The End of an Era and Beginning of an Error?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

The End of an Era and Beginning of an Error?

Post by amythntr »

.....well I finally am getting around to register my Assassin....I think I only registered my first Excalibur....my 380 which was recently sold.... :cry:

.....at first I wasn't going to bother, but I came across where it says where the "serial number" will be on the CB "if it has one."......well there it was low and behold :eusa-doh: on the bottom of the rail all the way up by the riser....

.....so now I feel obligated to follow through out of fear that not doing it will cause me not to to have the "iron clad" warranty that Excalibur became famous for :eusa-think:....

.....I am doing so IN PROTEST :eusa-snooty: and because with the more complicated crank and string system I fear not doing so will potentially preclude me from having my CB serviced in the future :eusa-hand: ....

.....and yes, I am going to purchase the add- on "simply trusted program" for I believe another $50.... :shock: :eusa-snooty: (See PS below)

.....Well there you have it everyone. I was always under the impression that we had been part of the "simply trusted program" by just owning an Excalibur cross bow.....but now I feel that potentially we have:

The End of an Era and Beginning of a NEW Error ......just my two cents take on it!

Anthony :thumbdown:

PS: Contacted Dawn at Excalibur....she advised me that the purchase of the "simply trusted program" is at the time you send in the CB for string changing....which to me means you get charged the $50 when you need it done....why not say that? :eusa-think: ...then your string is warrantied for 5 yrs....however what is confusing is she said the string is good for 750 shots....doesn't seem like a lot! I think I am more confused.... :eusa-doh:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
gerald strine

Re: The End of an Era and Beginning of an Error?

Post by gerald strine »

I hope the bow comes with a built in shot counter.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

amythntr wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 1:49 pm

PS: Contacted Dawn at Excalibur....she advised me that the purchase of the "simply trusted program" is at the time you send in the CB for string changing....which to me means you get charged the $50 when you need it done....why not say that? :eusa-think: ...then your string is warrantied for 5 yrs...

.however what is confusing is she said the string is good for 750 shots....doesn't seem like a lot! I think I am more confused.... :eusa-doh:

Ouch thanks for the info good to know and concerning as well . 750 Shoots????
Rethink for sure.

Clearly not a recreational shooters bow if that is the case.
$50 plus shipping to have crank string replaced could add up. Hopefully someone fiqures out how it can be changed (DIY)
Plus raises for me the question is the $50 dollars a one time payment for a 5 year duration or single time use.

Starting to bring back bad memories of the olden days before I discovered the benefits of owning a Excalibur when I owned a wheeled crossbow. Every time I needed a string change had to take it to a shop to get it done. ( String $$ plus labor $$ with down time :thumbdown: )

Serial Numbers on Bows are long over due. :thumbup: Traceability for recalls and security .

:?: Is the warranty still transferable to whomever owns the bow???

:idea:
Starting to think that :idea: it may be best to consider reading the fine print / whole manual cover to cover prior to purchase.

My old C2 Crank may be noisy but at least it is serviceable (DIY) which is more in line with the number one advantage of owning an Excalibur Crossbow.

CC
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Sat May 26, 2018 6:20 am, edited 8 times in total.
RobD

Post by RobD »

amythntr wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 1:49 pm
.....well I finally am getting around to register my Assassin....I think I only registered my first Excalibur....my 380 which was recently sold.... :cry:

Anthony :thumbdown:
Do I need to put Jelly Belly under lock and key? :problem:
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!
Boo

Post by Boo »

The 750 is meant to be conservative.
I have never registered my bows, even the non-excalibur. I always figured companies ask for registration for marketing reasons. Keep your bill of sale, it's always more important than the registration. The only time a registration is important is in a rare case of a recall. Excalibur has only ever had one, but just like everyone that walks the earth, they aren't perfect.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Boo wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 5:34 pm
I have never registered my bows, even the non-excalibur. I always figured companies ask for registration for marketing reasons. Keep your bill of sale, it's always more important than the registration. The only time a registration is important is in a rare case of a recall. Excalibur has only ever had one, but just like everyone that walks the earth, they aren't perfect.
.....ok.... so my next question would be how does one know when their string is coming to the end of its useful life?....

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
janesy

Post by janesy »

:eusa-deadhorse: seriously.

I buy used bows for the last couple, and custom for the others. And when I want parts, I tell them in advance that I am NOT entitled to a warranty, and I pay outright.

I understand clearly the cost of offering a warranty as such, and I thoroughly respect the process. If any company chooses to offer the warranty, than they should have the ability to qualify the recipients of said warranty. Without these controls in place the cost will always continue to rise for the end user.

You learn quickly which customers you can satisfy, and which ones you can't. They typically outright tell you.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I'm my own bow repairman and have enough spare parts on hand to fix any Gomer Pile move that I might do.. Lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Boo

Post by Boo »

amythntr wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 7:34 pm
Boo wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 5:34 pm
.....ok.... so my next question would be how does one know when their string is coming to the end of its useful life?....

Sorry Anthony, I don't have an answer for that one. I can only tell you that from my experience with synthetic ropes is that they can look bad in a hurry. I've used them in my C2s and my 3,500 lb winch pulling 3.5' diameter maple logs out of the woods and while the rope looks crazy worn, it hasn't broken. I had a really fuzzy synthetic rope pulling on a chain that was attached to a log and had a link break. While my experience isnt vast, I'm just starting to understand synthetic ropes.
The use of synthetic ropes for this application is relatively new in the crossbow world which is why the lack of abundant and solid numbers.
I am going to guess that the number given by Excalibur is an conservative one that gives 100% reliability but is borne out of lack of experience.
Just consider how difficult it would be to give you a 100% accurate number. They'd probably have to test 1,000 ropes under each different condition. So what you are getting is the worst possible scenario to cover everyone,
Including themselves.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I'm not a fan of the registration # thing at all. I've made modifications to bows and broken limbs in the process. I told Excalibur that these weren't warranty parts because I was tinkering. However, all the hoopla about a crank....I don't get it. The rope on the C2 isn't warranted, strings aren't warranted, and neither is the new crank rope. I don't think this is unreasonable. Perhaps I'm missing something in my perspective but I'm open to ideas.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

I believe that warranty that requires a serial number must be registered within 90 days of the sale or the serial number gets blacklisted. That’s usually how it works.
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

bow tech :eusa-think:
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

paulaboutform wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 7:34 pm
I'm not a fan of the registration # thing at all. I've made modifications to bows and broken limbs in the process. I told Excalibur that these weren't warranty parts because I was tinkering. However, all the hoopla about a crank....I don't get it. The rope on the C2 isn't warranted, strings aren't warranted, and neither is the new crank rope. I don't think this is unreasonable. Perhaps I'm missing something in my perspective but I'm open to ideas.

Paul
.... just so it’s clear... I totally understand that the rope is not warranted.... I have absolutely no problem with paying for a new rope.... my problems relate to registering the bow for repairs (will not registering preclude warranted repairs)?.... the comparison between the C2 rope and the crank rope is not a proper comparison...C2 is DIY, crank is not.... so then I find out that the rope on the crank is rated for 750 shots....let’s say that’s conservative and you get 1500... because of the crank your out practicing every week and putting in 100 shots... at what point do you feel it should be changed for $50?....a month before the season?????

..... and the last part is, it is warranted for 5 years... does this make sense???

....I guess part of my concern is, is this or will this become a DIY item where we can do it ourselves as has been the case for ALL of the Excaliburs that came before or is the Assassin the beginning of the error where we have to return the bow at a cost of 80-90$ when the smoke clears... to have a major component changed....

Anthony :eusa-think:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

paulaboutform wrote:

Paul
First the C2 crank rope replacement is DIY not the at least the $100.00 the new built in crank well required to be spent to change or repair.
One of the selling features a Excalibur to date has been the DIY when it comes to string changes along with the DIY to maintain. Versus the wheeled bow string changes requiring special equipment at extra an cost each and every time a string wears out including time out from use.

That said
Some are considering a purchase because of the benefit of the built in crank as the primary selling feature feature.
The main reason is its ease of use versus the benefit of reduction of stress too their backs either due to injury or age related issues.
Therefore are weighing the pros and cons of the new built in crank system at a cost $1800.00 plus the cost to maintain its future use versus what they may already own or need to purchase in order to continue with the sport.

cc
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Sun May 27, 2018 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

colouredchameleon wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:33 pm
paulaboutform wrote:

Paul
Some are considering a purchase because of the benefit of the built in crank as the primary selling feature feature.
The main reason is its ease of use versus the benefit of reduction of stress too their backs either due to injury or age related issues.
Therefore are weighing the pros and cons of the new built in crank system at a cost $1800.00 plus the cost to maintain its future use versus what they may already own or need to purchase in order to continue with the sport.

cc
.....the reasons why I purchased the Assassin was the adjusible stock (very important).... finally a bow feels absolutely comfortable in my arms.,,,secondly was the crank.... both I believe are brilliant engineering additions....the cost was not the issue as I don’t need or want a harem of bows so one left as did a C 2 crank.... which made the purchase reasonable...

..... I also have no problem with the operating cost being somewhat higher.... but I want to be able to make the changes myself.... as of right now that does not seem to be the case .... which is a departure from ALL of the Excaliburs which preceded it!

Anthony :eusa-naughty:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings