Scope Setting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

W.Miguire

Scope Setting

Post by W.Miguire »

I was kinda wondering how many of you folks set their scopes for 25yds. and use it for 20 and 30 yds. with one aiming point? I tried it for the first time and it seems to work pretty good. just wondering
W.M.
Normous

Re: Scope Setting

Post by Normous »

Since I can only shoot 30 yards corner to corner in my backyard and knowing that every deer I have ever shot was under 25 yards my preference is to set my scope impact at 25 yards.

I aim a bit low from 15 to 20 and If a shot ever presents itself at 30 I would just aim a bit high. An 8 inch vital area isn't to hard to miss using a fast set up.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

i set mine to 30, most of my shots will be 25-30 but the 30 yard setting puts me good at 35 if i need to shoot that far and still well within the killzone
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

If your system works for you there is nothing wrong with it. My 305 fps ibex is basically a whimpy crossbow by todays standards and l basically have a 30 yard personal limit. I have still practiced with it at 40 yards and am still quite accurate with it. This past year l had the opportunity to shoot at a large buck at 41 yards . A long slow freight train was coming and l knew the buck would never hear my bow so l took the long shot and drilled him and was very glad l did. My point is .....sometimes it just doesn't pay to limit yourself when you have the capability for a longer shot. I normally would have not shot that far .l sometimes think l would like to try a simpler one crosshair scope but then l would be limiting myself for a odd oprutunity like this scenario.
Last edited by longbow joe on Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

[url=https://postimages.org/]Image
My freight train Longshot buck
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Couple of my loopys have heavy duplex n i sight in the xhair at 30 yds. Then the thin to thick joints upper is on at 20 yds n lower is on at 40 yds wid my scope set at 5x on my 2x7. On my 1x4 its on the 4x
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
janesy

Post by janesy »

W.Miguire wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:13 pm
I was kinda wondering how many of you folks set their scopes for 25yds. and use it for 20 and 30 yds. with one aiming point? I tried it for the first time and it seems to work pretty good. just wondering
W.M.
I never use the hash marks on anything. My setting from last year if I recall correctly was ZERO at 27 yards , which left me 2" high at 20 and 2" low at 35.

Why think about distance if you don't have to?
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

That's what I was wondering, thanks
W.M.
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

so, bill, are u thinking of changing over to this technique? my ML scope has multiple cross hairs but i only use the main one. after a lifetime of hunting in swamps & forests i am now hunting fields on my son's land where the shot distance varies considerably. doesn't matter much when i am there with my .06 or ML but there's a lot of drop with 40 yard shots from my 335. i always want to limit my shots to under 30 but when i see horns further away and the buck exiting the area it gets hard not to shoot. still learning that part of bow hunting! having a buck that close & not shooting is counter to the first 40+ years and will take some discipline (maybe more than i have!). i think i need the 30 & 40 yard chevrons especially with the bucks we are seeing on the cams. it would be very hard to pass up a decent shot on any of those.
mark
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

The flatter the bow shoots has a lot to do with it no dought
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I use a Leupold with the multiple points. I want to be as exacting as possible so I use a rangefinder and then aim with the appropriate crosshair. A simpler system might work but I don't want to worry about where to hold or what if I am a little high or low. If you use one point of reference do you use a rangefinder? With a lot of practice does it become second nature where to hold?
grouse

Post by grouse »

I sighted my bow in at 25 yds. last year and the first deer shot was at 15 yards. I didn't think to aim lower and I spined her. She died quickly but I still didn't like it. I switched back to 20 yds. and am comfortable with the decision. I don't use the 30, 40 and 50 yard chevrons either (except target practice) I just aim a little higher if I need to. My self imposed limit is 35 yards and even if I stretched it to 40 yards, I think I can make it work fine.
axiom
350 SE
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I tried some diff. things and found for me I will stick to 20 for 20 30 for 30 and so on ,that way there is no guessing . and the use of the range finder is ones best bet. thanks for everyone's input.
W.M.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Here is the Reticle from my Leupold Mark AR. Main dot is set for 20yards each mark below main is for 30,40 etc.. Great scope BTW!!

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

vixenmaster wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:47 pm
Couple of my loopys have heavy duplex n i sight in the xhair at 30 yds. Then the thin to thick joints upper is on at 20 yds n lower is on at 40 yds wid my scope set at 5x on my 2x7. On my 1x4 its on the 4x
Mike, until I bought an HHA I shot like that also with my Leupold and it really works great out to 40 yards which lets you only look an one crosshair. all it takes is a little practice and you're good to go. The Bushnell banner Dawn and Dusk Shotgun Scope heavy duplex works well also for under $100.00 and its as bright as my Leupold 2-7 shotgun scope. My wife has one on her Matrix 350 and loves it.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads