Thinking of trying out new vanes.....suggestions?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

Thinking of trying out new vanes.....suggestions?

Post by amythntr »

.....As I hope to find some time within the next few weeks to get out to the range for a day of shooting my new Assassin and my newly crank charger fitted 335, I am contemplating trying some new fletching.....

.....Other than the tried and true Blazers (which I have 2 lifetimes worth) I am thinking of maybe trying something new.....and i am open to suggestions as to what some of you have tried and stuck with over the past couple of seasons! ( Only looking at 2" variety since that is what my AZ Arizona Fletcher can fletch)....

.....I look forward to hearing some suggestions....

Anthony :D
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Quintehunter

Re: Thinking of trying out new vanes.....suggestions?

Post by Quintehunter »

Do a search on here and you will find lots of information on FlexFletch SK200's and 300's.
I got away from Blazers and these are the only vanes I'll use for my Executioner's... :thumbup:
venison

Post by venison »

I've tried the SK 300 vanes gave them a shot thought they would be worth a try ..And also tried the bohing 3inch x shield vanes .. What flew the best for me out at distance was 3x vanes I shot for a hole month to see what vane shot best and for me they shot the best all 8 dozen shafts are going have3 inch X Vanes They stable the arrow better for me I'm shooting 110 gr insert 100 gr broadhead try them out zombies blackexcutioners they fly sweet just my 2 cents s
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Here's some food for thought Anthony. I've got the Bitzenburger, Jo-Jan, Bolt, and the Firenock Aerovane Jig.
I've tried probably every vane type made. I've used Flex Fletch for many years and love the SK200 vanes....haven't tried the 300's. I believe they're tougher and more durable than Blazers. The Aerovane II vanes look similar but are an extremely different animal. I can say they're extremely brittle and if you go through a target or animal, they're done. Both the Flex Fletch and Aerovanes are much more expensive than Blazers. Here's the thing, I've been able to get sub 2" groups with my M380 at 100 yards using Blazers. If vanes that cost twice as much gave me 1" groups at 100 yards (and I doubt that very much....possibly 1 1/4"- 1 1/2" but doubtful), would that even be noticed.???? If you're looking for a fun project to experiment with, have fun fratello mio....and report back. If you expect something to be significantly better than your lifetime supply of Blazers, I don't think it'll fly. :eusa-naughty:

Paul
Last edited by paulaboutform on Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Anthony, if you decide to try some 3” vanes, Arizona makes other fletching tools that work just like the EZ Bolt does. ..... it’s just like Reloading, you always just need ONE more tool!
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

What I did was change the arms on my bolt jig to fletch my 3 and 5" .I think it was 14.00 for the set just switch back and forth as needed.
W.M.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

paulaboutform wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:34 pm
Here's some food for thought Anthony. I've got the Bitzenburger, Jo-Jan, Bolt, and the Firenock Aerovane Jig.
I've tried probably every vane type made. I've used Flex Fletch for many years and love the SK200 vanes....haven't tried the 300's. I believe they're tougher and more durable than Blazers. The Aerovane II vanes look similar but are an extremely different animal. I can say they're extremely brittle and if you go through a target or animal, they're done. Both the Flex Fletch and Aerovanes are much more expensive than Blazers. Here's the thing, I've been able to get sub 2" groups with my M380 at 100 yards using Blazers. If vanes that cost twice as much gave me 1" groups at 100 yards (and I doubt that very much....possibly 1 1/4"- 1 1/2" but doubtful), would that even be noticed.???? If you're looking for a fun project to experiment with, have fun fratello mio....and report back. If you expect something to be significantly better than your lifetime supply of Blazers, I don't think it'll fly. :eusa-naughty:

Paul
....Wow Paul....you got more "stuff" than me :lol: ....I can say you truly put it into perspective....unfortunately I did drop a few "looney's" on some SK200's to try....but will probably come back to and stick with the blazers!

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

The SKs are awesome vanes Anthony and if I remember correctly they were slightly more accurate than the Blazers...key word being slightly. I believe I only shot them out to 70 yards. The Flex Fletch vanes are hands down the most durable vanes I've used. Have fun fratello mio. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Boo

Post by Boo »

paulaboutform wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:34 pm

Paul
Wise words Paul. In my eyes, for everyday shooting and hunting, it's hard to beat Blazers.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Try out the True Flight feathers I sent you! :D

The initial thought is that they are not durable, but that is not necessarily true. I routinely just wash and dry feathers that have been through animals and re-use the arrow.

As for control, I see no difference between 2" feathers and Blazers. ANd I don't know it for a fact but I think the feathers probably have a bit more drag, so that might mean even better control.

And they give a nice traditional look to the arrow.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Quintehunter wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:31 pm
Do a search on here and you will find lots of information on FlexFletch SK200's and 300's.
I got away from Blazers and these are the only vanes I'll use for my Executioner's... :thumbup:
Yes Sir! SK300's for me. I'm done looking for better vanes.. ;)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
catclr

Post by catclr »

nchunterkw wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:24 pm
Try out the True Flight feathers I sent you! :D

The initial thought is that they are not durable, but that is not necessarily true. I routinely just wash and dry feathers that have been through animals and re-use the arrow.

As for control, I see no difference between 2" feathers and Blazers. ANd I don't know it for a fact but I think the feathers probably have a bit more drag, so that might mean even better control.

And they give a nice traditional look to the arrow.
I contacted True Flight last year and they sent me some samples, and like Keith say's control seems to be the same, as I can put both arrows in the same hole, feathers or blazer's.
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....ordered some SK200’s... gonna give them a try... if nothing else just to have a little fun...

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
SEW

Post by SEW »

paulaboutform wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:58 am
The SKs are awesome vanes Anthony and if I remember correctly they were slightly more accurate than the Blazers...key word being slightly. I believe I only shot them out to 70 yards. The Flex Fletch vanes are hands down the most durable vanes I've used. Have fun fratello mio. :wink:

Paul
My most accurate, personally made arrows, have been 20” spine indexed/matched Spynal Tapps, offset SK300s, 92g double tapp(loooong insert), 100g point, flat plastic nocks. These stay about 1 !/2” 6 shot groups @ 100 yds under ideal conditions. Blazers are almost as accurate. I have plenty of both vanes, so I use the 300s. I wouldn’t order 300s if I had an adequate supply of Blazers.
My BD400 will group them at 1 1/2”. My M380 and your formerly owned M405 will get about 2- 2 1/2”. The BD is just more accurate than any of my 3 Matrix xbows.
Jerry made me an arrow to test that I keep getting 1” 100 yd groups with that 1 arrow shot repeatedly. Think it is just as described above except smaller, 3” offset vanes - very low profile.
SEW

Post by SEW »

amythntr wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:01 am
....ordered some SK200’s... gonna give them a try... if nothing else just to have a little fun...

Some time back I tested so arrows Boo made that were identical except for 200s and 300s. The 300s were more accurate.