Mosquitos were swarming by the thousands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Riflemanz

Mosquitos were swarming by the thousands

Post by Riflemanz »

I went out tonight hunting with my younger partner who drags the deer out for me.
As soon as we got out of the truck we were swarmed by the thousands of the buggers.
I have never seen it this bad. I wore the bug tamer plus jacket and it saved me from bites. I could of sat there all night with it on. I had my thermacell at my feet and they still swarmed. My buddy walks 1/2 mile to his stand and then turns around and says screw this with these bugs. I got down then and came home. I told him he needs to buy the jacket for the early season.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Carnivorous

Re: Mosquitos were swarming by the thousands

Post by Carnivorous »

Yep we set our stands up in Central Michigan on Sunday and we're swarmed as well. Bring on the cooler weather!!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I'm amazed the thermacell didn't work. :?:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

Our elevated stands weren't too bad if you bundled up a bit (in 90+ degree weather!) but our new ground blind was pure misery. A thermacell made it bearable but i was mocked by the young guys for being an old wuss. My son took the blind the next day and didn't take my offer of the 'cell and his texts were hysterical for the duration of the hunt. Skeets, 90+ weather, new replacement limbs failing, very poor deer movement (and don't get me started on the badger, packer, and brewer games!) all put a damper on the opening weekend. Went out on tuesday after a 25 degree temp drop and deer were moving all over the place. Mostly does & fawns but i passed on 2 spikes and my son had a large buck pass thru deeper in the swamp. Will try again on friday but the ground blind won't get used until heavy frost hits.
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I cannot tolerate the skeeters at all. I'll wait for cooler temperatures. You early birds are much tougher than me. :roll:
Good luck folks!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
artifact

Post by artifact »

Lets see, eat lots of garlic, apply skin so soft, spray edges of clothing with permethrin, the remainder with a deet product, might make it bearable, and then again might not! :lol: Could use the thermacell also, that way you should have all the bases covered!
I hate the little bugs that swarm around your head and seem to find their way into your eyes, usually by spraying a headnet down with deet keeps them managable for the most part.
RobD

Post by RobD »

Carnivorous wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:52 pm
Yep we set our stands up in Central Michigan on Sunday and we're swarmed as well. Bring on the cooler weather!!!
Just so you don't feel too special, it's been an every day thing with the swarms of them here in Central Michigan. Should I be upset you didn't stop by and say "Hi!"? :?:
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

RobD wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:09 am
Carnivorous wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:52 pm
Just so you don't feel too special, it's been an every day thing with the swarms of them here in Central Michigan. Should I be upset you didn't stop by and say "Hi!"? :?:
Lol

I was just outside West Branch.. BTW your state rocks!! ;)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

The Thermacells work well for me if it is not windy it takes about 10 min after getting it going and then the vermin keep away.
I forgot mine squirrel hunting last week end and had to do some swatting but not to bad I now have it with my gear for the next hunt.
Spring turkey and early deer the Therrmacell is a real blessing,
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Pa is terrible also worst I seen in longtime!!
They even make buzz noise!😬