First and most importantly, I remove my liners and use a forced air boot drier. Dry boots are warmer than damp boots and once damp, air drying doesn't cut it. Second is that I bring a moderately thin but packable seeping bag that I slip into.
I use these boots (oversize to accommodate thick socks) http://www.baffin.com/product-p/epicm004.htm It's important that you do not have a snug fit.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

#1 get rid of rubber in cold weather - rubber boots will basically freeze thus complicating the problem of cold feet.

buy a pair of Irish setter winter insulated boots! Add toe warmers or heated insoles will help

My B-inlaw has always had cold feet on stand . till this yr. I gave him a pair of boot warmers. they fit over your hunting boots.

he'd stick a pair of toe warmers on the top of the toe portion of his irsh setters and then slip boots into the boot warmers . he stayed on stand all day- first time his feet never got cold in 30 yrs of hunting and trying everything

not the cheapy artic shield these things are jumbo boot warmers -

I bet an old sleeping bag cut and sewn to slip both feet in would b work too
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

I use mickey boots. I have the black ones, single layer felt. Several friends have the white ones that are double layer felt. The white ones are so big, they can be clumsy. There hasnt been one complaint of cold feet in our group of friends in the 12yrs since we got them.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Lacrosse Ice Kings for me and a good pair of wool socks . never get cold feet bought a pair In 95 and still use them . :thumbup:
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Quote... by elkaholic » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:05 am

#1 get rid of rubber in cold weather - rubber boots will basically freeze thus complicating the problem of cold feet.
buy a pair of Irish setter winter insulated boots! Add toe warmers or heated insoles will help

This is the setup I use. Irish setter 1400 gram thinsulate with toe warmers.
Ron
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
tcwild

Post by tcwild »

Here is what I have done for several years. My boots have 1200 gram of Thinsulate and are a size larger than normal. I wear a wool blend sock that isn't overly thick and only one pair , two drives me crazy. Then I put one of the foot shaped sized foot warmers on the bottom and a toasty toes stick on, on the top. And I don't tighten my laces very tight. This has kept me warm for hours in some preety cold stuff for this area -5 to -10. I don't put those boots on until I'm leaving the truck to go to the stand or blind.