luna terms for bowhunters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

J.J.K

luna terms for bowhunters

Post by J.J.K »

I found this in a bow hunting magazine I thought i would pass it along for anyone interested in hunting the moon phases.

Atumnal Equinox: the first day of fall, when there are 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness.

Pre- Rut Moon: the harvest moon or the first full moon after the fall equinox ( not always the same).

Rutting Moon: sometimes called the hunters moon, the second full moon after fall equinox. this begins the chase phase, which last through the third quarter.

Seeking Phase: begins three to four days before the rutting moon . ends two to three days after and is characterized by intense scraping.

Chase Phase: begins two days after the rutting moon and last three to four days into breeding phase. Also characterized by intense scraping.

Breeding Phase: begins seven days after the rutting moon and last 14 days. scraping ends.

With the rutting moon next week i hope the big boys will get on there feet and move during hunting hours for some reason they are very nocturnal this year. all the pictures on the trail camera of the nice bucks are being taken from midnight until around 4:ooam. :?

I hope this chart helps to understand the phases of the moon and how it affects the rut.

JJK
striper

Post by striper »

JJK: I really enjoyed the terms for the various stages of the rut. Our problem in Central Alabama is that the rut does not begin usually until mid-January, which is almost a month after the winter solstice! Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
TAC

Post by TAC »

Things might get thrown out of whack for the full Moon next Wednesday night (Hunter's Moon).

There's a lunar eclipse that night.

Todd
bigmac

Post by bigmac »

From my reading over the years there are two thinks which affect the rut. Frist and foremost is the lunar cycle and the second id the amount of daylight. With the decrease in daylight the deer biologically begin to have hormonal changes occur, which starts the rutting cycle. The first rutting cycle begins on or about the hunting moon and a second less intense cycle occurs 28 days later. The Deer and Deer Hunting Magazine pubishes a Calander each year which illistrates thids very well. J.J.K. has given a very good break down in the progress of the cycle.