Which Glue??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jody5252

Which Glue??

Post by jody5252 »

Frustrated again! 2219 Easton Alum Arrows. Great Arrows, but a nightmare to re-fletch. Proper cleaning, rough up the shafts, use primer on the vanes, I have tried several different, and highly recommended, (quality) glues, I have tried different fletching tools, and... They "still" are not sticking, as they should. What does stay on, I can pull off fairly easy, by hand. I am currently using 2" SK Flex fletch vanes, and glue that Jerry, at South Shore Archery, uses/recommends... If the factory Arrows vanes, stay on so well, just what do they use?? I am going to try re-painting the shafts, with primer. I am at the end of the road. Something has just got work... :wtf: :crazy:
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
xcaliber

Re: Which Glue??

Post by xcaliber »

Which jig are you using? Make sure the pressure from the jig is good, but not too tight, and if using an Arizona, don't squeeze the arms! I like several adhesives, but like AAE Fast set gel in the smallest tubes, more than enough for a dozen.
Good luck, and don't get frustrated.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Ive grown lazy ang tired now a days . When one of my factory fletched zombies looses one of its little wings it makes a great rain gutter cleaner or a house plant stake. I have used bohning fletch tite and premium for years on my 2216 longbow arrows with o issues. Just wipe the shaft and vane with alcohol or a solvent to degrease.....yes the bohning takes a few minutes to dry but every one is in such a hurry nowadays 5 minutes is eternally lol.When yer done put a small extra dab one the front n back of the vans.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

i have really good luck with g5 bluglu. i clean shaft and fletching with acetone, i use carbon shafts tho and no experience fletching aluminum shafts
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....vibra-tite......recommended and the only glue used by Jerry at South Shore Archery and now by me....along with the remmended prep pen....

Anthony :D
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Boo

Post by Boo »

Acetone is great for aluminum shafts but you have to let it flash off. If your SKs are older, you have to clean the base reallly well with acetone on a Q tip and use a primer. An alternative to acetone is something like Ajax. Use a wet towel and give it a good scrub and then rinse it clean with super hot water. Let it air dry really well before fetching.
I don't use alcohol any more because there is water in it and alcohol just isn't as an aggressive solvent. Very importantly, once cleaned, do not touch glue surfaces.
Dan is 100% correct, do not pull down on the collar of an Arizona EZ Fletch tool.
One more note. You can narrow down your source of trouble by looking at the fletching base or arrow shaft. When the fletch pulls off, if there is no glue on the shaft, you didn't clean it well. If there is no glue on the fletching, your issue is with cleaning the base.
Bluglu, the blue top Gorilla Glue, Goat Tough have worked for me.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Boo wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:01 pm
Dan is 100% correct, do not pull down on the collar of an Arizona EZ Fletch tool.
Really? Then I've been doing it wrong. I pull it down until it bottoms out. But, I'm fletching carbons with Blazers and use color-change Krazy Glue. I haven't had one come off yet, but I don't have them pass through targets either which is a real test of fletching.

Maybe that explains why I eventually get glue build up on the jig that has to be cleaned off periodically.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I've got a lot of experience with Flex Fletch and I've used a number of their vanes. I've also experienced your frustration and actually used to use a dremel to rough the surface, then thoroughly clean with acetone. After complaining to Dan at Flex Fletch, he turned me onto the primer they use. It's called 'Zing'. It comes with a brush like a nail polish brush attached to the lid. Brush onto the vane once in the jig, let it dry (like acetone) and apply your glue. It's amazing! It's that easy and once your vanes are glued, that's it.
Also, when you lose a vane, you can see what failed by checking the vane base and the arrow. If there's glue on the shaft, it wasn't prepped properly. Likewise if there's glue on the vane. Flex Fletch, in my opinion, makes what I consider the best vane on the market. Keep us updated.....remember, but the Zing. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Boo

Post by Boo »

DuckHunt wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:12 pm
Boo wrote:
Really? Then I've been doing it wrong. I pull it down until it bottoms out. But, I'm fletching carbons with Blazers and use color-change Krazy Glue. I haven't had one come off yet, but I don't have them pass through targets either which is a real test of fletching.

Maybe that explains why I eventually get glue build up on the jig that has to be cleaned off periodically.

DuckHunt
All that is required in a moderate amount of pressure. I found that if I pulled down until it wouldn't go any further, the front edge of the base of the fletching would curl up and then yes, it would get peeled right off when it drove into a target.

Post by newbie »

Boo wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:47 pm
DuckHunt wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:12 pm
Boo wrote:

DuckHunt
All that is required in a moderate amount of pressure. I found that if I pulled down until it wouldn't go any further, the front edge of the base of the fletching would curl up and then yes, it would get peeled right off when it drove into a target.
this!
too much pressure squeezes the vane too hard onto the shaft distorting it and squishes out the glue. just place it on to hold the arms.
Took me a while to figire this out.
Glue will build up on the jig no matter what more so if you use too much glue... very little is needed. I give it a wipe after every arrow i do.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

paulaboutform wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:24 pm
I've got a lot of experience with Flex Fletch and I've used a number of their vanes. I've also experienced your frustration and actually used to use a dremel to rough the surface, then thoroughly clean with acetone. After complaining to Dan at Flex Fletch, he turned me onto the primer they use. It's called 'Zing'. It comes with a brush like a nail polish brush attached to the lid. Brush onto the vane once in the jig, let it dry (like acetone) and apply your glue. It's amazing! It's that easy and once your vanes are glued, that's it.
Also, when you lose a vane, you can see what failed by checking the vane base and the arrow. If there's glue on the shaft, it wasn't prepped properly. Likewise if there's glue on the vane. Flex Fletch, in my opinion, makes what I consider the best vane on the market. Keep us updated.....remember, but the Zing. :wink:

Paul
Yea. I used that before. But, you cannot get it any more. All they have now is a marker type pen, with a plunger tip. It does NOT work as well as the brush on type.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
Boo

Post by Boo »

jody5252 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:59 pm
paulaboutform wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:24 pm

Paul
Yea. I used that before. But, you cannot get it any more. All they have now is a marker type pen, with a plunger tip. It does NOT work as well as the brush on type.
I've bought liquid primer in a bottle from Vanetec and Permatex