Stalked two bucks this morning

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TAC

Stalked two bucks this morning

Post by TAC »

Instead of heading to some Crown Land east of me, this morning I thought I'd stay on my property.

Some deer have been bedding down along the railway tracks so I slowly walked along the railway ties until I came to the edge of the field where the gas line comes through.

This was about 30 minutes before dawn but my eyes caught a deer about 200 yds away in the middle of the field.

After getting a little closer, I could see another. One was quite a bit larger than the other so I figured it must be a doe and fawn. But once it got a little brighter, I could see through the scope that they both were bucks.

The larger of the two was very skittish and would stop eating every 15 seconds. The smaller buck was content just to keep his head down and munch away. They slowly started coming towards me but the big buck was now really skttish. I wasn't moving but a couple of cars, more than 250 yds away, were making him nervous.

I sat down and waited for them to come to me. After about 30 minutes, they were coming my way but suddenly the big buck, for no apparent reason, bolted. The smaller one followed shortly thereafter. It was getting brighter now but I was well hidden behind a large tree (and could barely see them, let alone them see me). They had a lot of forest to run to but of course they took off into my neighbour's and then his dogs started barking.

I saw these two bucks about a month ago. Guess I'll get up at the same time tomorrow too.

Definitely a rush and an exciting experience.
TAC

Post by TAC »

Geez, I forgot the most important part of my post.

It's the rush and excitement seeing a deer just out of range that I was craving when I decided to start x-bow hunting.

I could have taken either of those deer with a gun but not with an x-bow.

For me, that's the cool part.
peter p

Post by peter p »

Maybe they winded you.