Thoughts on Bolt Weight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

taz3

Thoughts on Bolt Weight

Post by taz3 »

My practice bolts are 375 grains and my hunting bolts are presently at 395 grains. With my Xbow capable of 370 fps with my practice bolts, speed isn't a concern, so I'm thinking I'll add weight until I see a trajectory change at 40yards with broad heads. Where I hunt is a well wooded area and 30-40 yards is usually the furthest I can shoot. I do have some arrows fletched with short cut turkey feathers, they're almost 12 grains lighter then blazer fletching my foc.

What do you folks take into consideration when setting up your bolts for weight?
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
xcaliber

Re: Thoughts on Bolt Weight

Post by xcaliber »

A few years ago I did a range study with my Matrix 355 & Matrix 330 changing my heads only from 100 to 125 grains. Both bows were dialed in from 20 through 50 yards with the lighter heads. Going to the heavier with no adjustments yielded no change until 40 yards which was 1/4" lower, and 1/2" lower at 50 yards consistently. I'll be very interested in your results. :eusa-popcorn:
Last edited by xcaliber on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

:eusa-popcorn:
Tangle Eye

Post by Tangle Eye »

xcaliber wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:25 pm
A few years ago I did a range study with my Matrix 355 & Matrix 330 changing my heads only from 100 to 125 grains. Both bows were dialed in from 20 through 50 yards with the lighter heads. Going to the heavier with no adjustments yielded no change until 40 yards which was 1)4" lower, and 1/2" lower at 50 yards consistently. I'll be very interested in your results. :eusa-popcorn:
Interesting. I was just thinking about this tonight. I have my Assassin all set up like I want it with 100 grain target points and broadheads on a 400 grain arrow. I have also made some 400 grain arrows for my Micro 335 but they use a 125 grain point. The Micro 335 is currently a "backup" bow in case the Assassin goes down. I wondered what would happen if I used 100 grain broadheads on it if it were set up for 125 grain broadheads (basically a 375 grain arrow instead of a 400 grain arrow but with a different FOC) - haven't tried it yet though. Apparently from your test there isn't much difference at typical hunting distances. I'll have to try it myself but your results give me hope that I could just go with the 100 grain broadheads on the 335 in a pinch and not worry about it. :clap:
———————————————————————————————————
Excalibur Assassin w/ Boo Force 10 string

If you always do what you always did, you’ll always get what you always got.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Tangle Eye wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:33 pm
xcaliber wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:25 pm
A few years ago I did a range study with my Matrix 355 & Matrix 330 changing my heads only from 100 to 125 grains. Both bows were dialed in from 20 through 50 yards with the lighter heads. Going to the heavier with no adjustments yielded no change until 40 yards which was 1)4" lower, and 1/2" lower at 50 yards consistently. I'll be very interested in your results. :eusa-popcorn:
Interesting. I was just thinking about this tonight. I have my Assassin all set up like I want it with 100 grain target points and broadheads on a 400 grain arrow. I have also made some 400 grain arrows for my Micro 335 but they use a 125 grain point. The Micro 335 is currently a "backup" bow in case the Assassin goes down. I wondered what would happen if I used 100 grain broadheads on it if it were set up for 125 grain broadheads (basically a 375 grain arrow instead of a 400 grain arrow but with a different FOC) - haven't tried it yet though. Apparently from your test there isn't much difference at typical hunting distances. I'll have to try it myself but your results give me hope that I could just go with the 100 grain broadheads on the 335 in a pinch and not worry about it. :clap:
I don't know if FOC changes from rear weight adjustments will have similar effects. I just changed one thing, the head weight, and yes the FOC increased by doing this, but all up front. I'm going to do this all over again soon with the 380 & 330 Matrix, and 355 Micro as I am just right on arrow length to use the same ones on all 3 models. I just want know! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!