Anyone get a moose tag

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

munch

Anyone get a moose tag

Post by munch »

Found out on the weekend we got an archery bull tag this fall . Can't wait to go
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
mr meat

Re: Anyone get a moose tag

Post by mr meat »

Good for you Terry!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I drew a bull as wellTerry!

our group was quite lucky this year, we have a Bull and 2 cow tags in camp this year .All we need now is a bit of luck
janesy

Post by janesy »

Nice! What WMU are you guys in ?
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

My Group was drawn for calf tag for Archery this year.
WMU we hunt has the Bull / Cow / Calf Tag Draw System in place since 2004 which I am sure will be in short order rolled out across all Ontario as thing seems to be progressing.
Dramatically Controls / reduces the number of hunters while still generating maximum government revenues $$$$

The only bonus if it can be considered a bonus is that Drawing a calf tag does not result in you being put into the B Pool .
And at least you get to go moose hunting .
Downside is that the chance of filling a calf tag during the Archery Season is statistically darn near impossible.
The last I seen the success rate was about 0.05 % . :thumbdown:
Better than nothing just sitting at home .
As well Archery Deer Season is in play at the same time so if a decent Buck happens to past by :thumbup: .
A unprotected calf double bonus :thumbup: :thumbup:
As well less work with the same excitement.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

15 a Janesy
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Good luck on the hunt Paul
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Thanks, going to hunt a remote lake this year , hoping we score ! :thumbup:
munch

Post by munch »

colouredchameleon wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:27 pm
My Group was drawn for calf tag for Archery this year.
WMU we hunt has the Bull / Cow / Calf Tag Draw System in place since 2004 which I am sure will be in short order rolled out across all Ontario as thing seems to be progressing.
Dramatically Controls / reduces the number of hunters while still generating maximum government revenues $$$$

The only bonus if it can be considered a bonus is that Drawing a calf tag does not result in you being put into the B Pool .
And at least you get to go moose hunting .
Downside is that the chance of filling a calf tag during the Archery Season is statistically darn near impossible.
The last I seen the success rate was about 0.05 % . :thumbdown:
Better than nothing just sitting at home .
As well Archery Deer Season is in play at the same time so if a decent Buck happens to past

by :thumbup: .

I think your right the system is only ment to be a cash grab . I know a lot of fellows that have given up on moose . We hunt area 3 and deer season is on as well and I've shot a couple deer while hunting but the last 2 years have not seen a track but you can't go a couple hundred feet without seeing wolf sign or bear scat and I'm thinking that's a big problem
A unprotected calf double bonus :thumbup: :thumbup:
As well less work with the same excitement.
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

Pardon the ignorance of a Southerner, but why do they have moose CALF draws?
Seems like hunting deer fawns...
galamb

Post by galamb »

I have pretty much given up moose hunting, at least for now primarily due to the changes.

In Ontario you buy your moose licences which was "automatically" a calf tag good in any of our Wildlife Management Units (WMU's) and you apply to a lottery for an adult tag (bull or cow but not both) in the particular area that you wish to hunt. You can apply in groups and often time you need a group of over 10 hunters (applying as a single group) to have a "chance" at an adult tag - every hunter in that group has to pay for the licence (individually) up front regardless of the results.

So in years past if you didn't get an adult tag you could still hunt calves during the open season.

A few years back, in a few WMU's, due to low moose numbers they instituted a draw for calves as well - so you could only hunt them if you won a calf tag in the lottery but most areas were still covered by the basic licence.

Last year (or the year before) they also changed the calf season, which used to be open the same time as adult moose to start two weeks after the adult hunt started (in most WMU's) in an effort to cut down the number of calves being shot to ultimately increase the size of the herd.

For those not familiar with moose, a calf is larger weight wise (a 3 month old calf can go 200 pounds) then the average whitetail so shooting a calf produces a fair bit of meat, it's not a small animal.

There is tags set aside for outfitters, tags exclusively for the bow hunt and tags set aside for northern residents - the rest can only get a tag through the lottery. So if you want to hunt moose, in many years you will have no opportunity unless you are willing to hunt a calf because the odds of getting an adult tag are very slim in the overwhelming majority of WMU's, even if you hunt in a group with a dozen hunters.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS