The End of an Era and Beginning of an Error?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

colouredchameleon
Posts: 756
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:44 pm

Re: The End of an Era and Beginning of an Error?

Post by colouredchameleon » Sun May 27, 2018 9:48 pm

amythntr wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:43 pm


cc
. but I want to be able to make the changes myself.... as of right now that does not seem to be the case .... which is a departure from ALL of the Excaliburs which preceded it!

Anthony :eusa-naughty:
[/quote]

Agreed
Puzzled as to why it cannot be made in such a way that it can be easy to self service.
Can not believe changing the rope could be so complicated or unsafe that it requires special technical trained expertise.

CC

User avatar
Czy_Horse
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: SW Ontario

Serial Number Rant!

Post by Czy_Horse » Mon May 28, 2018 8:02 am

Lets have a show of hands for those that enjoy the Perp walk to the till at Canadian Tire when you want to buy a box of 22 shells or a Swiss Army Knife.

Excalibur has rolled belly up and is giving the Government away to "Register" our bows, away for the Government to record who bought it. The Government will have us producing a PAL to record who buys a bow, arrows and/or broadheads. We would be now except Bill had the forethought NOT to put serial numbers on his crossbows. The old FAC for crossbows only lasted a year before the Government gave up. Reason, because of all the Excalibur crossbows out there at the time without serial numbers and no legal requirement in the Act requiring manufactures to have a serial number.

I can't see buying a bow with a serial number any time soon. Sorta leaves a bad taste in yr mouth after 30+ years of Excalibur ownership.


Czy_Horse

User avatar
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin
Posts: 667
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: The End of an Era and Beginning of an Error?

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude » Mon May 28, 2018 9:46 am

Just noticed this thread on serial numbers. It's true the reason we were the only crossbow company without serial numbers was because back in the day when crossbows were just getting popular local governments threatened to require anything with a serial number to be registered. This is no longer the case.

The reason we have implemented serial numbers is it gives us complete traceability and in the case of a known issue with a batch of serial numbers we can contact the owners to look after problems before there is an issue. It does help us keep track of who purchased the product and its history. It also greatly helps us with internal quality control. We have had many owners who have had their crossbows stolen or lost and now with serial numbers they will have a better chance of recovery.

I see lots of "the sky is falling" posts about this is the end of Excalibur's awesome warranty and frankly that's BS. :eusa-deadhorse:
For some reason there are a bunch out there that love to go after our warranty. I can personally guarantee you this does not change our warranty one iota, it actually helps us to improve our quality and service.

We will always do our best to look after any product issues quickly and fairly as we have for the last 35 years, why would anybody think we would want to offer worse service??

Regarding the Assassin crank rope replacement, its actually not that hard to do but for the first while we want to see what happening to the ropes so we can be aware of any rope issues and want to replace the ropes at the factory. So far problems have been few and the Assassin is doing extraordinarily well. We warrant the ropes for 750 shots which is a lot of shooting, we have tested them past this but 750 is a safe number. Its very evident to when the Assassin crank rope needs to be replaced, if there is any torn strands or excessive wear the rope will need to be changed, when in doubt contact us with a photo of the rope and we can confirm with you.

We do offer a great program for Assassin rope replacement, for $49.99 we will replace the rope, replace the string, do a full inspection of the crossbow and ship it back to you. We know that the Assassin crank rope will need to be changed at some point so wanted to make the service affordable as possible. Remember, the average crossbow shooter will maybe shoot their crossbow 30-40 shots a year. For argument's sake lets say 50 shots a year for easy math, that's 15 years before the Assassin will need its rope changed.

I know, most of you guys here shoot that much a day but that's not typical! :D

Again, if anybody has any questions or issues please feel free to contact me directly anytime.

Peter

OhioXBowhunter
Posts: 133
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:33 pm

Re: The End of an Era and Beginning of an Error?

Post by OhioXBowhunter » Mon May 28, 2018 10:01 am

Peter is that an up front cost on the rope replacement or do you send the 49.99 in when you have the rope replaced. I like to do as much research on a product before I buy and this is a big investment. I am not hearing much on this bow do you have any further testing information. Any issues? etc.
Thanks
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs

User avatar
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin
Posts: 667
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: The End of an Era and Beginning of an Error?

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude » Mon May 28, 2018 10:48 am

P
eter is that an up front cost on the rope replacement or do you send the 49.99 in when you have the rope replaced. I like to do as much research on a product before I buy and this is a big investment. I am not hearing much on this bow do you have any further testing information. Any issues? etc.
Thanks
You only need to spend the $49.99 when your rope needs to be replaced after 750 shots, its not an upfront cost. The Assassin has been tested more than any crossbow model we have every produced and so far proving to be very reliable. The crossbow itself has a lifetime warranty.

I hope this helps.

Peter

User avatar
Carnivorous
Posts: 3008
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:56 pm
Location: Belleriver Ontario

Re: The End of an Era and Beginning of an Error?

Post by Carnivorous » Mon May 28, 2018 11:15 am

Im in the Automotive business and lot traceability is critical especially Safety components.

I'm actually surprised it took this long for the serial numbers to be on the bows.

I would not hesitate to own a serial numbered bow. At the end of the day nothing changes..
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.

User avatar
amythntr
Posts: 6358
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:26 pm
Location: T.P.R.N.J.

Re: The End of an Era and Beginning of an Error?

Post by amythntr » Mon May 28, 2018 12:00 pm

.....Peter....thank you for clarifying certain things.....so what happens if someone does NOT register their crossbow which has a serial number on it....is one precluded to being warranted?....Does the warranty pass to the second owner?

.....I understand that "INITIALLY" you want to see how the rope holds up in actual usage...Does this mean that the rope will eventually be sold separately and there will be some sought of video of explanation as to how to change the rope for those DIY'ers?

.....I definitely do not agree with the 50 shots a year that you state....I shot more than that amount with my back breaking 335 at the range. I can easily see me putting on 250-500 before the beginning of the season now with the crank.

.....I'm sorry if you or some might feel that I am sounding like the sky is falling which is the further from the truth.....I like many have been responsible for quite a few Excalibur sales just by word of mouth....I consider the Assassin to be an engineering marvel....

.....I voiced my concerns and as long as we are moving toward a DIY approach as with all of the Excaliburs I again will be very happy!

Anthony :D
When you are in a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A420TD (Assassinatore di Cervi)
A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
NMare 335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Boo,NChunterkw,Vixenm

mr meat
Posts: 4664
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:40 pm
Location: The land of ice and snow North Bay

Re: The End of an Era and Beginning of an Error?

Post by mr meat » Mon May 28, 2018 12:16 pm

Thanks for the explanation Peter
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen

User avatar
Boo
Posts: 12452
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: Newtonville, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: The End of an Era and Beginning of an Error?

Post by Boo » Mon May 28, 2018 12:39 pm

amythntr wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:00 pm
.....Peter....thank you for clarifying certain things.....so what happens if someone does NOT register their crossbow which has a serial number on it....is one precluded to being warranted?....Does the warranty pass to the second owner?

.....I understand that "INITIALLY" you want to see how the rope holds up in actual usage...Does this mean that the rope will eventually be sold separately and there will be some sought of video of explanation as to how to change the rope for those DIY'ers?

.....I definitely do not agree with the 50 shots a year that you state....I shot more than that amount with my back breaking 335 at the range. I can easily see me putting on 250-500 before the beginning of the season now with the crank.

.....I'm sorry if you or some might feel that I am sounding like the sky is falling which is the further from the truth.....I like many have been responsible for quite a few Excalibur sales just by word of mouth....I consider the Assassin to be an engineering marvel....

.....I voiced my concerns and as long as we are moving toward a DIY approach as with all of the Excaliburs I again will be very happy!

Anthony :D
I disagree with the 50 shots as well. In my experience, it's often 10 to 20 shots a year for the majority of crossbow owners. After all, it is a major atraction to crossbows that you dont have to constantly practice unlike vert bows
The vast majority of crossbow owners have crossbows simply as a tool. In the little world called a crossbow forum, most of us have crossbows as a tool and a play toy. But we are the minority.
It is better to be thought a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt

If you think there's a great conspiracy, there isn't other than the one running in circles in your head

User avatar
amythntr
Posts: 6358
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:26 pm
Location: T.P.R.N.J.

Re: The End of an Era and Beginning of an Error?

Post by amythntr » Mon May 28, 2018 3:05 pm

Boo wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:39 pm
amythntr wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:00 pm
.....Peter....thank you for clarifying certain things.....so what happens if someone does NOT register their crossbow which has a serial number on it....is one precluded to being warranted?....Does the warranty pass to the second owner?

.....I understand that "INITIALLY" you want to see how the rope holds up in actual usage...Does this mean that the rope will eventually be sold separately and there will be some sought of video of explanation as to how to change the rope for those DIY'ers?

.....I definitely do not agree with the 50 shots a year that you state....I shot more than that amount with my back breaking 335 at the range. I can easily see me putting on 250-500 before the beginning of the season now with the crank.

.....I'm sorry if you or some might feel that I am sounding like the sky is falling which is the further from the truth.....I like many have been responsible for quite a few Excalibur sales just by word of mouth....I consider the Assassin to be an engineering marvel....

.....I voiced my concerns and as long as we are moving toward a DIY approach as with all of the Excaliburs I again will be very happy!

Anthony :D
I disagree with the 50 shots as well. In my experience, it's often 10 to 20 shots a year for the majority of crossbow owners. After all, it is a major atraction to crossbows that you dont have to constantly practice unlike vert bows
The vast majority of crossbow owners have crossbows simply as a tool. In the little world called a crossbow forum, most of us have crossbows as a tool and a play toy. But we are the minority.
.... I guess I won’t be able to shoot my Assassin at Boofest during the 100 yd shoot out of fear that I might exceed the 10-50 shots per year... dang I won’t be able to practice either before I go ... :eusa-naughty: heck, why practice Colton is going to win anyway! :lol:

Anthony :mrgreen:
When you are in a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A420TD (Assassinatore di Cervi)
A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
NMare 335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Boo,NChunterkw,Vixenm

User avatar
RobD
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:14 pm
Location: Mt. Pleasant, MI

Re: The End of an Era and Beginning of an Error?

Post by RobD » Mon May 28, 2018 3:22 pm

Now now Anthony, just make every shot count. And then count every shot. And you can always stop by the house and borrow one of my M380s!
Micro 360 TD Pro
Micro 360 TD
Micro Axe 340 RAID

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man! | XV530IR

colouredchameleon
Posts: 756
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:44 pm

Re: The End of an Era and Beginning of an Error?

Post by colouredchameleon » Mon May 28, 2018 4:20 pm

Double Post :oops:
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Mon May 28, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colouredchameleon
Posts: 756
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:44 pm

Re: The End of an Era and Beginning of an Error?

Post by colouredchameleon » Mon May 28, 2018 4:21 pm

Excalibur Marketing Dude wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 9:46 am
Just noticed this thread on serial numbers. It's true the reason we were the only crossbow company without serial numbers was because back in the day when crossbows were just getting popular local governments threatened to require anything with a serial number to be registered. This is no longer the case.

The reason we have implemented serial numbers is it gives us complete traceability and in the case of a known issue with a batch of serial numbers we can contact the owners to look after problems before there is an issue. It does help us keep track of who purchased the product and its history. It also greatly helps us with internal quality control. We have had many owners who have had their crossbows stolen or lost and now with serial numbers they will have a better chance of recovery.

I see lots of "the sky is falling" posts about this is the end of Excalibur's awesome warranty and frankly that's BS. :eusa-deadhorse:
For some reason there are a bunch out there that love to go after our warranty. I can personally guarantee you this does not change our warranty one iota, it actually helps us to improve our quality and service.

We will always do our best to look after any product issues quickly and fairly as we have for the last 35 years, why would anybody think we would want to offer worse service??

Regarding the Assassin crank rope replacement, its actually not that hard to do but for the first while we want to see what happening to the ropes so we can be aware of any rope issues and want to replace the ropes at the factory. So far problems have been few and the Assassin is doing extraordinarily well. We warrant the ropes for 750 shots which is a lot of shooting, we have tested them past this but 750 is a safe number. Its very evident to when the Assassin crank rope needs to be replaced, if there is any torn strands or excessive wear the rope will need to be changed, when in doubt contact us with a photo of the rope and we can confirm with you.

We do offer a great program for Assassin rope replacement, for $49.99 we will replace the rope, replace the string, do a full inspection of the crossbow and ship it back to you. We know that the Assassin crank rope will need to be changed at some point so wanted to make the service affordable as possible. Remember, the average crossbow shooter will maybe shoot their crossbow 30-40 shots a year. For argument's sake lets say 50 shots a year for easy math, that's 15 years before the Assassin will need its rope changed.

I know, most of you guys here shoot that much a day but that's not typical! :D

Again, if anybody has any questions or issues please feel free to contact me directly anytime.

Peter
Thanks for the clarification on a few points.

A New replacement string and crank rope sounds like a good deal.

Your take on the number of shots the majority take at most each year is not far off for sure.

However I suspect the Assassin my be the exception to the norm going forward.
I know in my case the limiting factor as to the number of shoots I take is directly rated to what my back can withstand.
Which seems to get lower and lower as I get older.
Then last year I broke down and bought a C2 crank to compensate.
Looking back I now realize I should have done it a lot sooner.

Now damn you Excalibur an now comes along the Assassin with a built in Cranking System in a nice compact design .

That said however the decision to pull the trigger so to speak is not an easy one either based on the price .
Luckily there is lots of time before hunting season is upon me to weight the pros and cons before making a final decision either way. Which I have to say is not going be an easy one now that I have seen and handled an Assassin in person.
:thumbup:

Arrowflinger
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:51 pm
Location: China Spring, Tx

Re: The End of an Era and Beginning of an Error?

Post by Arrowflinger » Mon May 28, 2018 9:33 pm




For some reason there are a bunch out there that love to go after our warranty.


I'm unclear on this statement. What does this mean? Thanks in advance :eusa-think:
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR

Arrowflinger
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:51 pm
Location: China Spring, Tx

Re: The End of an Era and Beginning of an Error?

Post by Arrowflinger » Mon May 28, 2018 9:34 pm

Arrowflinger wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 9:33 pm



For some reason there are a bunch out there that love to go after our warranty.


I'm unclear on this statement. What does this mean? Thanks in advance :eusa-think:
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR

Post Reply