Can't get to proper brace height - puzzled?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tangle Eye

Can't get to proper brace height - puzzled?

Post by Tangle Eye »

I had a 60X string on my gen 1 Micro 335 and the serving started to separate today. So I took it off and put on a brand new Excalibur string. It was, of course, pretty far away from proper brace height since it was new. I've shot around 30 shots with it now and have untwisted it as far as I dare (still about 2 full twists left in the string) and I'm still 1/4 inch away from proper brace height as marked on the rail and also that far away from the DrStirrup dbKillers (the string is supposed to touch those when properly adjusted).

Its been a while since I've used a factory string but I wouldn't think they'd have 1/4 inch of stretch left in them after 30 shots. AFAIK the bow is dead stock as far an limbs and riser. I bought it from the original owner who told me he'd never had any limb issues. Any chance the gen 1 Micro 335s are different somehow from current measurements and therefore the current factory string?

What are your thoughts?
———————————————————————————————————
Excalibur Assassin w/ Boo Force 10 string

If you always do what you always did, you’ll always get what you always got.
xcaliber

Re: Can't get to proper brace height - puzzled?

Post by xcaliber »

There are some variations on length depending on when it was made. I would suggest leaving the twists in, leave it cocked for a period of time, or better yet shoot the snot out of it. If you got it from Danny Miller, or Excalibur, they'll cover you for another one. I would suggest getting one of the string makers on the Trading Post to make you a Flemish in the colors you like, and try maybe two twisters to see what you like, you'll never go back!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Danny Miller and I believe Boo also has told me to keep the string from 1/8-1/4” away from the string stops. I have never came close to the string resting on the string stops. I only use Flemish strings now. My last string from Boo is awesome!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

I'd keep shooting it. If it hasnt settled in after a week and numerois shots. Maybe you have an issue.

I find they don't stretch right away when you are looking at it, and then out of the blue some time later they are perfect. Time is the best way IMHO.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

On mine, I have shot it several times thinking it would stretch a little but it is still over 1/2” away from the stoppers. In the same place where it was set when I walked of the bow shop with it.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Sorry we posted at the same time
Tangle Eye

Post by Tangle Eye »

I have a Flemish string that actually came with it but I need to reserve it. I'll let it sit some more, shoot some more, and may leave it cocked overnight just to see if that helps.

As for the bumper, you are supposed to leave 1/8 to 1/4 between the string on the Excalibur bumpers. The DrStirrup dbKillers are designed for the string to touch them but its nowhere close now. Maybe by tomorrow though.
———————————————————————————————————
Excalibur Assassin w/ Boo Force 10 string

If you always do what you always did, you’ll always get what you always got.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

That string will stretch a lot more than that. It takes quite a bit more shots to break in a endless loop than flemish string. Keep shooting. :thumbup:
Hank
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

hankenhunter wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:28 am
That string will stretch a lot more than that. It takes quite a bit more shots to break in a endless loop than flemish string. It helps to leave it cocked overnight. Won't hurt the bow. Keep shooting. :thumbup:
Hank
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

That was a wacky edit. :problem:
Hank
janesy

Post by janesy »

Tangle Eye wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:12 am

As for the bumper, you are supposed to leave 1/8 to 1/4 between the string on the Excalibur bumpers. The DrStirrup dbKillers are designed for the string to touch them but its nowhere close now. Maybe by tomorrow though.
Correct.
I always figured that it leaves the factory and possibly sits in the box for months on a shelf somewhere before it stretches itself out. Shoot it 30-50 more times before you even measure it again.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Sit it out in the direct sun one day when you can and it'll help tremendously .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
taz3

Post by taz3 »

I just put a new string on my Matrix and it was a half inch from the stops and after a few shots it has moved a 1/4 ". I'll be leaving it cocked over night and more practice to get more stretch out it. I'd like to have a couple more twists in my string as well.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Boo

Post by Boo »

hankenhunter wrote:
That string will stretch a lot more than that. It takes quite a bit more shots to break in a endless loop than flemish string. Keep shooting. :thumbup:
Hank
I believe patience is a virtue that is not always readily found today. :eusa-deadhorse: I remember someone here arguing with another member who made a string for him. The argument was that the string was too short and the argument got somewhat bitter. :wtf: Knowing better, I asked that the purchaser send me the string to correct. While that string was too short in it's current form, I knew it had to be shot to get the creep out of the string. Rather than shoot it myself, I put it on my string stretching rack and left it on for a few hours under moderate tension and burnished it until the string was long enough to immediately have the proper brace height. I then sent it back and of course the string buyer was happy with the length. However, when I told him that all I did was to simply put it on a rack in lieu of shooting it, I got no acknowledgement and I'm sure the guy who made the string did not get an apology. Amazing! :sick:
Simply put, the newer you guys are at these bows, the less realistic you are about strings. For the money paid to Danny by the factory, you cannot expect him to spend an hour more of less on getting all the creep out of each and every string.
Nothing changes in life, you pay less and you get less. The factory string is not cheap nor is it crappy. It is an inexpensive, cost effective string that requires some work on the shooter's end. No more, no less.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Boo wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:14 pm
hankenhunter wrote:
Hank
I believe patience is a virtue that is not always readily found today. :eusa-deadhorse: I remember someone here arguing with another member who made a string for him. The argument was that the string was too short and the argument got somewhat bitter. :wtf: Knowing better, I asked that the purchaser send me the string to correct. While that string was too short in it's current form, I knew it had to be shot to get the creep out of the string. Rather than shoot it myself, I put it on my string stretching rack and left it on for a few hours under moderate tension and burnished it until the string was long enough to immediately have the proper brace height. I then sent it back and of course the string buyer was happy with the length. However, when I told him that all I did was to simply put it on a rack in lieu of shooting it, I got no acknowledgement and I'm sure the guy who made the string did not get an apology. Amazing! :sick:
Simply put, the newer you guys are at these bows, the less realistic you are about strings. For the money paid to Danny by the factory, you cannot expect him to spend an hour more of less on getting all the creep out of each and every string.
Nothing changes in life, you pay less and you get less. The factory string is not cheap nor is it crappy. It is an inexpensive, cost effective string that requires some work on the shooter's end. No more, no less.
Very well said !!!
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]