Arrow testing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Arrow testing

Post by SEW »

Ive been casually testing arrow configurations for years. Over the past 2-3 years, my emphasis has centered on two things: long range accuracy and flat trajectories.

Some basic principles to me. Once enough FOC is obtained for maximum accuracy, any more just hurts trajectory. For railed xbows, I believe the stiffest shaft is ideal. There are well respected people who disagree with this stiffest belief.

For the best trajectory, have the least FOC that is optimally accurate, the lowest drag vane and orientation.

Testing is with benchrest conditions and 2 Xbows: a M380 with a Weaver T-36, and virtually every option (Simms stabilizers, TT 1.5#, Air Brakes, Dr Stirrup everything 175g Flemish string, Optimizer; and a similarly equipped BD400. All testing is done from 80-100 yards. I’ve found 20” arrows allow lower FOCs and have better BCs (compared to 18” arrows commonly shot in Excaliburs).
My BD is more accurate than my 2 M405s or M380. Even with switching limbs, etc out.

This is just where things are now. 3 Top arrows. All 20”. All about tied. All spine indexed and squared.

Jerry’s STs, offset SK300, plastic flat nock, Jerry’s long 92g insert, 100g match field point, and 100g Gtrick.
2219, offset SK300 , plastic flat nock, 50g Ethic archery insert, 150g field point and 150g Xbow Trick.
Zombie, Aerovane 2 (straight), 80g insert, 125g match field point. No BH test , yet.

There will all keep close to 1” 3-shot groups @ 80 yards. A single arrow shot 3 times will be slightly below 1”.

The Aerovane arrows were made by Boo. The other 2 by me. Jerry and Boo both create near perfection, I don’t quite equal theirs.

Jerry is constructing 6 of the 1st mentioned arrows for me but spine matched and wt matched. The odds are high that this is what I’ll deer hunt with. Plan , or expect, to order more after testing. The 2219s will likely be my bear arrows.

When testing is complete, likely June of July, I’ll post pictures and results.
Last edited by SEW on Mon May 21, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gerald strine

Re: Arrow testing

Post by gerald strine »

Interesting report as always thanks for sharing your findings.
Nice to see your testing shows that the 2219 aluminum shafts are holding their own against the carbon as I have had my preference for aluminum questioned as inferior bolts before.
When they make a Autumn orange carbon arrow I my be interested in carbon again :wink:
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

thanks sew I'm shooting 2219 Easton 20" weight is 460gr with the bd400. pretty nice arrow at this point. :thumbup:
Tangle Eye

Post by Tangle Eye »

Thanks for the report. Interesting stuff.
———————————————————————————————————
Excalibur Assassin w/ Boo Force 10 string

If you always do what you always did, you’ll always get what you always got.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Thanks Steve. Once again your field reports are fantastic and I'm sure I can safely speak for everyone when I say how much we enjoy reading them. Nicely done. :thumbup:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.