Small game/blunt tips for varmints?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bobbotron

Small game/blunt tips for varmints?

Post by bobbotron »

I'd like to get some small game heads or blunt tips for my GRZ-2 crossbow, with diablo 18" arrows. Currently I shoot with 150 grain tips and would love to stay there, but it seems most blunt tips and SGH's come in 100 or 125 grain. I'm looking for them for taking out squirrels and ground hogs... my bolt cutter broad points are a bit expensive to get shot into the dirt too regularly. I feel like a blunt tip would make short work of most varmints, if I could find a good one. (Ideally from a Canadian distributor.)

On that subject... the sales guy at Cabela's was saying that 125 grain tips were too light for the GRZ-2. I think this is incorrect - with diablos (250 grain), I *could* go down to 100 grain tips?
Stock Matrix GRZ2
mr meat

Re: Small game/blunt tips for varmints?

Post by mr meat »

As long as total arra weight is 350 gr your ok,but I wouldn’t shoot that weight. 375 to 400 would be ideal
Now if you can get the nock out of your arra and depending ,if the insert is threaded all the way you can get a set screw that weighs 20 to 25 gr and thread in from the nock end which will allow you to shoot the 125 gr blunt
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
bobbotron

Post by bobbotron »

Yeah, I'm thinking a 125 grain tip would be better, 375 grain total. Weird that it's so hard to find a 150 grain blunt/sgh?

I'm thinking of trying some of these, they look pretty good. Cabela's also sells some "small game heads", but the review made them sound pretty fragile.
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/bearpaw-screw-in-rubber-blunt.html
Stock Matrix GRZ2
Normous

Post by Normous »

I remember one smart young fella on this forum who driiled a hole in a penny and added it between the field ponit and insert for small game use.

A 10 cent washer was too costly for his budget. ::
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Saunders makes a 145 grain hollow head blunt. I have used them on grouse, and whistle pigs with great success out to 30 yards. Model number 5748
https://www.sausa.com/alphalist.php?viewpage=4
Hank
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

My first thought is Grasshoppers and my second thought is what Norm mentioned...your field points and fender washers.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

bobbotron wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:03 pm
On that subject... the sales guy at Cabela's was saying that 125 grain tips were too light for the GRZ-2. I think this is incorrect - with diablos (250 grain), I *could* go down to 100 grain tips?
i have been told by several friends that some shops in my area say that anything under 150 grain head is to light for all excaliburs :crazy: seems like a lot of places need to train/educate their employees :!:
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
Boo

Post by Boo »

I think good flight may be a problem if the penny is drilled off center. Rubber blunts are not expensive.
https://www.3riversarchery.com/search.html?w=blunt

With the little targets you're going after, you'll want really good accuracy, so you want a decent amount of FOC. With the Diablos, you'll want a minimum of a 125 gr tip or broadhead and 150 gr will make a broadhead fly more accurately. Blunts will probably do well with a 125 gr. Diablos use a moderately light front insert. Most people use a brass insert to raise the FOC.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Stab 'em

Post by Stab 'em »

Paste this link to the VPA website in your browser. These are some of the sweetest small game heads I have ever seen. They are not as cheap as drilling a penny, but they will definitely thump a varmint! High quality steel, heat treated, and many different weights to choose from.

https://vparchery.com/product-category/small-game-thumper/
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I have used these with very good success on squirrels, grouse, and chipmunks.

Muzzy SG-X Small Game Head
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
bobbotron

Post by bobbotron »

Stab 'em wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:57 pm
Paste this link to the VPA website in your browser. These are some of the sweetest small game heads I have ever seen. They are not as cheap as drilling a penny, but they will definitely thump a varmint! High quality steel, heat treated, and many different weights to choose from.

https://vparchery.com/product-category/small-game-thumper/
Those look amazing! Glad I asked here, I didn't find them searching online. Wow, they go up to 300 grain?! I might try the 150s or 175s. I target shoot with 150 grain field points...
Stock Matrix GRZ2
bobbotron

Post by bobbotron »

Deaf jeff wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:32 pm
bobbotron wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:03 pm
i have been told by several friends that some shops in my area say that anything under 150 grain head is to light for all excaliburs :crazy: seems like a lot of places need to train/educate their employees :!:
I took his word for it at the time, being new to crossbows. Later I was super confused when I read the manual and it contradicted him.
Stock Matrix GRZ2
bobbotron

Post by bobbotron »

Wanted to post up here with an update. Put a bearpaw to use earlier tonight, for a raccoon in the barn, hanging out near the chickens. These crossbows are incredible, put one between the eyes and that was that. It's great I don't have to wake up the neighbors with a .22.

I have a number of different small game heads now - the only thing I don't like about them is they're really hard on targets, blow huge holes out of them.
Stock Matrix GRZ2
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

bobbotron wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:19 pm
Wanted to post up here with an update. Put a bearpaw to use earlier tonight, for a raccoon in the barn, hanging out near the chickens. These crossbows are incredible, put one between the eyes and that was that. It's great I don't have to wake up the neighbors with a .22.

I have a number of different small game heads now - the only thing I don't like about them is they're really hard on targets, blow huge holes out of them.
I am new to crossbows and have only shot Pixie the Micro 355 about 40 quills now. Wondering out loud, could a person shoot small game heads at an old blanket hanging loosely. The blanket would absorb the energy and not ruin the head or bolt. One could just hang a target, duct tape etc. On the blanket.
Ps don’t use your wife’s grandmother’s home made quilt lololololol
bobbotron

Post by bobbotron »

I've shot them through wooden barn siding and through the plywood base of my target by accident. Maybe a few layers of quilt, or a quilt with a target block behind it? I have a relatively low powered GRZ 2 and even that is pretty powerful!

I'm interested to hear if you try it!
Stock Matrix GRZ2