Stalking deer Part II---long but funny

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TAC

Stalking deer Part II---long but funny

Post by TAC »

This is a continuation of my post regarding my stalking of two deer this morning.

My office is right at the front of my house and overlooks my driveway. I've got three large windows that give a complete view in that direction.

At 5:00 p.m. I walked into my office and my jaw literally dropped. 20 yds outside my window is a 6pt buck. It's on the edge of my driveway eating some grass. I swear that it could see me in the window.

Of course my first thought is, "I've gotta get my crossbow!"

But the problem is that my crossbow is _in my truck_ and it's halfway between me and the buck!

I step out the front door and almost get to the truck. The buck notices me and we stare at each other. It's quartering me and I'm doing my best to will it to death but it's just not dropping. Apparently I don't have Darth Vader's powers.

My heart is pounding like mad and my right leg is trembling. One more small movement and the buck springs into the woods.

I get my x-bow out and load up. I then see the larger buck from this morning. It's the same pair! My wife came home a minute later and I made it very clear she was to go inside immediately without talking!

Twice I tried, but I just could not get close to them in the woods. The leaves would give me away. Eventually I decided it was best to just sit in my driveway and hope they'd come back that way. Train tracks cut through my property and they were near them. I've found that the deer don't seem to cross them (maybe it's because the tracks are raised about 20ft). I knew a train was coming so I thought perhaps it might push them towards me.

No such luck though. At 6:45 p.m. I unloaded the x-bow.

I'm gonna get one of these bucks. That's if my heart doesn't explode first!