Custom Excaliburs

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Buck

Custom Excaliburs

Post by Buck »

I’ve been shooting exals or years and on the forum for a couple years. I have recently noticed numerous topics about customizing Excaliburs. Posts about cutting down rails, measurement inquiries, swapping risers, and stocks.

Buying a new bow with the intention of altering it.

Is this because after the intro of the micro series, there were more options ?
What would the benefits be to cutting a rail down ?
Couldn’t you just get one of the new shorts?
Are the risers and limbs interchangeable?

It seems interesting and I’d like to get a sense of the reasoning.
Micro 335 / Hawke XB30 Pro- Excal Sound Deadening System....
Matrix 350 SE / Hawke XB30 Compact - Couldn't say no......
308 Shorty / Hawke XB30 Pro- Tack driver ....
Axe 340 Raid / Hawke XB30 Compact - ....
janesy

Re: Custom Excaliburs

Post by janesy »

Pretty much everything is interchangeable to some degree. Not always for the better.

People have been modifying everything under the sun since we were able to do it. Why do people paint flames on the hoods of their cars?

The funny thing about modified excalibur is that they arent "better" than before, they already are darn fast and deadly accurate. But many hope to make an improvement to some aspect that we feel might suite us better. This has been going on for a long time. Just maybe more of it right now. Hunting season is getting here.

For me? If I can have a micro that shoots up there with the stouter Matrix bows, and I can still cock it why not.
But at the same time, say for instance if I wanted a bow that felt like a power house but you could cock it all day, why not?

There is no reason why, is just fun. I'm a tinkerer. I cant leave anythong well enough alone.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I like black bows.

The Micro suppressor fit me like a glove.

Excalibur doesn't make a black suppressor.

So with a simple modification to the bulldog 400 Black ops mainframe and the purchase of black Micro limbs I built what I wanted!! :mrgreen:

This little bow shoots in the sweet spot @ 340fps and as far as I know the only one in existence... lol

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

I never get tired of seeing that bow! 👍🏻
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

bigbowman wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:51 am
I never get tired of seeing that bow! 👍🏻
I have a hard time walking by it and not shouldering it...lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I started with a Matrix 380 and a Vixen. This is what became of it. A series of trades, parting out of old bows and about 4 years later this version is what I came up with. The only remaining original part from the 380 is the scope rail. The only remaining part of the Vixen is the mainframe.

It is a Matrix 410. It used to do 412fps with a Flemish string and a 365gn arrow. I have since introduced a revised riser, so I imagine I lost some speed, but I’m confident in saying it is faster than most 405s and unquestionably faster than any Bulldog.

I prefer lightweight bows, so I convinced a company to mass produce Excalibur fastener kits in Titanium to save weight. The laminate stock offers a better cheek weld for use of the HHA, it deadens vibration and plus it looks better. The Black Mil spec 3 anodized and polished mainframe offers near zero serving wear. The list goes on...too many mods to list. But each one of them is utilitarian and makes for a better bow. I like Excaliburs, but I LOVE a custom Excalibur. I built it for target use originally, but as you can see it drops deer too and gets toted in the woods annually.

Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits