Spent some time with the Assassin today

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vaXbow

Spent some time with the Assassin today

Post by vaXbow »

Moon received his Assassin so I tied in a day of turkey hunting and shooting the Assassin. First impression: beautiful camo, tiny, and heavy as crap. Now the heavy as crap changes when you shoulder it. The weight is obviously in the crank and really isn’t felt when your aiming it. Because of some weight, it doesn’t dance around at all.

I got a demo of the bow at the Harrisburg Show and the entire cranking sequence seemed complicated to me. After shooting it really isn’t. If you shot a Ravin you saw how the trigger block would drop on its own. The Excal has resistance the entire way down so it won’t free fall. They machined grooves into the barrel and the block rides down them smoothly. It’s a pretty slick deal once you get comfy with it. The trigger is everything they say it is. Excal stepped it up big time. Interesting that the crank builds up and gets stiffer at the top. I would have assumed it would have been steady pressure the entire length. And I was wrong.

The bow has air brakes and plenty of rubber dampeners. The front end is quieter than the back end. There is some slight noise coming from the crank. It’s much louder to the shooter than standing to the side. Still quieter than the older bows with that ping sound.

Moon had arrows in the 370gr range and the bow netted 347fps. Like any Excal it’s crazy accurate. The adjustable stock is a great ideal and has a lot of adjustability. All the way out was too long for me. All the way in was too short. The knobs are metal so they should last.

I like what Excal did with this one. The price tag is just like the other new bows...steep. If you’re an Excal guy and the Micros are too stiff to cock, this is a great option if your wallet says so. Like the Sub1, the compactness shines here. If your interested in this bow I hope this thread helps.
The Horizontal Zone
[email protected]
otisbrazwell

Re: Spent some time with the Assassin today

Post by otisbrazwell »

:thumbup: nice write up
SEW

Re: Spent some time with the Assassin today

Post by SEW »

otisbrazwell wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:09 pm
:thumbup: nice write up
Very nice write-up. The Micro seems and Suppressor also seemed heavy to me. I think weight reduction should be Excalibur’s next goal.