Scope recommendations for 335

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Stab 'em

Scope recommendations for 335

Post by Stab 'em »

I have the 335 micro with a scope off a Raven that has all the hash marks and dots out to 100 yards. It works out ok but the magnification really sucks because of the speed, so accuracy is suffering. Without going to the HHA opt. setup, what hard mounted scope will give me more magnification but with range to 100 yards target shooting? It can have hash marks, mil dots, ect., but it is the magnification, range, and accuracy I'm after. What do we have available?
MTBighorn

Re: Scope recommendations for 335

Post by MTBighorn »

I use the Tact-Zone out to 120 yards on my M380. But as you say,..I have to dial my power (aka speed zoom) almost all the way down for the the 60 yard chevron to be on at 100 yards. What I really enjoy is that with my set-up dialed my chevrons match perfectly out to 100 yards...

One thing to consider is that high powder zoom magnifies your motions so much, that any use other than a solid bench rest is not very comforting. I shoot my BPCR rifle to 1200 yards with iron sights...so accuracy doesn't really suffer with a low power, it just feels that way :lol: Sight picture is what matters so find a better target and your low(er) powered scope may surprise you.

It works out poerfectly for the chevrons on my TactZ Dialed for 100 yards on the 60 yard reference chevron with the scope set to the mark pictured above.

Chevron=Actual distance in yards..

20=20 yards Center or scope.
30=40
40=60
45=70
50=80
55=90
60=100yrds
Last edited by MTBighorn on Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

Wow, 1200 yards! Here in the East it’s hard to find even a 200-yard stretch to safely shoot a rifle.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I think that's the $64 question. Even with an HHA, Colton's Micro 335 wont adjust to 100 yards. It will get to about 85 yards with the dial and then scope has mi-dots. Asking a scope to be bright, have good optics, maybe be illuminated ,a variable power range and have enough adjustment to shoot to 100 yards at a higher power is asking more than any scope that I know of can give. The ONLY time we ever shoot to 100 is at Boofest. We hunt at traditional ranges (20-30 yards) so what we use most of the time wont do all the above. It is a big order and I'm not really aware of anything that does all of that well. Like all compromises you are going to give up something to get something else. Just decide which parts of the equation is most important to you. Having a hunting scope and a different scope for long range shooting is a thought, but more expense and trouble. If you find one let me know.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

^^^good advice given there. Your bow is too slow and a bit undersized for an XBR and even with an HHA, (which BTW you shouldn’t dismiss out of hand because paired with a good optic, for long range they are clearly the best). Now with a faster bow, (mind you no recurves approach the needed speed), and Paul’s old modified VXR in 2-7 with the target turret, you could get to 100y within a few turns of a dial but never w a Micro; they aren’t the most suitable bow for that distance anyway.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Stab 'em

Post by Stab 'em »

I can reach out to 100 yards easily, watching the bolt fly to the mark even. But it is really the magnification that is what is lacking. If it were twice what it is then it would be near perfect. And like I said earlier, I target shoot this x-bow. I hunt with my vertical bows.
flightattendant100

To shoot with a higher power setting on your scope, I think an HHA is about the only option. I fought for a couple of years not using one because of the height, but if you can get some additional height on cheek piece then all is good. What we wound up with to shoot 100 at Boofest with some more magnification is an HHA with a Burris 3.5-10x M-TAC scope. Use center crosshairs and HHA, and you can set magnification anywhere in the range of scope and be zeroed. After you run out of adjustment in HHA, you can use the mil-dots to get a zero at 100. Using mil-dots will marry you to a power setting though as changing power will affect spacing of mil-dots. This is best I came up with and it works fine. You can shoot with 10x magnification if that suits you. A side note, you can turn power setting down to 3.5x and use HHA and center crosshairs and hunt just fine. Scope is on large side but not too bad.
flightattendant100

Another thought...... I watched “ Racking up Points” shoot his 405+ at the Boofest 100 this year. The difference in trajectory between a 405+ and a Micro 335 is amazing! There are FEET difference there.It was a fun shoot this year in spite of the wind.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Stab 'em wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:03 am
And like I said earlier, I target shoot this x-bow. I hunt with my vertical bows.

All the more reason you need to check out the HHA. I originally bought the HHA for my M410 to be a “target bow.” I though the cheek weld and weight and cost were dissuading factors; this bow has become my go-to killing bow. Like Paul said, if it’s MAG you want, there isn’t much on the market to suit your application.

If you like offhand shooting at all, you don’t need a lot of mag. I learned from paulaboutform at last year’s Boofest 100 that if I dialed down the power, my group size shrunk. Obviously with more MAG it’s hard to hold dead still and if I just held in the neighbourhood while focusing past the crosshairs, lower MAG was more accurate.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
flightattendant100

racking up points wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:14 am
Stab 'em wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:03 am
And like I said earlier, I target shoot this x-bow. I hunt with my vertical bows.

All the more reason you need to check out the HHA. I originally bought the HHA for my M410 to be a “target bow.” I though the cheek weld and weight and cost were dissuading factors; this bow has become my go-to killing bow. Like Paul said, if it’s MAG you want, there isn’t much on the market to suit your application.

If you like offhand shooting at all, you don’t need a lot of mag. I learned from paulaboutform at last year’s Boofest 100 that if I dialed down the power, my group size shrunk. Obviously with more MAG it’s hard to hold dead still and if I just held in the neighbourhood while focusing past the crosshairs, lower MAG was more accurate.
Derrick, on high power magnification, the bow doesn’t move any more than on a lower power. It just enables you to see how much it is moving. Target definition is not an enemy. All the movement is distracting, but it’s there on the lower power, you just can’t see it. Practice with the power up. You will get to where you are used to it and can cope with the distraction. Most of the guys that win in Metallic Silhouettes shoot a 36x or a 36x that’s been bumped. They like the target definition . Try some of that on a windy day..... you’ll shoot on the wrong bank of animals!😳