How early in the morning do you get in your stand?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

shifty

How early in the morning do you get in your stand?

Post by shifty »

I would like to find out how early guys are getting in to there stands before sunrise as to not to spook the deer .And are you pushing deer away as you try and get in there or do most guys just leave most of there hunting to evenings?
wabi

Post by wabi »

That's where a trail cam comes in handy because most can be set to time stamp pics and let you know when the deer are moving. My primary stand is at a feeder/food plot area and the deer tend to hit it about an hour before daylight then sometimes about an hour after daylight. I wait for enough light to see to get in without a flashlight. If deer are present I do not approach by my usual route & spook them, but either back off & wait or go in by another route and make enough noise to alert but not alarm them.
I find they sometimes hit it an hour or two before dark, so I usually go back in about 2 1/2 hours before dark. Evenings are best at the feeder site, so I limit morning hunts to one or two a week, but am there about every evening.
So far this season (16 evenings) I've seen 5 bucks, and 29 antlerless. One nice 8 pointer, but he didn't give me a shot, so I'm hoping he returns soon :wink:
wabi
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

I like to get into my stand a half hour before I see a hint of daylight. I think that is when the bush is the most alive. I also get a rush hearing something walking around near my stand and not being able to see what it is.
Spring

Post by Spring »

Let's see now. Shooting light is one half hour before sunrise. And I like to be in my stand and settled down one half hour before that.

Like others have said I sometimes move deer on the way in.

For evening hunts I like to be in about 3 hours before sunset.

Over the years I've pretty much mastered getting in and out in the dark without a flashlight. Although low, the risk is that there are sometimes poachers around and they have no respect for private property. There is always the possibility of someone taking a shot at me in the dark.

If I'm on Crown land I use a flashlight going in and out simply to be seen by poachers.

Cheers!