Crossbow Fishing...?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

Crossbow Fishing...?

Post by XB I GO »

Is there any contraption available to use a crossbow for fishing? I don't see any on internet search. Thanks
paulaboutform

Re: Crossbow Fishing...?

Post by paulaboutform »

Yes there is. Check out Muzzy Archery and AMS Bowfishing.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Yes there is . But the bad news is the Excalibur crossbows that are made now are way to much power . There is one crossbow that was made for bowfishing and that is or was the Parker Stingray it was designed so you could either add more draw wt. or reduce it it went as low as 100 lbs and as high if I remember 125 or so.
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

Tenpoint GT Flex was made for bowfishing. 180lb, 125lb or 90lb. You could buy it as a bowfishing rig or as a hunting rig in 2011 I believe it came out.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

The ten point is not listed anymore same with the Parker Stingray I think you can still find the stingrays as they were dropped this year . Just did some looking around seems Parker Stingray gone and hard to find. If I really wanted to bowfish I would buy a vert fishing bow a add a drawlok to it as I can't pull a bow back .
Last edited by hunter with MS on Thu May 03, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

PM forum member “wheelie”. He is a bowfishin’ dude. And a really nice guy. I bet he can steer you in the right direction.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I thought I saw a Excalibur Apex set up for bow fishing along time ago, maybe it was Wheele.
Your 380 would be way over kill you would have a bolt buried in the bottom most of the time I beleave.
I think you would be better off with a traditional vertical recurve with a stabilizer hole in the front of that you could attach a spool reel or a push button closed face reel.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/FIN-FINDER-RAIDER-BOWFISHING-PACKAGE/2111937.uts?productVariantId=4377771&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04303912&rid=20&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvfrmx9fq2gIVSgOGCh1-3Q1fEAQYAiABEgJsXvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42596&p=401025&hilit=Apex+bow+fishing#p401025
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Cambodia home made rig.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xlwSVWnruA
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Tangle Eye

Post by Tangle Eye »

I was thinking maybe a Barnett recurve but even they are 150 pounds. That might still be a possibility I guess.
———————————————————————————————————
Excalibur Assassin w/ Boo Force 10 string

If you always do what you always did, you’ll always get what you always got.
Tangle Eye

Post by Tangle Eye »

I was thinking maybe a Barnett recurve but even they are 150 pounds. That might still be a possibility I guess.
———————————————————————————————————
Excalibur Assassin w/ Boo Force 10 string

If you always do what you always did, you’ll always get what you always got.
Tennessee Rebel

Post by Tennessee Rebel »

If you can find a used low poundage Onieda bow they are good fish bows. I've been using one for years for carp and gar.
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

You would have to build one of your bows up as a bowfishing rig by doing two things, the first is to shorten the power stroke on the bow so that your arrow is launching at 145 fps or less. The 145 fps is the recommended maximum speed from AMS for their safety slides.
https://www.amsbowfishing.com/instruction-manual/
I would recommend looking through all the instruction manuals and setup videos from AMS.I have some other posts on how to shorten the power stroke and would modify the stroke length this way. The next step would be to setup your fishing arrow with the point, safety slide and I would probably use a regular knock to maintain the orientation for the fish arrows slide stop, there are no fletchings to worry about, but the slide stop still needs to be oriented the same. Do not just tie the line to the back of the arrow! You do not want to have an arrow snap back, so be sure to install a safety slide. You will also need a reel and retrieving line. The Zebco style fishing reels do work, although you must remember to release the drag before each shot, or you can go with the more expensive purpose built reels. The reel will also need to be mounted to the bow, there are some options for mounting to a picatinny rail or come up with your own.
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Just got an archery supply catalog and in it was a PSE youth insight crossbow it is only 60 pound draw wt. for $149.99 it is recurve I may try and find one to look at .
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Look for a Vixen 150lb. Buy a crossbow handle and a bottle reel and you are off and running. Handle bolts right in quiver holes. Only time you may blow through a fish is very close shot with fish on very top of water. I had a rail machined down at my local welding shop and it cost me $40. if you find it is to much weight. Crossbows no longer legal in Canada for bowfishing so I stopped testing with a crossbow. My GT Flex was sold as a bowfishing package. It has 3 different weights and they were sold very cheap. Adjustable 180/ 125 and 90 pounds. I played around with cheap cheap crossbows and they are not consistent good shooting bows. Get old very quickly if the bow shoots erratically and becomes no fun. If any weapon does not shoot better than me, it just loses its fun very quickly. Good luck to you in your search. bowfishing is not a cheap sport so don't cheap out on the main piece of equipment you need. You can cheap out on other things as arrows out of driveway markers ect. Bowfishing is tons of fun as it is my favorite sport with a bow. CHEERS!