Spitfire practice head

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Forkston

Spitfire practice head

Post by Forkston »

Has anyone ever used the spitfire practice head with a bag target meant for field points I have a big shot 450 bag target and was wondering
Bcxbow

Re: Spitfire practice head

Post by Bcxbow »

Forkston wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:38 am
Has anyone ever used the spitfire practice head with a bag target meant for field points I have a big shot 450 bag target and was wondering

I’ve done it before but won’t anymore. The internal material gets wrapped around it and opens big holes in bag trying to remove it.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Don't do it!....you'll regret it. Also, I bought 3 of the Spitfire practice heads. They fly and group beautifully. HOWEVER, they don't hit anywhere near the broadhead topped arrows.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

If I were you I would get a Block Black Crossbow target and use that .
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

most(but not all) of the experts on here frown on this but its what has worked for me and after 15+ years of using spits and the first several years i shot practice heads/actual bh's and field points into a block type target and there was very little if any difference between them at my hunting range out to my self imposed limit of 35 yards i just use my same grain field points to sight in with and have not looked back because it works and no more shredding targets
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
Normous

Post by Normous »

I recently received my newest target from Morrell, called the High Roller 21. It in my opinion is the BEST new target released in 2018. I first saw it at the 2018 ATA show and was certainly impressed and after shooting into it for a week I am very pleased how well it stops my 400 fps 400 grain arrow tipped with broadheads or field points. I might add that arrow removal is one handed easy. Also impressive is the self healing material.
For $99.00 and a weight of 10 pounds you can't go wrong.
Other features:
•Stops speeds up to 450 FPS
•Great for Compounds and Crossbows
•Stops all Fieldpoints and Broadheads
•100% Weatherproof
•Fade Resistant Paint
•E-Z Tote Carrying Handle
•6 Sides & 21 Bullseyes
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

The best practice head for a spitfire is a fieldpoint of the same weight. I have 5 excalibur bows. With zombies and 110 insert ....no difference in impact at all at hunting range. That is the golden thing of using them swhackers, xact cut and cabellas lazer strike ll same story
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I had a practice session with my Micro Black ops yesterday. I had 2 heads in mind for my upcoming bear hunt. The Grim reaper whitetail specials or the 125 Exodus crossbow head that I used to take my last bear.

First I tried my Grim reaper whitetail specials with a 2" blades. I didn't have a practice head so I used the actual head. First shot in to my 18-1 target and I bent the blades. :thumbdown: so to sight my bow in with them am I to use a new head after every shot?? Man that can get expensive...lol

I unscrewed the GR and put an QAD Exodus head back on. :thumbup: and after 3 shots I was dialed in out to 50 yards.

When practicing I feel you need to use the actual broadhead. I have found some practice heads don't mimic the real head. BTW the penetration with the Exodus heads in the 18-1 is unbelievable and no bent or dull blades!! I'm ready!!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Normous wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:53 pm
I recently received my newest target from Morrell, called the High Roller 21. It in my opinion is the BEST new target released in 2018. I first saw it at the 2018 ATA show and was certainly impressed and after shooting into it for a week I am very pleased how well it stops my 400 fps 400 grain arrow tipped with broadheads or field points. I might add that arrow removal is one handed easy. Also impressive is the self healing material.
For $99.00 and a weight of 10 pounds you can't go wrong.
Other features:
•Stops speeds up to 450 FPS
•Great for Compounds and Crossbows
•Stops all Fieldpoints and Broadheads
•100% Weatherproof
•Fade Resistant Paint
•E-Z Tote Carrying Handle
•6 Sides & 21 Bullseyes
Glad it works, I was meaning do follow up you you Norm and see hiw you like it. My cabelas (Reinhard) is great, but sometime I drop a kidney trying to get them out.

How far into the target does your micro bury an arrow? I do find that sometimes the 15" arrow can really diassapear with the reinhard
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

paulaboutform wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:41 pm
Don't do it!....you'll regret it. Also, I bought 3 of the Spitfire practice heads. They fly and group beautifully. HOWEVER, they don't hit anywhere near the broadhead topped arrows.

Paul
Whoops! could be bad.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Jansey, i expect at least half of your arrow available to grasp when shot from your Pitbull Micro into the High Roller target.