Micro 335 Limb Failure

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tateder

Re: Micro 335 Limb Failure

Post by Tateder »

I am on my 3rd set of limbs for my micro 335. Last winter, I noticed small cracks in one of the limbs. It seemed to perform fine and I hunted with it the rest of the season. It was still under warranty and the cracks bothered me so I contacted support. Dawn helped me via email. I had to send my limbs in and when they got them, they sent a new set out. When I got the new set, the camo didn’t match my bow at all. When I went to put a string on it to sight in this summer, we had nothing but problems getting the limbs compressed enough. We eventually got it and sighted in. While in my blind opening weekend, the limbs started making horrible, loud creaking noises while on my lap. I eventually set it down and took cover while it loudly snapped over about 3-4 minutes. I emailed Dawn right away. She replied early morning Monday. This time, I was able to get new ones sent right away before I sent the broken one in. I got them 2 days later. This set looks MUCH better than the last replacement. Camo matches better and it came with a string on, bumpers, and a stirrup all on the riser. Happy to have this set and feel like I won’t have any more problems. Not happy to have to pay for shipping twice and having to site in again but at least it looks good again and they threw in the string this time.

I wonder if these cracked limbs is more of a problem with the micro than the other models. My bow is babied and not shot very much. Never dropped, left outside, or anything rough. Hopefully I was just unlucky.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I have an original micro that is not babied and shot a lot. I have never had a problem with it. In short its asking a lot of torture from a small 16 inch limb bending like that. I just think the micro is just more prone to breaking than the longer limb excalibur bows .lts just the way it be. Great bow though. More reason to buy another excalibur for backup.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Buck

Post by Buck »

Called Dawn Monday morning, left a message, and she called me back within 20 minutes. Very pleasant and helpful. She advised me to send entire riser with limbs to Woody’s in PA (close to my location in the Republic of NJ). I was told that a new riser assembly would be shipped out when they get mine. I shipped it Tuesday and received an update from Excalibur indicating that Woody’s received it yesterday. Doubtful I’ll get it back by the weekend but very pleased with the communication and process so far.
Micro 335 / Hawke XB30 Pro- Excal Sound Deadening System....
Matrix 350 SE / Hawke XB30 Compact - Couldn't say no......
308 Shorty / Hawke XB30 Pro- Tack driver ....
Axe 340 Raid / Hawke XB30 Compact - ....
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Tateder wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:25 pm
I am on my 3rd set of limbs for my micro 335. Last winter, I noticed small cracks in one of the limbs. It seemed to perform fine and I hunted with it the rest of the season. It was still under warranty and the cracks bothered me so I contacted support. Dawn helped me via email. I had to send my limbs in and when they got them, they sent a new set out. When I got the new set, the camo didn’t match my bow at all. When I went to put a string on it to sight in this summer, we had nothing but problems getting the limbs compressed enough. We eventually got it and sighted in. While in my blind opening weekend, the limbs started making horrible, loud creaking noises while on my lap. I eventually set it down and took cover while it loudly snapped over about 3-4 minutes. I emailed Dawn right away. She replied early morning Monday. This time, I was able to get new ones sent right away before I sent the broken one in. I got them 2 days later. This set looks MUCH better than the last replacement. Camo matches better and it came with a string on, bumpers, and a stirrup all on the riser. Happy to have this set and feel like I won’t have any more problems. Not happy to have to pay for shipping twice and having to site in again but at least it looks good again and they threw in the string this time.

I wonder if these cracked limbs is more of a problem with the micro than the other models. My bow is babied and not shot very much. Never dropped, left outside, or anything rough. Hopefully I was just unlucky.
Almost all limbs that bro on our micro 335 at camp bro while sitting in treestand or walking to camp!
Almost all were shot less than 10\20 times!!!
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I have had things sent from Woody's they send by usps if they send it out today you might get it Saturday . I live in Mass and they get it to me pretty much over night . Excalibur will send you a tracking # when it ships . you can then check on when it will be delivered .
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Both of my Micro limbs are flawless just like the majority of Micro bows!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

My first Micro was gen 1 335 with hundreds of shots on her, then sold. It's still going strong and was a 343 in reality. My Micro 355 which is a 355 chronographed has a few hundred shots as well, zero issues. I'm very lucky I suppose! :eusa-dance:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Looking at the pics brings a question to my mind. How tight were the main limb bolts?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Buck

Post by Buck »

Boo wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:50 am
Looking at the pics brings a question to my mind. How tight were the main limb bolts?

I’m not sure, I do regularly check to see if any bolts are loose. Had to tighten the scope rings, quiver mount, and stirrup a few times but never the limb bolts or stock.

Also, this bow was used in regular rotation. Never abused. Replace the string a couple times, has 700+ shots. It has maintained accuracy throughout.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Buck wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:44 pm
Boo wrote:

I’m not sure, I do regularly check to see if any bolts are loose. Had to tighten the scope rings, quiver mount, and stirrup a few times but never the limb bolts or stock.

Also, this bow was used in regular rotation. Never abused. Replace the string a couple times, has 700+ shots. It has maintained accuracy throughout.
You really can't check well with the string on. You'd be able to tell when you removed the main limb bolts.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Buck

Post by Buck »

Boo wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:51 pm
Buck wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:44 pm
Boo wrote:

You really can't check well with the string on. You'd be able to tell when you removed the main limb bolts.
I haven’t checked them with the string off, makes sense. I’ll be adding that to the check list.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

If the bow your having issues with is a Gen II and they send you a Gen II replacement riser and new set of limbs you will be good to go and have similar performance to that you are used to.

If it is a Gen I bow your shooting with the shorter rail and they replace the Gen I riser with a newer Gen II model to insure reliability without replacing the rail you will end up with a Micro 315. This is the recipe they use when producing 315 Micro's for production and sales.

If this becomes the case, it will still shoot nicely. Those with Micro 315's like them alot. This Gen II riser will provide reduced limb stress because of the difference in riser limb angle which is designed tp provide increased reliability and give you a bow with a lower draw weight for an easier cocking bow. ( IMO, a Win Win )

If this is the way you go ? but still want Gen II 335 performance you will need a new correct length rail to make it happen. :wink:
This is exactly what I did to come up with a bow I now have and feel much more confidence in .. I may have lost a bit of speed over what some of the Gen I's are capable of ? But Mike at Excal assures me I still have a bow providing a true 335 FPS @ 350 grains of arrow weight when tested thru their chronograph. :eusa-dance:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

Carnivorous wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:18 am
Both of my Micro limbs are flawless just like the majority of Micro bows!!
That's always been my opinion but i only personally know 2 people in my tiny neck of the woods who own gen 2 micro 335's. my son
is on his 3rd set of limbs and i am swapping out my splintered limbs this weekend. the service has been good and the excal people have been nice but that's still a 100% failure rate. i'm not interested in going to cams and cables but...
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

L. E. Carroll wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:56 am
If the bow your having issues with is a Gen II and they send you a Gen II replacement riser and new set of limbs you will be good to go and have similar performance to that you are used to.

Unless, of course, the replacement limbs fail immediately after sighting them in. yeah, i know, i'm being too negative but it just seemed like with all the trouble we had getting a string on the new limbs on my son's bow and then to have them fail the 1st time they were taken into the woods that we were just sent some junk bowtech had laying around in some warehouse. An odd color added to that perception. So when i discovered a splinter in my 335 i was leery about replacing them since it was shooting great. Called Danny and he sent me a new riser with limbs and string so hopefully things will be back to normal. Idk. I still have my remington and ruger firearms after 45 years of reliable service. was it unrealistic to expect to get more than 2.5 years out of a high quality crossbow that is properly maintained and not shot a lot? that's rhetorical btw but those are the kinds of thoughts i'm having after our recent experiences.

my excal troubles seem to be extending to the forum as well as i see that i am quoting myself when i preview my post! Only the 1st 3 lines of this post came from gene.
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
Buck

Post by Buck »

Received the Riser and Limbs today. Its obvious that the riser is machined, roughly ground, and not new. Also notice that sharp metal from the rough grinding is within a millimeter of the limb. You can really see it clearly in the 2nd to last thumbnail. I’m pretty sure that this will dig into the limb while shooting and cause another failure.

Here is the link to the 5 pics I took.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1j36o12my/

Thoughts?
Last edited by Buck on Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.