Best target

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mark Rainbolt

Best target

Post by Mark Rainbolt »

I am in the market for a new target. I was thinking of a rinehart but was wondering what you all were using. I would like one that lets me pull arrows out easily, and will stand up to lots of arrows. Thanks for any help.
Mark
I walk in the light with my Lord and Savior!!!
2011 Excalibur Vortex with a Twilight DLX Scope
Boo Custom Strings
Boo Custom Trigger
Gold Tip Laser IV's
100gr. Swacker Broadheads
Onestringer Arrow Wraps, with Blazer Vanes
Equals a Deadly Weapon!!!
Normous

Re: Best target

Post by Normous »

New for 2018 is the Morrel High Roller 21.
Easy arrow removal.
Self healing
Light weight
For broadheads or fieldpoints
Under $100

Mine stops my 400 gr arrows at 400 fps easily.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Mark I have a couple of different targets, I have a Rhino block target that works well for field points and broadheads. I have a Spyder Webb target that is great for field points and easy arrow removal. My favorite is the least expensive, I took a corn sack and stuffed it with old clothes mostly old shirts and filled it full and packed it down with my foot and tied it shut. The sack will stop my 350 and 380 arrows with no problem. Good luck with your decision they're a lot of good targets out there.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

My favorite is the rineheart 18 n 1 . Handles broad heads and field point real tough ! And makes good bear bait :thumbup:
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Rag bag for field points and 18/1 for broadheads.
Hank
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Buck Stop from Walmart and Yellow Jacket from Fleet Farm work good for me...
They are both rag targets and two finger arrow removal is nice.
I shoot a lot and go through a target a year so the Walmart ones are good enough for me when I find them on sale.
I don't shoot much with broadheads and stick with the ones I know fly the same as my target tips.
I also have a grain sack stuffed with old towels, sheets, T shirts....anything without buttons, zippers, or skid marks. :shock: :lol:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

Corn bag full of old clothes/rags. Even Slick Tricks can't get through it. If you take a little time to cut your fabric into strips it is real easy to use. For broadheads, just leave the top of the bag open...grab the arrow and direct it up towards the opening, lift the rag strips off the head and you can pull the broadhead right out the top of your bag.

This is SOOOOO Easy!.., It works so well, I cannot believe that there is a single target manufacture left in business! :mrgreen:
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

Don’t buy a Redhead target for stopping broadheads...I did some broad head shooting today and I usually back the target up with my Morrell bag target. This time I wanted to see the Redhead stop the broadheads on its own...two hours later I finally found my bolt eight feet up in a tree in my back woods. My Spitfire tipped arrow sliced through that foam target like nobody’s business.
Time for a better broadhead stopper!
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

The Block black crossbow does not stop arrows from an Excalibur my matrix 330 arrow went through it in 5 shots last year I got one and it says "stops all field points ,broadheads and expandables " . Well is took a photo of the Block and sent it to them explaining that this was done by an Excalibur Matrix 330 Crossbow , They sent me another and I shot that to pieces . Now I back it up with a few things as It still goes through . I would back up what ever you get for a target . I shoot a practice head like the one I am hunting with.
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

Burlap sack with cloth scraps from a local textile mill is the best I’ve found for field points. Way better than any foam.

For broad heads - which I only shoot infrequently to double-check POI - just go to Tractor Supply and ask them for those big blocks of styrofoam they get in with their trailers. They stop broad heads. Of course the broad heads tear the styrofoam up pretty quickly, but since the target’s free, who cares?
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Feed bag with old carpet inside!
Use spitfire broadhead with glued blades and it goes in about 1 inch sometimes it falls out !
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Has any body ever used a yellow jacket crossbow bag target for broad heads ??? :think:

Dave :thumbup:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
RobD

Post by RobD »

I use two chicken feed bags (50# feed bags) stuffed with all t-shirts. Stops my Matrix 380 field points from full penetration from 20-40 yards. Plus it gives me a nice picture of a life-size chicken to aim for on the front. When the outer bag wears out, I just swap it for another one. I tape the top closed, but can see where leaving it open would really help with getting the broadheads out. Going to remember that tip.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!
Buck

Post by Buck »

papa bear1 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:01 am
Has any body ever used a yellow jacket crossbow bag target for broad heads ??? :think:

Dave :thumbup:

Curiosity got me and I did once... just once with a bolt cutter. The yj350 stopped it but it would not pull out. In addition to removal issues, I’d imagine that you’d have to replace the “bag” cover portion after each shooting session.
Micro 335 / Hawke XB30 Pro- Excal Sound Deadening System....
Matrix 350 SE / Hawke XB30 Compact - Couldn't say no......
308 Shorty / Hawke XB30 Pro- Tack driver ....
Axe 340 Raid / Hawke XB30 Compact - ....
PublicLandHunter1

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

I like my Ironman target. It stops my bolts from the 405 and only requires two fingers to pull the bolt out. I took it out to a friends house and we shot all morning with no problems. I also own the smaller version and take it to camp. The only bad thing about this target is that broadheads tear it up. Next on my to buy list is a good broadhead target.
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain