Not a crossbow hunt but a muzzleloader hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

Not a crossbow hunt but a muzzleloader hunt

Post by XB I GO »

We just returned from the new Y.O. Shreiner Ranch in Texas. There is a long, rich history regarding the Y.O. Ranch and the Schreiner family. Without too much lecture, the Schreiner University, Schreiner Hospital and Schreiner National Bank were founded by the ranch owners ancestors. The original Y.O. Ranch was a huge spread but was recently divided into several smaller tracts, each owned by an heir. This ranch is 5000 acres that has never been hunted. The animals are present due to the fence isolating them. No management has been done in the past 7 or 8 years. I was invited to help knock down some bigger female animals to reduce numbers so the bucks can get more protein this summer. The cabin is brand new - the appliances were being installed while we were there.
About the hunting.....we used a caplock and flintlock (first time for each).
The owners, Luke and Bobby, are very interesting in offering alternative type of hunts for crossbows, archery and muzzleloader hunters including traditional archery and black powder arms. My Dad was working with them to help teach them how to cater to these kind of hunters.
After several hours of slow walking through heavy brush I spotted a Sika deer female coming out from behind some cedars. That one was shot with an old caplock 50 caliber rifle.

The next day we headed out with a 54 caliber Flintlock. We found a Red Deer Hind standing about 25 yards away in thick brush. It was shot in the chest and the ball went full lengthwise, exiting next to the butt-hole!

My Dad also shot a cow elk with the 54 caliber flintlock at about 80 yards!

We are going to go back later in the summer to use crossbows. We saw a lot of hogs, 4 different kinds of deer and some varmints. If you want to check out the ranch go to yoshreiner.com

They are hoping to attract crossbow hunters like us!
Goose52

Re: Not a crossbow hunt but a muzzleloader hunt

Post by Goose52 »

very cool! congrats!
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Nice story about the ranch history. Congrats on your hunt.
Many years ago I hunted with a 50 cal. Flintlock it's was a lot of fun!
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Texas is on my list of places to hunt someday... :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
janesy

Post by janesy »

So how does that work ? If you own thousands of acres and it is fenced, keeping all the animals in.
Do you own them? How can the "ministry" or whom ever is in charge actively control or even monitor population of they are fenced in your backyard?

This isn't directed specifically to XB, I'm genuinely curious, anyone can answer please. Its pretty much the polar opposite to animal habitat here in cold country Canada. I dont want this to come across as ignorant, I'm legitimately in the dark on how this works.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I could ask my Dad, but as far as I know in Texas the "native" animals are Whitetail Deer, Mule Deer, Antelope, Big Horn Sheep, Squirrels and Javelina. They are controlled by the State as far as seasons and regulations. Nearly any other animal is considered "non-native", "non-game" or "exotic". Exotic specifically means the species was introduced to Texas from elsewhere. Exotics are treated just like livestock. You own them if they are on your land. You can essentially do what you want with them. Hunt at night, year round, whatever caliber, etc. If they are "free range" but on your property you can still do all that. Deer and the other stuff even when fenced in are under the State laws. Hogs are "non-game" and so are rabbits. So you can hunt those any way you want to, even with a helicopter! I hope this 411 helps!
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

I hunt with a .54 TC Hawken and have few other .54 and .50 TC’s. I really lke them.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congrats on your harvest !
You keep the freezer well stocked with protein that is for sure :thumbup:
Hunt eat sleep repeat.