Scent control freak ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Turtleman

Scent control freak ?

Post by Turtleman »

I have been a scent control freak for years. I have always used hs scentaway odorless. I see others that kill deer still wearing clothes are breakfast in and maybe stopped at the gas station in. I am starting this topic because for one HS scentaway is not hardly being carried in my local area Walmart anymore and have reached out to HS about buying the product in bulk or other places to order bulk with no response from them. So I ask myself is it still worth the aggravation to try and continue to use a product I can hardly get now at a reasonable price or have I just become part of the hype and it's all in my head that this product is worth even using anymore?? Would like others opinions on the subject and if they use scent control sprays ??
Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
bigbowman

Re: Scent control freak ?

Post by bigbowman »

Simple ..... always hunt with the wind! Good luck!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

That soap works great, prior to using it I used straight baking soda which also worked great, but was a bit of a rough wash. I think you can buy it online, and i would recommend doing that. On the flip side, i used to hunt with an old fellow that was my neighbor about 28 years ago. He would play the wind, and smoke cigars in the stand, yet year after year he would tag a nice buck. He taught me how to use scents & the wind, and it has worked well for me for many years. Most folks put the scent down wind of their position, and get busted if they see anything at all. The real trick is to have the scent blowing into your position from 30 yards away with the travel path of the deer in between the scent & you. It keeps the attention off of you, and often hangs the deer up looking away from your position to allow you to draw, or take aim.

Other soaps that work are Ivory unscented, Dove unscented, Dead Down Wind, etc. Try Cabelas On Line, or Dick's.

Good Luck!
dan
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

From where I park to where I hunt I have to climb about 200ft in elevation. Generally I'm dripping in sweat by the time I'm in a tree. I kill 4 to 8+ deer per season anyway. From my primary fixed stand location, most deer pass downwind of the typical wind direction. Solution: Hunt higher. I'm sitting at ~22 feet and deer within bow range never notice me. Deer that pass uphill downwind at 60+ yards have occasionally picked me up.

I have one ground (log) location that has been excellent over the years. For that location, I only sit there when the winds are right (N or W).

I've purchased a few of the scent control products and even owned scent blocking clothes. But I also realize they are nearly useless in my situation if I'm sweaty before I'm seated. They might help, but I'm convinced that you'll never achieve the same results as hunting high enough and playing the wind.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
SEW

Post by SEW »

Clothes scent can be reduced to virtually zero scent. Same with equipment. Descented soap/deodorant helps. So do scent destroying sprays. Boots are a different matter. Using untouched Saran Wrap or other plastic can help. Some trash bags can help - not the ones with impregnated anti bacterial chemicals (a lot of them). Leaf disposal bags are great. I have thin pieces of split logs with the bark placed down that I occasionally lash onto my boots for the last 100-200 yds in.
All this reduces maybe 25-50% of your scent,

YOU SMELL LIKE A CARNIVOR AND A HUMAN! Your body exudes odor thru your pores and even more so thru your mouth, nose and lungs. FLOSS AND HAVE A SUPERCLEAN MOUTH. PERIDONTAL ODOR IS STRONG. PEOPLE WITH IT GET OLFACTORY FATIGUE AND DONT SMELL IT. EVERY ONE ELSE DOES!! Deer do also. This is the major source of your odor. YES, it can be reduced, eat like a herbivore for at least 6 weeks prior and during the season. Take chlorophyll tablets! Do all in the first paragraph, hunt the wind. Forget the notion that “cover scents” will “cover” any human scent. Example: Fox urine cover scent will just make you smell like a human that a fox peed on. Or boots that stepped in box pee. The original scent is still there.

Hunt the wind. High tree stands. Keep stands downwind of expected movement. Expand your ethical range!!! Approach stands from downwind. Expand your ethical range!!!
Last edited by SEW on Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
SEW

Post by SEW »

Delete
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

You want to know how many deer I killed, from a ground blind, while I was still smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day? :lol:

There's my thoughts on the matter right there... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog The Smelly
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

I smoke my clothes with maple/oak leaves and pine needles in coffee can ...
Then in bag !
Camps burn wood and deer are use to that smell!
I use no store bought stuff other than scent spray on my boots!