Broadhead alignment

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Broadhead alignment

Post by Boo »

Something I learned a while ago but keep on forgetting to share. A couple of years ago I bought a bunch of Slick Tricks and tried to align them on my arrow tester. I was pretty much fit to be tied because they were all over the place. I checked my G5 Strikers on the shafts and they were out and they usually weren't out at all. What I was doing is cranking them down pretty tight which is not what I usually do. So I just threaded them in all the way and then snugged them up and voila, all aligned with no wrestling! I forgot to apply just enough pressure to seat them and apply nail polish to secure them.
Check your broadhead alignment boys! It makes a big ass difference to accuracy past 20 yards.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
nchunterkw

Re: Broadhead alignment

Post by nchunterkw »

Boo,
By broadhead alignment you are talking about run out, or spin test, etc. and not alignment to fletching or anything like that. Just to be clear.

Slick tricks also come with a washer that has a flat side and a side with a rounded corner. The flat side MUST MUST MUST go against the insert. The rounded side is made to fit up against the ferrule and blades. Look carefully at the washers.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Boo

Post by Boo »

nchunterkw wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:07 am
Boo,
By broadhead alignment you are talking about run out, or spin test, etc. and not alignment to fletching or anything like that. Just to be clear.

Slick tricks also come with a washer that has a flat side and a side with a rounded corner. The flat side MUST MUST MUST go against the insert. The rounded side is made to fit up against the ferrule and blades. Look carefully at the washers.
No question Keith that the blades contacted the bevel. I think it's a poor system for alignment.
Think about a thread, it's always biased to one side where it ends.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Yeah....just throwing out the "flat-side/round-side" info for those using SlickTricks who may not be aware. Easy thing to miss, especially if you don't have a spin tester.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I use the Exodus heads they seem to seat really well. :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Carnivorous wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:47 pm
Yeah, my RamCats seem to always seat really well, spin true and fly great. Everytime I use Slicks I have to mess around to get them to spin true, but then they are usually just fine
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Boo

Post by Boo »

Carnivorous wrote:
Carnivorous wrote:
That's because both have a super short ferrule. While they may be out, the subtension is barely measurable.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Boo wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:11 pm
Carnivorous wrote:
Carnivorous wrote:
That's because both have a super short ferrule. While they may be out, the subtension is barely measurable.
I keep a few "known" straight Magnus stinger BHs around just for spin testing. They are like 2" long so they give a nice indication.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Normous

Post by Normous »

nchunterkw wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:07 am

Slick tricks also come with a washer that has a flat side and a side with a rounded corner. The flat side MUST MUST MUST go against the insert.
Thanks Keith, I was just about to search the forum for this info and it falls in my lap.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Tep I have never ran a slick trick torqued down for the very reason you spoke Don. and Kieth made a great point for those no aware of this. I found the Viper Tricks require the same no force tightening, but when lightly snugged always spin true for me.

As for aligning vanes,, even with my 3 blade VPA's this has proven to be a waste of time. I use Zombies and Tapps that are indexed and tightly spine matched, so maybe this is why, but I think if folks are finding improvements in 3 Blade broadheads by wasting time aligning blades with vanes these days,, my guess is is you would find even better results not fooling with it, and investing in tighter matched and indexed arrows!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

wildcatter wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:39 pm
Tep I have never ran a slick trick torqued down for the very reason you spoke Don. and Kieth made a great point for those no aware of this. I found the Viper Tricks require the same no force tightening, but when lightly snugged always spin true for me.

As for aligning vanes,, even with my 3 blade VPA's this has proven to be a waste of time. I use Zombies and Tapps that are indexed and tightly spine matched, so maybe this is why, but I think if folks are finding improvements in 3 Blade broadheads by wasting time aligning blades with vanes these days,, my guess is is you would find even better results not fooling with it, and investing in tighter matched and indexed arrows!
I've also tested the blade/vane alignment with both compounds and crossbows with the same results Wildcatter is referring to....zero difference.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Shoebuck

Post by Shoebuck »

Amen on the Spynall Tapps Wildcatter. I recently purchased my second doz., and they are amazing. I shoot Slick Trick Mags and Wac ems and shooting off of shooting sticks, both broadheads shoot spot on with my field tips at 40 yds. That is my max and I have not tried them at longer distance. When you can get 1' to 1 1/2" groups at 40 off of shooting sticks, I am sure they would do just fine at longer distances.
Micro 335 Camo
Micro 335 Nightmare
Black Eagle Zombies
Spynal Double Tapps
Slick Trick Mag
Wac'em Broadheads
DeerBoy Strings
Xcalibur Strings
8-PtBuck Strings
Nikon Bolt
Boo

Post by Boo »

I was sighting in some G5 Strker Magnums that are a 1.5" cut. I aligned the broadhead using a tip from a Gold Tip video on Youtube. I got almost 1" at 40 yards and the same POI as my field tips. If your broadheads don't have the same POI as field tips, try it. Although an arrow spinner is most efficient, you can use the crook between a coffee cup handle and the cup or even nails crossed on a board. There's lots of alternatives.

https://ca.images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrCxGH.Dclb7AQARr0XFwx.;_ylu=X3oDMTB0N2Noc21lBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=diy+arrow+spinner&fr2=piv-web&fr=yhs-avg-securebrowser&hspart=avg&hsimp=yhs-securebrowser

https://youtu.be/__duPM7CfrA
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I checked it out. Very interesting, I'll have to give that a try. Good intel Don. Thanks.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.