Do you Canadians want better legislation for your firearms?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Do you Canadians want better legislation for your firearms?

Post by Boo »

You had better sign this petition (electronically).

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-1608
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Re: Do you Canadians want better legislation for your firearms?

Post by janesy »

Yep come on people!

In forwarding this to everyone I can as well
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
taz3

Post by taz3 »

I've signed the petition, but I'm still worried because the :eusa-liar: in charge will still be in charge. To bad we can't convince everyone to stop voting for the dunce party :eusa-deadhorse:
Last edited by taz3 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
taz3

Post by taz3 »

duplicate :oops:
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

I think we can add a lead ammunition ban to this as well.

This is my opinion but I am sorry to say that I think my assessment is correct.

Due to my involvement in our club, I received this email';

Dear Sir/ Madam:

Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) would like your feedback on the recently published report on lead ammunition uses and releases in Canada. This report is available here:

Moving towards using more lead-free ammunition - Canada.ca.

This study, along with feedback received, will inform the development of an approach for encouraging lead-free ammunition in Canada. We welcome you to be part of this and future conversations on this subject. The easiest way to engage is by sending us your comments by email [email protected] June 1, 2018.

When they say "looking for feedback" I am pretty sure they are going through them motions, and it will be done, not sure when, but IMHO it is inevitable.

Here is a quote from the conclusion page of one of the attachment, bolding is mine;

Increased uses of alternatives to lead are not expected in the BAU (business as usual) scenario as many end users of ammunition are very resistant to change, refuse to discuss the science regarding the toxicity of lead 129 ammunition, deny there is a problem, continue to argue that the alternatives and don’t work despite evidence to the contrary, and have indicated that any discussion on lead in ammunition is an unfair attack on their sport and gun ownership in general. In addition, alternatives are more expensive than lead and ammunition users appear to be very price sensitive even though ammunition is a very small portion of the overall expenditures associated with their sport. The primary alternative to lead shot is steel (iron) shot for shotgun cartridges. This is the most cost-effective alternative for lead shot and is currently the most widely used non-toxic shot for hunting migratory birds. The primary alternatives for lead-based bullets for hunting are 100% copper bullets or copper-zinc alloy bullets (90% copper). A range of other lead-free alternatives also exist and include tungsten-based shot and bismuth-based shot. Currently available lead-free alternatives can have equivalent performance to traditional lead ammunition, are non-toxic compared to lead shot, and the increased costs associated with the alternatives are minimal when compared to overall annual expenditures of hunters and sport shooters on their sports.

1.) The alternatives really don't work as well. As far as I know, there are very few non-lead .22LR rounds, lead is needed for traditional round ball muzzle loaders, steel shot will ruin many older clay target guns and/or mean they will no longer be able to be used. It likely means that any vintage cartridge rifles will become wall hangers, or, you might as well turn them in.

2.) If it is not an attack on gun ownership, it will certainly do, until something better comes along.

3.) Ammunition is a small portion of the overall expenditure associated with their sport, REALLY? On what planet, for clay target shooters, we are dealing with people that have the power to present research, or make regulations, that don't know details like this, and don't care if they don't know. (For those not familiar with dedicated trap or skeet competitors, the annual ammunition cost can be $1,500.00 to $5,000.00/year, buying the "cheap stuff")
10Ring
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

I'm signed in.
Hank
Boo

Post by Boo »

10Ring wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:54 pm
I think we can add a lead ammunition ban to this as well.

This is my opinion but I am sorry to say that I think my assessment is correct.

Due to my involvement in our club, I received this email';

Dear Sir/ Madam:

Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) would like your feedback on the recently published report on lead ammunition uses and releases in Canada. This report is available here:

Moving towards using more lead-free ammunition - Canada.ca.

This study, along with feedback received, will inform the development of an approach for encouraging lead-free ammunition in Canada. We welcome you to be part of this and future conversations on this subject. The easiest way to engage is by sending us your comments by email [email protected] June 1, 2018.

When they say "looking for feedback" I am pretty sure they are going through them motions, and it will be done, not sure when, but IMHO it is inevitable.

Here is a quote from the conclusion page of one of the attachment, bolding is mine;

Increased uses of alternatives to lead are not expected in the BAU (business as usual) scenario as many end users of ammunition are very resistant to change, refuse to discuss the science regarding the toxicity of lead 129 ammunition, deny there is a problem, continue to argue that the alternatives and don’t work despite evidence to the contrary, and have indicated that any discussion on lead in ammunition is an unfair attack on their sport and gun ownership in general. In addition, alternatives are more expensive than lead and ammunition users appear to be very price sensitive even though ammunition is a very small portion of the overall expenditures associated with their sport. The primary alternative to lead shot is steel (iron) shot for shotgun cartridges. This is the most cost-effective alternative for lead shot and is currently the most widely used non-toxic shot for hunting migratory birds. The primary alternatives for lead-based bullets for hunting are 100% copper bullets or copper-zinc alloy bullets (90% copper). A range of other lead-free alternatives also exist and include tungsten-based shot and bismuth-based shot. Currently available lead-free alternatives can have equivalent performance to traditional lead ammunition, are non-toxic compared to lead shot, and the increased costs associated with the alternatives are minimal when compared to overall annual expenditures of hunters and sport shooters on their sports.

1.) The alternatives really don't work as well. As far as I know, there are very few non-lead .22LR rounds, lead is needed for traditional round ball muzzle loaders, steel shot will ruin many older clay target guns and/or mean they will no longer be able to be used. It likely means that any vintage cartridge rifles will become wall hangers, or, you might as well turn them in.

2.) If it is not an attack on gun ownership, it will certainly do, until something better comes along.

3.) Ammunition is a small portion of the overall expenditure associated with their sport, REALLY? On what planet, for clay target shooters, we are dealing with people that have the power to present research, or make regulations, that don't know details like this, and don't care if they don't know. (For those not familiar with dedicated trap or skeet competitors, the annual ammunition cost can be $1,500.00 to $5,000.00/year, buying the "cheap stuff")
This kind of info is great, we all need to see it. But more importantly, we all need to sign the petition and we all need to vote the Liberals out!
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

Boo wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:19 pm
we all need to vote the Liberals out!
ABSOLUTEY agree, both provincial and federal!
10Ring
Boo

Post by Boo »

10Ring wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:39 pm
Boo wrote:
Ah! Good point! :thumbup: Those Quebec Liberals already have their own provincial gun registry! :wtf:

This is our MP (Conservative for Durham) Erin O'Toole, running for the next federal election. (This is a quote from a gunblog.)
https://thegunblog.ca/2017/03/12/erin-otoole-scrap-canada-firearms-act-elected-pm/
"Erin O’Toole deepened his commitment to Canada’s millions of shooters today, pledging to scrap the country’s complex and restrictive Firearms Act if he wins the vote to lead the Conservative Party and is elected Prime Minister."
janesy

Post by janesy »

Boo wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:57 pm
10Ring wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:39 pm
Boo wrote:
Ah! Good point! :thumbup: Those Quebec Liberals already have their own provincial gun registry! :wtf:

This is our MP (Conservative for Durham) Erin O'Toole, running for the next federal election. (This is a quote from a gunblog.)
https://thegunblog.ca/2017/03/12/erin-otoole-scrap-canada-firearms-act-elected-pm/
"Erin O’Toole deepened his commitment to Canada’s millions of shooters today, pledging to scrap the country’s complex and restrictive Firearms Act if he wins the vote to lead the Conservative Party and is elected Prime Minister."
I'm paying more attention now!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

That and make Boofest a National Holiday long weekend and I am in. :thumbup: