Scope Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Scope Question

Post by xcaliber »

I'm going out in the morning to tune up the Matrix 380. I put a Crossbones scope on it, and never got it dialed in. It's close, but I don't like the view at distances closer than 25 yards.
Question is, do any hunters dial their scopes back and forth on zoom setting and double check accuracy at the longer distances, or just leave it set where it is?

Edit to add, yes I'm using the crank! :think:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bigbowman

Re: Scope Question

Post by bigbowman »

I have my scopes half way maxed out on zoom and leave it there for all my shooting distances. I never mess with my scopes once I dial them in.
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Dan my crossbones on my 355 is set on 350.l know the bow is probably not that fast but thats what shoots best ar ALL ranges for me till 60 yards basically l never move it. On my vixen its on a faster setting than what its doing also. I like you have the nikon bolts ln all honesty l personally think the bolt has a clearer picture period. I love my 2 crossbones but l wont unnessarilly spend the money on another one. I think the speed dial is not as necessary as some make it out to be. If the bolt was made in a 360 speed it would sell a lot better.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

bigbowman wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:15 pm
I have my scopes half way maxed out on zoom and leave it there for all my shooting distances. I never mess with my scopes once I dial them in.
x2
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

BrotherRon wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:26 pm
bigbowman wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:15 pm
x2
X3. I set mine where my shots line up with the yardage lines and leave it.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

OK, sounds like that's what I need to do.

Thanks folks!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Ok, the scope lines up through 40 yards at 375 fps hash mark. I know this means diddly for speed, but is nearly maxed out on magnification so I did dial down, and back for various distances and it seems to work well. I did not like the view inside 20 yards, not a slam on the scope at all, just my personal preference. I find this to be pretty common for me, possibly a vision issue.
Anyway, it was nice to get out & the 380 ready! :thumbup:
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Good deal, Dan. Set it where you're comfortable with the view. The scope on my 380 is zoomed down as low as it will go and still line up thru 50 yards and I haven't moved it. Even on my rifle scopes I rarely zoom past 4 or 5 in hunting situations, I just don't like the narrow FOV at higher magnification and I find I'm not as steady a shot as I used to be, so along with magnifying my target, it also magnifies any movements I inadvertently make. :wtf:
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers