noobie here, exomag, some ?'s

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ballista1414

noobie here, exomag, some ?'s

Post by Ballista1414 »

Hey all, noobie to crossbows and to the forum here, this is my first post :wave: . hailing from northern ontario

I found a used exomag online back in may and bought it, i really love and look and feel of excaliburs and im pretty pumped to have found one for a good price (plus the accessories that came with it). im short too so the exomag looks absolutely massive when im carrying it, its my ballista lol. i've bought a tact zone scope for it, i just dont have it on yet as i've recently installed the anti dryfire rail.

i've been reading/watching vids online and have come across FOC and how it is important for arrow/bolt flight stability, penetration, and accuracy at longer distances. is that all correct or am i missing anything in terms of what FOC is and it's importance? apparently 19% according to Dr Ashby is the magic number though as i've heard from watching this vid, but anything 12-18% is good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjZH5Nx38wc

also, i need to buy some good broadheads, any recommendations? i've been watching broadhead test vids on youtube and it seems slicktrick, wasp or grim reapers seem to be pretty good. i like the looks of magnus stingers too however i've read the blood trails from them aren't that good sometimes? the area we will be hunting in is a mostly all woods of varying density, so i'd be concerned with the potential of not having that good of a blood trail.

im also very curious about grizzly stiks. http://www.grizzlystik.com/. they look seriously deadly, however i'd need to go to a 22" bolt to use them out of my mag. has anyone tried them or uses them? if i go with a 22" bolt such as the ones found on cabelas they have a half moon knock, will that change anything as i know excals are flat on the back (firebolts, diablos). i saw some bolt for sale on the trading post page too fpr sale.

also to ask, since im a noobie, is there a guide or post anywhere online that kind of runs through everything from start to finish in an orderly manner with most things pertaining to crossbows? what i've learned so far is FOC, be sure to keep your string waxed lol. you can use wax on the rail instead of lube correct? anything else thats major and i should definitely know? besides keeping my fingers below the rail when i shoot.... lol. (i was actually thinking of making a custom grip/handle underneath so it'd eliminate that possibility, however itd involve drilling though the stock and potentially the aluminum body of the bow, if anyone thnks thats a very bad idea tell me please)

i've bought an excel string for an extra, its yellow and the one on the mag is also yellow, dacron correct? my mag came with a stringer change aid, haven't tried using it yet though, definitely used and is missing one of the white plastic blocks that goes on the end of the limb tip.

ok... the stuff im excited about

our family has some property that we share with other families, however we are the only ones who hunt 8) . we've got turkey and deer on it, and even a bear as i've caught on my one cam this past spring. i've had to cut and crop the pics because only a certain size can be attached, they are this years though.

my xbows year etc i think the guy said it was made in 2003 just before they started making exomax's but im not sure. 330 fps, 200 lb draw. anyone know the specs?

also the 2 other pics, the 2 young bucks, if i see em should i take them? or let them maybe grow and hopefully harvest a year or two down the road? i was thinking of doing that maybe but however i would also run the risk of other hunters taking them if they travel during mating season looking for some deer babes lol. what do you experienced guys think? take em if i see em?

same goes for the bear, take it if i see it right? im told it'll scare the deer off? it looks like a second yearling maybe )size wise)? im not sure though. my friend saw a bear last year when hunting (i wasnt with my brother and him that day), that might be her baby.

anyways, i've been browsing around the forum a bit, looks pretty awesome :). happy hunting everyone. sorry for the essay of a post lol
Ballista1414

Re: noobie here, exomag, some ?'s

Post by Ballista1414 »

figured out how to get the pics to work

L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

The bigger buck on the left appears to be growing a rack that may amount to something I would consider shooting besides his larger body ... I would most likely allow the other smaller guy to enjoy living yet another year. :wink:

The bear on the other hand, :shock: looks to be older that your giving it credit for.... I would be seriously looking for him come bear season.
Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Welcome to the forum. First off, the serving on that string is toast. It can be reserved. A 92 -100 grain brass insert in your arrow with a 100 to 125 grain broadened will give you excellent foc. You're on the right track with broadheads. Slick tricks, Nap spitfire, grim reaper, all get great reviews on most if not all archery forums. You will need a new stringer as it's very important to maintain brace height to achieve maximum accuracy. It is used in conjunction with the rope cocker. I don't want to hog all the advice giving so I'll leave the rest for other more experienced members. Congrats on a great bow. Have fun and shoot safe. :thumbup:
Hank
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome to the forum!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
roly

Post by roly »

Once you get your string set and have sighted in, take some white out and mark the rail right under your string. When it stretches you can twist it back to your mark.
Where the riser meets the rail, that line back to your string is your bh, 1 inch is a good starting point.

Welcome to the forum, lots of great ppl here.
MickB

Post by MickB »

Hi I am no expert but owned an exomax nearly 20 years ago and recently bought a matrix 380. I liked its size to be honest and miss its simple stock .Not a fan of the pistol grip starwars blaster looking stocks on new crossbows. Regards getting started, one of the members here, Boo, has a I link I found very informative http://www.boocustomstrings.com/importantstuff.html
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Welcome aboard :)
It seems that every year I end up shooting a spike or culling one with a messed up rack.
The neighbors aren't fussy and shoot anything that walks in front of them.
I hunt because I enjoy the sport and being outdoors... harvesting anything is an added bonus :)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

welcome to the forum :thumbup:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Slick tricks BH will fly great.
Black Eagle executioners 20" w 110gr insert will fly nice.
No lube on rail, just clean rail with wd40, then wipe dry. From Dan Miller.
Check all bolts and screws for tightness.
Use one arrow when sighting in from a rest.
It's all up to you if you need venison to eat or you want to eat the tag!
Good luck!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congrats on the new Excal bow you will love it that is a great bow you have and will slay anything on 4 legs in your country.
The size really is not a big issue unless you are a enclosed blind hunter , once you sit down to hunt in a tree stand or open blind you are fine.
As far as bolts go you already have good advise on inserts but I really love the 150 grain Slick Trick x bow trick B.H. and get great flight with out inserts.
The X bow trick is a 4 blade cut, replaceable bade head , very tuff, totally dependable, has worked very well for me.
Strings stretch and servings ware out so keep and eye on them mark the rail with a pencil mark under string when you get the brace height set for quick reference if string stretches add twist to string in direction the serving is wrapped to correct,.
I you ever need a new string I would buy from one of the makers on the trading post they all make great strings you want a mag tip , long limb string they will set you up, A string changer is a must have item get one.
No one can pick the right animal for you to harvest it depends on your situation nothing wrong with shooting a spike as long as you eat it, you may only have very limited hunting chances and need the meat, in that case any 1-1/2 year old deer may end up on the table.Some areas have size restrictions so be aware of the regulations ware you hunt.
I would advise keeping shots short and only at relaxed deer I prefer under 35 yards 40 max for me .
I know deer have been killed at longer distances but I like to keep the odds high in my favor on a clean harvest, one step forward , a drop to run at sound of shot, a gust of wind at long yardages can mean a poor hit, just my opinion not every one will agree.
Patrice with the heads you hunt with I have a few dedicated practice broad heads you do not want any surprises.
Nice to have you on the forum great place to work things out.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.