Not happy with blood trail

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Re: Not happy with blood trail

Post by nchunterkw »

Another thing to keep in mind is that a 2 blade "hole" is really just a slice and can kind of "close up" limiting the blood. For this reason I prefer 3 blade or 4 blade heads as the wound cannot close as easily. No matter how the deer flexes at least one part of the hole will pucker open. You would be surprised at how large of a hole a small little 1 1/8" Slick Trick makes.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

nchunterkw wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:26 am
Another thing to keep in mind is that a 2 blade "hole" is really just a slice and can kind of "close up" limiting the blood. For this reason I prefer 3 blade or 4 blade heads as the wound cannot close as easily. No matter how the deer flexes at least one part of the hole will pucker open. You would be surprised at how large of a hole a small little 1 1/8" Slick Trick makes.
Agreed!

I used the massive NAP FOC on a Michigan doe. Just a few small drops of blood on a double lung hit. However it tipped over 30yards away.

Overall my best BH for blood trails is the Grim reaper 125gr 3 blade crossbow mechanical.

I'll be trying out the SWAT 3 crossbow mechanical as well. 4 blades of carnage!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
catclr

Post by catclr »

WNCTracker wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:32 pm
catclr wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:28 pm
WNCTracker wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:29 am

Yes all pass through shots from tree stand with what I think to be good sized exits. Cavities full of blood.
I don't hunt from a tree stand, but would think if the exit hole is low, blood trail should not be a problem. Now your exit hole should be as large as your broad head or in your case at least a 2" exit, or larger.
If your cavities have been full of blood, sounds like, as someone else stated your FOC is low & your arrow is doing funny things inside of the deer & arrow is coming out high instead of low.

If you can weigh your arrows what is the total weight with the broad heads you are shooting? Then check the FOC %.

Last year I shot arrows with the Hybrid Broad heads that are COC with 2 1/4" mechanical's out of ground blind, and had good blood from hit on,blood everywhere, both sides of deer. My total arrow weight was 414 gr. with 100 gr. broad heads. This year with 125 gr.broad head my total arrow weight is 450 gr.. Now as for FOC with 125 gr. head got 24%, & with the 100 gr. 18%.
388.1 gr.
16.26 FOC
You say all pass thru's, you didn't say where the exit holes came out? If your entrance was high & exit low, like others have said you need to change broad heads from those two blades, to three or four blade heads.
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
WNCTracker

Post by WNCTracker »

catclr wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:56 pm
WNCTracker wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:32 pm
catclr wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:28 pm

I don't hunt from a tree stand, but would think if the exit hole is low, blood trail should not be a problem. Now your exit hole should be as large as your broad head or in your case at least a 2" exit, or larger.
If your cavities have been full of blood, sounds like, as someone else stated your FOC is low & your arrow is doing funny things inside of the deer & arrow is coming out high instead of low.

If you can weigh your arrows what is the total weight with the broad heads you are shooting? Then check the FOC %.

Last year I shot arrows with the Hybrid Broad heads that are COC with 2 1/4" mechanical's out of ground blind, and had good blood from hit on,blood everywhere, both sides of deer. My total arrow weight was 414 gr. with 100 gr. broad heads. This year with 125 gr.broad head my total arrow weight is 450 gr.. Now as for FOC with 125 gr. head got 24%, & with the 100 gr. 18%.
388.1 gr.
16.26 FOC
You say all pass thru's, you didn't say where the exit holes came out? If your entrance was high & exit low, like others have said you need to change broad heads from those two blades, to three or four blade heads.
High to low all shot 15 20 ft elevation no further than 25 yds
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

The 170 gr. FOC is a great mechanical head Myself and 2 other friends have killed several deer with them with no lost animals but all with well placed shots and very good blood trails.

With that being said I'm trying out a new 4 blade mechanical this year called the Truglo Titanium X. Its a 4 blade 1 1/8 x 1 3/4. I killed a doe a couple of weeks ago that went about 75 yards with an easy recovery. My wife shot a 6 point the other afternoon with an awesome blood trail with an entrance wound at the heart and exit through the shoulder, this buck made it about 60 yards with blood everywhere. Amazon has them for about $32.00 for 3 and they fly like your field point out to 40 yards with no issues at all. This broadhead is very tough after going through the shoulder the blades weren't bent or broken. There's a lot of good heads out and everyone's have their favorites good luck with your choice.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

The things that affect the amount of blood coming out of deer are:

1. Total surface area of cut
2. Organs cut or veins or arteries
3. Angle of wound channel
4. location of wound channel (high in chest or low in chest)
5. Animals initial reaction - run, walk stiff-legged, prace off, fall - recover - run
6. Condition of animal - fatty, furry, clean, matted
7. Coherence or adhesiveness of skin cuts - can the sliced skin stick together or is it apart
8. Exit hole
9. Sharpness of blades
10. Point

I don't think the broadhead weight is going to make a difference in these areas unless you are not getting exits and maybe 1 and 7 if a heavier broadhead provides a bigger cut (but that is not always the case).

Jagged cuts are more prone to sticking on the flesh and folding. Sharp blades make a smooth cut that will stay open. Uneven cuts will make a smaller permanent opening. This can happen if one blade breaks off or folds up. A cut-on-contact tip will separate the flesh along the path. A chisel tip or other design that is not an actual cutting blade will push flesh aside and stretch it before the cutting blade does its damage. The wound from the non-cutting tip will push away and stretch and then come back on itself after the tip passes.

The two biggest blood trails I've seen were from bad hits or in other words unintentional shot placement. One deer turned its head and ducked as the crossbow went off. The arrow hit the side of the neck above the shoulder and exited. Blood sprayed out 3 feet on one side and globbed out the other side. Another deer turned towards the bow as the shot went off and was hit in front of the hip from front to back. The arrow exited the ham. Blood shot up and forward like a garden hose. In just a few seconds and maybe 15 yards the deer hardly had any blood left in it. The broadhead cut the femoral artery in two.

I would try a cut-on-contact fixed 3 blade with over an inch cut (maybe1 1/8 or 1 3/16) that is very sharp and totally accurate in your crossbow. Then, try to keep the angle of entry and exit within the vital area of the chest cavity if hunting from elevation. If hunting from ground, aim 1/3 up for a lower horizontal shot. Good Luck!
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

I want to add that you should paper check your bolts. At 20 yards you should see the blade cuts from the shaft circle. If your veins are not aligned with the broadhead you will see blade cuts and vein tears. You should not see any tears from the shaft circle or a vein tear that is significantly different than the others. If so, that indicates the bolt is yawing. The yawing bolt will not make a smooth, clean cut that will stay open. Find the right front of center and weight for your crossbow so it flies right on paper and the arrow will work better on game.
WNCTracker

Post by WNCTracker »

XB I GO wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:57 pm
The things that affect the amount of blood coming out of deer are:

1. Total surface area of cut
2. Organs cut or veins or arteries
3. Angle of wound channel
4. location of wound channel (high in chest or low in chest)
5. Animals initial reaction - run, walk stiff-legged, prace off, fall - recover - run
6. Condition of animal - fatty, furry, clean, matted
7. Coherence or adhesiveness of skin cuts - can the sliced skin stick together or is it apart
8. Exit hole
9. Sharpness of blades
10. Point

I don't think the broadhead weight is going to make a difference in these areas unless you are not getting exits and maybe 1 and 7 if a heavier broadhead provides a bigger cut (but that is not always the case).

Jagged cuts are more prone to sticking on the flesh and folding. Sharp blades make a smooth cut that will stay open. Uneven cuts will make a smaller permanent opening. This can happen if one blade breaks off or folds up. A cut-on-contact tip will separate the flesh along the path. A chisel tip or other design that is not an actual cutting blade will push flesh aside and stretch it before the cutting blade does its damage. The wound from the non-cutting tip will push away and stretch and then come back on itself after the tip passes.

The two biggest blood trails I've seen were from bad hits or in other words unintentional shot placement. One deer turned its head and ducked as the crossbow went off. The arrow hit the side of the neck above the shoulder and exited. Blood sprayed out 3 feet on one side and globbed out the other side. Another deer turned towards the bow as the shot went off and was hit in front of the hip from front to back. The arrow exited the ham. Blood shot up and forward like a garden hose. In just a few seconds and maybe 15 yards the deer hardly had any blood left in it. The broadhead cut the femoral artery in two.

I would try a cut-on-contact fixed 3 blade with over an inch cut (maybe1 1/8 or 1 3/16) that is very sharp and totally accurate in your crossbow. Then, try to keep the angle of entry and exit within the vital area of the chest cavity if hunting from elevation. If hunting from ground, aim 1/3 up for a lower horizontal shot. Good Luck!
Thanks!!