New optics. New learning lesson.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bwagss

New optics. New learning lesson.

Post by bwagss »

My 2005 Excalibur Vari-Zone scope that came with my then new to me Phoenix crossbow finally locked up after 13 years of faithful service, and too many to list harvested deer. I did some research and purchased the Nikon Bolt XR 3x32 BDC 60 crossbow scope. Yesterday I went to mount it and guess what? Yep, it wouldn't work with my original Excalibur 7/8" scope rail. The new Nikon is shorter than the original Vari-Zone, meaning that I less slots for scope ring adjustment slots. The older Excalibur scope mount only has I believe 4 slots for attaching rings. Luckily they must have up-graded over the years since the new scope mount (part no. 2006 @ $29.99) has 9 slots for ring adjustments or spacing. Should have in a couple days after ordering.

Just a heads up if you have an older Excalibur crossbow and you want to upgrade to a shorter optic.
When you think you know everything, you find out how much you don't know.
nchunter

Re: New optics. New learning lesson.

Post by nchunter »

Yeah, I recently discovered the old rail is also too narrow to clamp 30mm scope rings on as well. I had to use some hillbilly engineering and add some brass shims. It seems to be holding...