Off to a slow start this season

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Off to a slow start this season

Post by wabi »

Just haven't had much of an urge to hunt with the hot weather we've had this fall. Didn't even squirrel hunt the opening day (and haven't hunted yet).
With some cooler weather the past few days I decided to get the old Phoenix out and make sure it was still as deadly as ever.
Went to the farm I hunt yesterday, set a target out at 25 yards (the range I sight in at) and checked everything on the bow. Brace height good, string looks good, everything tight, scope clear, ready to go!
Cocked & loaded and squeezed off a shot at the target. Hit right on in height, but 3" left????? Looked at the string and the serving had broke at about where the rope cocker hook would grab it on the right side. Checked the claws and they look fine, checked the rope cocker and it looks fine, guess it was just time for it to break. :lol: After all, it's 4-5 years old. Oh well, I can put a new string on (had a spare at home) tonight and shoot again tomorrow or Tuesday. (No hurry - long season and more hot weather forecast for the next few days.)

Might as well check out the stand, blind, & feeder while I am at the farm. Thinking of moving them to a new location (which I haven't picked out yet) since they haven't produced the past couple of years. (The landowner set up a feeder in what turned out to be a better location, and the deer have not been hitting my location during legal hunting hours.)
The gaping hole in the front of the blind was very obvious as I approached. Looks like the high winds a couple nights ago put a tree limb through it. :(
Might as well look at the feeder. Lifted the lid and exposed a huge wasp nest covered with crawling wasps! :shock: Closed the lid & got far away as quickly as I could. :lol: Never checked the ladder stand as it is close the the feeder and I figured cold weather would be a much better time to return to the area. :eusa-whistle:

I was planning on being a bit more mobile this year with a strap-on tree seat, small "turkey blind" (camo cloth on short sticks), and tree umbrella (when needed), and it now looks like that will be plan "A", "B", & "C" :lol:
Looks like the oaks are bearing a fair crop of acorns this year, so that may be the best plan anyway.

Got the new string on the bow to "settle in" for a day or two, will shoot a few times and fine tune brace height later this week, and maybe do a bit more scouting after I get the Phoenix ready for action. With 4 more months of season there's no rush. :clap:
wabi
paulaboutform

Re: Off to a slow start this season

Post by paulaboutform »

Good luck with your season Wabi. You know what they say, slow and steady wins the race. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Cardinalsfanforever

Re: Off to a slow start this season

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

opening day here in illinois also. just too darned hot. combines working all around us and the skeeters also. ended up mowing and helping wife transfer some plants. :( can't get frowns to work :( ?
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster