The 380 Mad Max,,, Defines Consistency!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wildcatter

The 380 Mad Max,,, Defines Consistency!

Post by wildcatter »

Out of the dozens of Exo's, Micro's, and Matrix bows I have owned the 380 Mad Max has always been my favorite. Now today there was a question about leaving bows cocked all day or for more than one day hurting them, so I did some thinking, and some checking and did a little test.

My Mad Max was one of the first produced when they anounced them, I bought two from Wyvern creations, and both are still with their original owners, mine, and one of my hunt'n and fish'n buddies. when I buy any bow it gets cocked and left cocked day and night the first week unless I am shooting it. After that when I hunt my bows are cocked before start time and I don't uncock them till after leagal hunting hours, sometimes I may leave them cocked to hunt the next day and just leave them in the Suburban for the next morning's hunt.

Well I said it is good for these Excaliburs, then I thought,, is it really. So I got my records out to see, when I first got it I shot the factory Diablo with a 100 grain point to see if it would hit it's rated speed. Well after church I got the 380 out. I had it set up with the 330 rail on it so I changed it back with the 380 rail, and even got in my string box and dug out it's original orange factory string it came with to duplicate the same test I did out of the box, the only shots that string has had on it till today.

I recorded this on 10/10/2014, it clocked in at 379.8 fps. as it came from the factory, today I clocked it at 373.9 fps. so with over 1000's of shots in excess of 3000, maybe over 5000? I quit keeping track after 1500 some 2 1/2 or 3 years ago.with to many days cocked for more than 24 hours at a time to remember, I was wrong,,, it lost almost 6 fps from brand new out of the box, and this is with a busted limb that failed the first month I had it! Yep,, I'm still using that same exact set of limbs that came with it, the ones in this picture!

I held my same 1" BH, checlked tiller uncocked rt side = 15 1/16" Lt side 15", cocked tiller was rt side 12 1/2" lft side 12 7/16" so the limbs are totally equal in deflection to date. I'll live with a 6 ft per second and see if they have seasoned to stay where they are, I'm betting they are.

This is my favorite bow out of over 2 dozen all premium models from Tenpoint, Scorpyd, Parker, Darton, Excalibur, Bowtech, Native, and some I've forgoten, all good bows but none as sweet the Matrix 380 for me. I think this is a testimony to how durrable the Matrix series from Excalibur realy is! I will continue to cock my bows and leave them cocked with concern of damaging them, I mean for the past four years it's been pretty good a busted limb!

I put the 8190 Flemish back on it had when I took it down last year after hunting and put the 330 rail on it, I have both rails setup the same, XB-30 Pro SR scopes, and triggerTech single stage triggers with Gardian scope rails, the rail is actually a 315 rail I found out after measuring it, not what the guy I bought it from said he cut it down to. But first shot with last years hunting arrows at 465 grains with the same lighted firenocks in them, and after adjusting BH my first shot, offhand at 30 yards with the Viper trick tipped double wall tapps, same everything as I hunted with it last year,,,, I just don't understand my deep attachment to this bow,,,,,

Trust me on the bags after changing rails risers and strings this bow would be dead on off the rest, I'm just a little out of shape but have about 6 weeks to get my chit together, I'll be able to kill a deer by then,,, without carrying a picnic table to shoot from,,, :thumbup:

If it hurts the limbs leaving them cocked, I can't tell it this bow is as consistent as any bow I ever owned.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Normous

Re: The 380 Mad Max,,, Defines Consistency!

Post by Normous »

I'm sure you will be in shape within 6 weeks before you hit the field. Your certainly not one to leave things for the last minute.

I wish you a good 2018 deer season.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

My brother in-law left his in his enclosed blind on our property last year when he got done hunting Sunday night.
The following weekend we were in our stands again when I got a text from him saying he forgot to uncock his 330 the previous weekend and wanted to know what he should do and if I thought it was damaged at all. I told him to look the limbs over and shoot it. I think he was still looking at the limbs when a nice does appeared at 30 yards. He text me back and said it hit right where he aimed. :wink:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Nice report Wildcater
My first Excal was an Equinox I took it to a 3d shoot and dry fired it half way through the course, I looked it over real good and finished the course with no loss of accuracy try that with a compound X bow.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Good to hear that your 380 is bullet proof .I have all the faith in my Excal's . my friend Tim left his 355 Matrix cocked all winter and it was just fine mid summer next. these bows are great. :thumbup:
W.M.
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

gerald strine wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:36 pm
Nice report Wildcater
My first Excal was an Equinox I took it to a 3d shoot and dry fired it half way through the course, I looked it over real good and finished the course with no loss of accuracy try that with a compound X bow.
Remember that day well, accuracy was good can't say the same for the arrow retainer. Had to be there...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott