Bifocals

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Patcon

Bifocals

Post by Patcon »

I had a question and thought I would bring it up here. I am about to start wearing bifocals. I was hoping to get some insight on how to use a scope with bifocals. Do you use the long distance lens? Can you see the recticle with the long distance lens? Other issues?
Thanks, Charles
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
Kegbelly

Re: Bifocals

Post by Kegbelly »

I wore them for a few years until I went to progressive lenses almost two years ago. With either type of lens I look through the top (distance) part of my lens so my target is clear, although this does make the reticle a bit fuzzy. I guess it depends on your prescription as to how fuzzy that might be. Many scopes have an adjustable diopter on the eyepiece and you can adjust that to bring the reticle more into focus. It takes a little time and adjustment on your part but you get used to it and after a while you just do it without a lot of thought.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Trifocals for me , I use the top lens .
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Tri focal progressive lenses here too! I use the top of my trifocals for my scope. Good luck!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
SEW

Post by SEW »

I have a little story about bifocals that might shed some light and, hopefully, discussion.
I’m 71 and have worn bifocals for about 20 years. I first got progressive. I noticed distortion as I looked near the edges and between the distant and near junction. At the time, I was deep into benchrest and long range varmint shooting and shooting a few thousand shots a year through the prototype 10 ML I was testing loads for with Toby Bridges. The progressive bifocals seemed problematic. I could play ball and shoot instinctively better with no glasses.
I then got the traditional bifocals. What an improvement! However, I still hunted with a crossbow and traditional vertical recurve. Bifocals were still problematic with both shooting the recurve and playing ball with my son.
I, then, got specific shooting glasses but not bifocals, just distant vision. Then sunglasses the same.
What a difference! Instinctive shooting and ball playing were now much better. Same with elevated stands. Everyone's vision is different;but for me, I can still see the car and airplane instruments clearly and no more slight dipping of the head to see the instruments.
Lined bifocals are clear to the edges. Never again any progressives. For outdoor activities, including shooting thru scopes, no bifocals at all.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I have them biggest thing to remember is to look through the top section of lens . I would practice shooting at different distances and just remember look through the top. looking through the bottom or close lens can make the target very blurry .
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I have them and go all along the bottom of my glasses but take off my glasses when I shoot and use the scope adjustment to correct any vision . for me it works the best no fogging of the lense in the cold .
W.M.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

W.Miguire wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:15 am
I have them and go all along the bottom of my glasses but take off my glasses when I shoot and use the scope adjustment to correct any vision . for me it works the best no fogging of the lense in the cold .
W.M.
X2 Same for me
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I am extremely near sighted so taking off my glasses to look through the scope won't work I have tried . I have been thinking about getting a pair with just the long distance lens . you have to try different things .
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

SEW wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:53 am
I have a little story about bifocals that might shed some light and, hopefully, discussion.
I’m 71 and have worn bifocals for about 20 years. I first got progressive. I noticed distortion as I looked near the edges and between the distant and near junction. At the time, I was deep into benchrest and long range varmint shooting and shooting a few thousand shots a year through the prototype 10 ML I was testing loads for with Toby Bridges. The progressive bifocals seemed problematic. I could play ball and shoot instinctively better with no glasses.
I then got the traditional bifocals. What an improvement! However, I still hunted with a crossbow and traditional vertical recurve. Bifocals were still problematic with both shooting the recurve and playing ball with my son.
I, then, got specific shooting glasses but not bifocals, just distant vision. Then sunglasses the same.
What a difference! Instinctive shooting and ball playing were now much better. Same with elevated stands. Everyone's vision is different;but for me, I can still see the car and airplane instruments clearly and no more slight dipping of the head to see the instruments.
Lined bifocals are clear to the edges. Never again any progressives. For outdoor activities, including shooting thru scopes, no bifocals at all.
I totally understand, it took me two different sets of lenses with progressive lenses before I could wear them. I'm still not crazy about them. Bifocals worked ok for me until I reached a point where I couldn't read text at arms length (the computer screen at work) so rather than a lined trifocal I went with the progressive for the in-between distances. They do distort at the edges, which drove me crazy for the longest before my brain adapted. I have several pair of Rx sunglasses for driving, motorcycle, etc that are all single vision (distance) that I leave in the vehicles. But my everyday glasses are the progressives, I don't want to carry half dozen pairs of glasses around. But back to the topic at hand, I've gotten used to shooting with them and it's not a big deal now, I just make sure to look through the upper part of the lens.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

Thanks guys
I should be picking the new glasses up early this week. I ordered the non-progressive lenses. They were cheaper and I figured that was a better mistake then getting progressives and not liking them.I have been wearing reading glasses in the stand for probably 2 years. I can't read my phone with out them. My son will text me from the other stand or sometimes one of my friends will be texting me. It helps keep me awake. I don't see well enough anymore to hunt with out something and with my new glasses I should have 20/15 vision. That should make it a little easier to tell what I'm looking at. Our youth day is September 8th, so it's getting close and I am trying to get ready. Still lots to do...
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I wear bifocals and always look above my glasses thru scope.
Clear field of view.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks