guys whats the normal kill time or distance travelled after hits?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MickB

guys whats the normal kill time or distance travelled after hits?

Post by MickB »

Hopefully not a sensitive subject, but probably a highly variable one. Just trying to get an idea of how far different game runs for you after you hit it with your preferred setup. This is for my own general interest getting an idea how crossbows kill on different species, not trying to draw any advanced comparisons between setups. Feel free to be as specific, general or dismissive as you like. :)
bdog

Re: guys whats the normal kill time or distance travelled after hits?

Post by bdog »

There is no normal... way to many variables with everything
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Yep it varies. I have had deer and bear drop in under 20yards. Others have gone close to 100. I find the double lung = short tracking job and good blood trails. Heart = longer tracking but great blood trails. No 2 harvests are ever the same.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
grouse

Post by grouse »

As was stated above, there is no predictable distance an animal will go after a hit. I have been crossbow hunting since 2012 and so far have killed 8 deer, all with heart lung area hits (my arrows have hit no guts or hind quarters). Three of the deer have dropped within sight, I found another dead as I began to look for blood and one ran 150 yards. I don't usually do autopsies, but the deer that ran 150 yards was hit through both lungs. You always have to be determined to find any deer that you hit.

All we can do is select arrows and broadheads that shoot well from our bows (easy to do), practice to gain confidence that you can make a lethal hit, and only take shots that you know you can make accurately. That, in my opinion, is a formula for success.
axiom
350 SE
MickB

Post by MickB »

Thanks for the replies folks, I worded it very poorly. Should have asked what the usual kill time or range of quickest to slowest is for your hunts. As with guns I agree there is no 'normal'.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

grouse wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:11 am
As was stated above, there is no predictable distance an animal will go after a hit. I have been crossbow hunting since 2012 and so far have killed 8 deer, all with heart lung area hits (my arrows have hit no guts or hind quarters). Three of the deer have dropped within sight, I found another dead as I began to look for blood and one ran 150 yards. I don't usually do autopsies, but the deer that ran 150 yards was hit through both lungs. You always have to be determined to find any deer that you hit.

All we can do is select arrows and broadheads that shoot well from our bows (easy to do), practice to gain confidence that you can make a lethal hit, and only take shots that you know you can make accurately. That, in my opinion, is a formula for success.
X 2 Very well put grouse :eusa-clap:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Like said i have had them drop right there, n i have had a Doe go about 300 yds into a pond wid a lung/liver hit. She was still alive when my girls found her n i shot her the 2nd time n she expired in a few seconds. I have had shots go through the guts after hittin vital organs liver/lungs/heart jus messy but it happens
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

grouse wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:11 am

Yep, some amaze me how far they travel with the placement & damage that my shot has provided. I think this explains why so many hunters keep trying new broadheads year after year. The real denominator is the deer, or whatever game you're hunting, and their will to live, how much air they have in their lungs when shot, blood in the pump room, etc. There are no steadfast results, textbook distances, anything to really group one animal with another. Yes, best shot placement by angle of sight / shot is pretty well laid out, after that, it's the animal, and God to determine the rest!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

I've killed about forty deer with my Exocet over the years, using a variety of broadheads but primarily the Rocket Hammerhead 2-inch expandables.

I'd say the average double-lung death-run is 50-70 yards. They can definitely go longer on heart shots and liver shots though, although often they won't if they can reach cover and you leave them alone.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

After the shot give the animal as much time as you can before taking up the blood trail.
Especially a hog...every hog I’ve ever bumped up tracking I never found. :(
As everyone has already stated to many variables for a definitive answer. I’ve had bucks drop in sight and tracked one doe about 400yds with a good lung shot.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I have had deer drop on the spot ' heart shot a bear that went 10 yards , double lunged deer that have went 150 plus yards ( This years buck hit with a 125 grain RamCat ---1.5 inch cut ) .

The craziest 1 to date was a 200 pound buck that I shot during our muzzle loader season . I shot the buck 1/4 ing to wards me at 110 yards ( ranged ) crosshair was just left of center of the chest . The deer went 300 yards . I am using a 300 grain Horandy xp bullet with 90 grains of loose FFg powder . When I recovered the deer the bullet was just under the skin on the rump opposite the side i shot . The bullet when thru the deer length wise , it tore up everything inside > No idea how it could have went that far with that much damage . The deer was calm before the shot and had no idea i was there !
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I think the terrain has a lot to do with it
Last edited by XB I GO on Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I think the terrain has a lot to do with it also. We hunted in the middle of suburbia and if a deer were to go east just 100 yard it would have to cross a big ditch and then be in the street. If it went west more than 100 yards it would end up in a populated park or crossing a Creek into a neighborhood. If it goes south it would have to go across the street and the street is surrounded by a fence to a campus. Traveling north The deer would cross a paved trail and a deep ditch to enter a golf course. Last year we had two deer drop on the spot and three deer go no more than 30 yards. We leave them alone and remain silent for about 20 minutes. When they are mortally wounded I don’t think they want to expose them selves so they tend to stay in our Little patch of woods. We have a funnel set up so the deer are exactly 20 yards away in our little shooting zone and the only clear trail to run if shot is NE, keeping them on our property.
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

When we we shot a deer at our friends property that is several hundred acres one ran about 20 yards and stood there for a few seconds and then ran another 20 yards and fell over. Another deer ran about 100 yards and stopped and started to stagger and then fell. They run until they can’t run anymore but the terrain is not containing them so they are actually trying to go further away.
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

Sorry, double posted
Last edited by XB I GO on Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.