Excalibur 405 riser opinion

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CrazyCrayon

Excalibur 405 riser opinion

Post by CrazyCrayon »

I'm sending in something else for warranty work and I'm considering also sending in my old limbs/riser for the new version. That way I can combine shipping. How much FPS will I lose and do you guys think it's worth the loss? There aren't issues at the moment but they've told me a few times that I could send it in to keep it from splitting. Also would I get both new limbs and riser or just the riser? Thanks.
janesy

Re: Excalibur 405 riser opinion

Post by janesy »

If it not broke , why fix it?.

There are more 405's out there that did not have problems than did. You are good to go.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

If it was me, I wouldn't worry about it unless I had a problem.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

i would send the riser in. cant hurt. they will take a little radius off the shelf where the limbs leave the riser and install spacers that allow the limbs to breathe at the recoil plates. you shouldnt loose any speed if your limbs are already getting 405fps. my guess the reason you dont see as many limb failures with Matrix 405-s i believe is due to the fact many of the Mega 405 Matrix got chopped down to 350-s models. there was also an issue with what youll read as cooked limbs early on but now they have the limbs finished in house or something like that. i gotta believe the failure rate is a combo of all things and having mine sent in havent had any issues. good luck with what you decide!
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

If you never had a limb failure dont send it in. Mega is speed bow. Thats just me. :eusa-naughty:
SEW

Post by SEW »

foofoo wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:02 am
i would send the riser in. cant hurt. they will take a little radius off the shelf where the limbs leave the riser and install spacers that allow the limbs to breathe at the recoil plates. you shouldnt loose any speed if your limbs are already getting 405fps. my guess the reason you dont see as many limb failures with Matrix 405-s i believe is due to the fact many of the Mega 405 Matrix got chopped down to 350-s models. there was also an issue with what youll read as cooked limbs early on but now they have the limbs finished in house or something like that. i gotta believe the failure rate is a combo of all things and having mine sent in havent had any issues. good luck with what you decide!
I did and am glad I did. The riser will come back improved and your 405 will have a lessened chance of future failure. Limbs ? If they’re starting to crack from a cut, I expect they’ll be replaced.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

if you dont send the riser in i would at least get the new spacers. chocking those limbs at the recoil plates in my opinion cant be good. ive been running my modded riser and spacers a few years now. no issues and only run factory strings.
CrazyCrayon

Post by CrazyCrayon »

foofoo wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:50 pm
if you dont send the riser in i would at least get the new spacers. chocking those limbs at the recoil plates in my opinion cant be good. ive been running my modded riser and spacers a few years now. no issues and only run factory strings.
Well I have the airbrakes on.
CrazyCrayon

Post by CrazyCrayon »

I found a slight little split in it. It looked like a splinter was just starting. so I sent it in.
SEW

Post by SEW »

CrazyCrayon wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:54 pm
I found a slight little split in it. It looked like a splinter was just starting. so I sent it in.
I think most non-mod’d risers / limbs are like this. That is for earlier generation Matrix and BD series (the only ones I have). When I first got my M380 5-6 years ago, I personally rounded the riser edges and opened up riser pocket so the limbs wouldn’t be so tight. Excaliburs were new to me. I disassembled it to become more familiar with it. Immediately, the problem of impringed limbs, the still widened limb contour within the limb pocket thus flexure resulting in slight widening of the limb during use - at least that’s how I reasoned, the sharp edges of the riser had already slightly grooved the limbs even before ever shooting it.

My M380 is my oldest of my 4 Excaliburs ( M380 5-6 years, 405 4-5, BD400 3, 405 used 1 year) and is the only one with limbs that had no beginning cracks in the limbs other than the initial scratches. Why I didn’t modify each of the others is beyond me.
I sent in the other 3 risers/limbs, got a new (perfect) BD riser, modified/reworked M risers, and new limbs.

The M380 has over 4,000 trouble free shots. The other 3 , totaling less than the 4,000+ shots, all had fracturing limbs. Any one with good machining skills (Dremel would work well, or good dental drills / slowspeed handpieces), could easily modify a Matrix/Micro themselves; however, the new BD riser is a work of art.

In conclusion, I believe Excalibur is on the right track for what people really WANT and actually need. With the riser and limb strap redesign, I’m convinced Excalibur is positioned to be back on top.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I had my riser modified for a Matrix 410, (it’s a slightly longer draw than a 405mega), and though I have not chronographed this setup, I like the peace of mind in knowing I have a reliable performer. It’s plenty fast and I haven’t had a limb issue since the mod, (2 years). It could also be that they have since perfected the limb recipe.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits