Disappointed today

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tangle Eye

Disappointed today

Post by Tangle Eye »

This year I have what is probably the best crossbow hunting property I’ve ever had. Today was a beautiful afternoon even if just a little warm (75). I made what I thought was a good 19 yard quartering away shot (deer facing away and to the right) on a smallish buck from a ground blind. The arrow impact sounded like solid whack; the placement looked good. As the deer ran away I thought I saw a good wound near the rear of the rib cage on the deer’s right side which would be consistent with what I was trying to do - send the arrow through the back of the right lung and on into the left lung.

I got a complete pass through with the arrow. There was blood and tissue on the arrow but no pink, frothy lung blood. The arrow was lying on the ground just past where the deer was standing.

I was able to track the deer (with tracks) out of the failed soybean field but I never found any blood - not a single drop. The property consists of small (an acre or so) open fields with woods between them. I looked for a couple of hours but never found any blood or any sign of the deer after he left the field. I guess that happens sometimes. :thumbdown:

Pretty disappointed but I’ll be back up there to hunt Sunday afternoon. I saw 3 other bucks and several does today so there are definitely deer there.
———————————————————————————————————
Excalibur Assassin w/ Boo Force 10 string

If you always do what you always did, you’ll always get what you always got.
SEW

Re: Disappointed today

Post by SEW »

Sorry. I’ve had the same. Just unexplainable.
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Tangle Eye, a dead deer that just doesn't know it yet can cover some dirt. If the land you hunt is not a road trip I'd hit the woods where the tracks were last seen heading in. Sounds to me like the shot was good, that deer is lying not to far from where you may have last looked. Just my thoughts...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Onetimeonly x--> wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:16 am
Tangle Eye, a dead deer that just doesn't know it yet can cover some dirt. If the land you hunt is not a road trip I'd hit the woods where the tracks were last seen heading in. Sounds to me like the shot was good, that deer is lying not to far from where you may have last looked. Just my thoughts...
I agree. Good luck, and hoping to read some good news later.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

I've noticed from the last two years hunting on the ground that blood needs to pool up inside the animal before it really starts to flow on the ground because the entry and exit holes are almost on the same horizontal plane. Now i am low so that blood starts dropping quicker on the ground.
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

GrassyKnoll wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:07 am
I've noticed from the last two years hunting on the ground that blood needs to pool up inside the animal before it really starts to flow on the ground because the entry and exit holes are almost on the same horizontal plane. Now i am low so that blood starts dropping quicker on the ground.
I have noticed this as well over the years.
Anything shot from an elevated position generally leaves a blood trail right away, while deer shot from a ground blind won't leave a blood trail until the chest cavity has filled up to the level of the exit wound.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

These things happen dont let it get you down. Dont over analyze it or punish yourself you tried your best .many deer get wounded by cars ....they never get followed up on. You made an ethical attempt at a recovery.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

BrotherRon wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:29 am
GrassyKnoll wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:07 am
I have noticed this as well over the years.
Anything shot from an elevated position generally leaves a blood trail right away, while deer shot from a ground blind won't leave a blood trail until the chest cavity has filled up to the level of the exit wound.
This has not been my experience at all. I think what you are seeing is when the blood really starts dripping from the mouth/nose on a good double lung. Watch some RamCat videos. You can see lots of blood spurt out right at the shot. This has been what I see as well on well hit deer.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

longbow joe wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:46 am
These things happen dont let it get you down. Dont over analyze it or punish yourself you tried your best .many deer get wounded by cars ....they never get followed up on. You made an ethical attempt at a recovery.
I agree with Joe. The same deal happened to me on Sunday. I aimed for 20, and hit the deer but the arrow was in the gronund only 2 yds past the deer. And stuck in like it flew in. I was on the ground. The arrow had blood, but I had to rub my fingers on it to see it, and the feathers were not soaked. Looked for 2 hours … no Bueno. No blood, no deer. Near as I can tell I underestimated the yardage and she was closer to 30 than 20 and I hit very low in the brisket. The arrow seemed to line up with where my 30 yd reticle would have been when I shot. Frustrating, disappointing, and deflating for sure. Nothing to do but move on.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Funny how the vertical bowyers think our crossbows are like a rifle and are a sure kill every time we pull the trigger.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
janesy

Post by janesy »

nchunterkw wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:11 pm
This has not been my experience at all. I think what you are seeing is when the blood really starts dripping from the mouth/nose on a good double lung. Watch some RamCat videos. You can see lots of blood spurt out right at the shot. This has been what I see as well on well hit deer.
I read a post of yours last week sharing this theory. I don't have enough experience with a bow to add to it, but it sure makes a lot of good sense.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

janesy wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:10 pm
nchunterkw wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:11 pm
I read a post of yours last week sharing this theory. I don't have enough experience with a bow to add to it, but it sure makes a lot of good sense.
Take a look at the pic in Tangle Eye's newest thread........

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69135&p=672773#p672773

Look at all that blood by the head of that deer.......................
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I've shot everything from deer to moose and bear from the ground with both crossbow and compound and done the same from an elevated position and its always harder to get on the blood trail from a ground shot from my experiences . First buck I shot from the ground had no blood for 65 yards then a few drops. I did a circle search and found him piled up 30 yards further. When I pulled him over blood just poured out of him !
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....spine em and they go right down.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anthony :mrgreen:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings