Broadhead VS Fieldpoint POI

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Re: Broadhead VS Fieldpoint POI

Post by longbow joe »

Agreed nog. The factory fletched zombies are pretty accurate also.The spitfire is dependable as dirt and makes a nasty hole .l have recovered deer with "not so perfect " hits that l wasnt proud of a few times due to its massive cut. Ive had the same acuracy and luck with the xact cut recently so now l have 2 favorites.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Bcxbow wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:42 am
With all the discussions about broadheads flying the same as fieldpoints I thought I would offer my opinion from over 40 years of shooting, testing and hunting with archery equipment. This opinion was derived from actual testing/usage and not advertisements or hearsay.

In the early part of my archery career my belief was that any broadhead I shot had to have the same point of impact as my fieldpoints or the broadheads were junk (if the broadheads spun perfect). I struggled with this for over a decade which caused me to use broadheads that i would normally not prefer based solely on their point of impact with fieldpoints. As I gained some more age and knowledge I began to understand that if a broadhead does not have the same point of impact as my fieldpoint and everything is in proper tune that it doesn't necessarily mean that the broadhead is junk and here is why.

A fieldpoint is a smooth conical shaped point that has very little aerodynamic effect on an arrow of any type but a broadhead come in many different type of configurations, conical tip, cut on contact tip, chisel tip and more. Broadheads also have blades that protrude from the ferrule and all of this changes the aerodynamics of the arrow overall. So IMO if you have broadheads that shoot the same as you fielpoints at ALL yardages then you should go buy some lottery tickets because you're very lucky. How do we get around this?

First off set some guidelines for what you expect from the broadhead such as weight, cutting diameter, shape, blade thickness and any other parameter that you may be looking for. Then shoot at least three arrows with each type of broadheads (remember you must use the same arrows for accurate results) at different spots and see which head/arrow combination gives you the smallest amount of deviation from their POI. Sight your bow in with the best combination and go harvesting.

What does it matter if broadheads and fieldpoints have the same POI, you're not hunting with fieldpoints!

Billy
Well put sir
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Steelhead 100's group right alongside my FP's out to 50yds...
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
Art-Man

Post by Art-Man »

I just had some new arrows made up by local archery shop and decided to try out the QAA Exodus broadheads. Was shooting exact same POE as my field points out to 40.
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

Art-Man wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:16 pm
I just had some new arrows made up by local archery shop and decided to try out the QAA Exodus broadheads. Was shooting exact same POE as my field points out to 40.
Only because they take them from the population. Common sense is not as easy to expropriate...
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I shoot Sonic broadheads. The "regular" Sonic 7/8" 10 grain and the Sonic Bolt 150 grain shoot to the exact same point as my same weight field tips in my Axiom and Matrix. In my vertical bow, the regular sonic shoot to same exact point as same weight field tips. I tried others but only one other did this and then only in the Matrix 380. An Allen broadhead of 125 grains shoots exactly the same as the 150 grain field tip in the Matrix but not in the Axiom or with a vertical bow and I don't know why.