Chronographing Excaliburs

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hester0305

Re: Chronographing Excaliburs

Post by Hester0305 »

Keith,

Even though I tested the Matrix 380 for the advertised speed with the endless loop string I took it off, I just love the Flemish strings. I still have the 1st Flemish string that I had built 6 or 7 years ago. They just seem better IMO. I contacted Danny Miller about my weak limbs and I sent them back and he's going to send me a new set for free. You just can't beat great service.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Eric,
I totally agree. I think Flemish strings look better, last longer, and are more consistent. And I said that not because I make strings...I had Flemish on all my bows before I ever even tried to make my own. Just making the point the "Flemish String" can mean a wide variety of things. All different materials are used as well as different strand counts and different serving sizes. So the weight of the string will vary quite a lot. Even with material and strand count the same, two different guys will make 2 different weight strings based on their technique. And the limbs don't really care where the weight comes from, arrow or string. They are essentially moving the combination of the string and arrow each time. So with the same arrow, if one string is sower than another, one component of that speed difference is string weight. (radically different materials can play a part as well). At least that's my experience.

It's funny though...at the moment I am also going through some gyrations with my limbs etc on one bow and just bought another so both of my Micros currently have EL strings. :lol:

Just haven't had time to make myself any strings.

Have a great season! 8 days out now. Gonna make the rounds this weekend between dove hunts to check cameras and what not one more time before next weekend.

Keith
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

You gonna hunt opening day here in North Carolina, Keith? Between the heat and humidity and chiggers and skeeters, I don’t even think about hunting here in the South anymore, until mid-October.
NCHunter
Exocet 175 (modified)
600-grain Executioner arrows
Centaur Battle axe
(230-grain) broad heads
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

nchunterkw wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:45 am
Eric,
I totally agree. I think Flemish strings look better, last longer, and are more consistent. And I said that not because I make strings...I had Flemish on all my bows before I ever even tried to make my own. Just making the point the "Flemish String" can mean a wide variety of things. All different materials are used as well as different strand counts and different serving sizes. So the weight of the string will vary quite a lot. Even with material and strand count the same, two different guys will make 2 different weight strings based on their technique. And the limbs don't really care where the weight comes from, arrow or string. They are essentially moving the combination of the string and arrow each time. So with the same arrow, if one string is sower than another, one component of that speed difference is string weight. (radically different materials can play a part as well). At least that's my experience.

It's funny though...at the moment I am also going through some gyrations with my limbs etc on one bow and just bought another so both of my Micros currently have EL strings. :lol:

Just haven't had time to make myself any strings.

Have a great season! 8 days out now. Gonna make the rounds this weekend between dove hunts to check cameras and what not one more time before next weekend.

Keith
I'm going Dove hunting in the morning with my 2 grandson's and son in law after that It's time to check cameras and feed my stands. I'm going back to check cameras again on Wednesday to see which stand I'm going to hunt.

Good Luck
Stryker Katana 360
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

nchunterkw wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:03 pm
Hester0305 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:59 pm
I received my new 380 limbs yesterday that I ordered from Excalibur, so this afternoon I went out and shot again on the Chrono with the new limbs. It was just as I thought my original limbs were weak. I shot 3 times with my 352 gr. arrow and the endless loop string and the Matrix 380 shot 383 twice and 384. I switched over to the 408 gr. arrow and shot 3 more times and the speeds were 361,359,360. This is the speeds that I was expecting. I know my speeds will be even slower when I switch over to my Flemish string, but that's fine. I could tell when I cocked the 380 with the new limbs it was harder to cock than before with the original limbs.

I'm going to contact Excalibur about my other limbs and see if they'll replace them. Thanks everyone for their advice.
It depends on your Flemish String. Flemish or EL, if they weight the same you will get similar speeds. If a Flemish is slower, my guess is that it just weighs more.
All my flemish are slower,,, for a reason! I have 40 strand 8190's and 30 strand Force 10 built for my bows for one reason and it seems to work,, never having limb issues even after over 3000 shots on them. I also never shoot arrows under 425 grain in the 380 and mostly 445 to 542 grains, the do get'r done quieter and safer, just all round better setups for everything. I have a few FF+ flemish twist's around but never cared for them as much for the heavier draw bows, but man do they work well on the 330 and lower poundage bows.

The 8190 and the Force10 have become my two favorite, when I had my 405's I had 36 strand Force 10's built for them, and in the heat of the limb issues I never had a hiccup from mine, and man did they shoot smoother!

Yep I agree Keith, you can really taylor a bow with the flemish twist strings and they are the only ones I use!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Thanks again everyone, I'm stuck on Flemish strings also. My wife's Matrix 350 definitely has a woman's touch with a pink and gray Flemish string, she's also shooting Zombie slayers with pink wraps and a pink Luminock.
Stryker Katana 360