I HATE ticks!!!!!!!!!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

I HATE ticks!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by nchunterkw »

Last Tuesday I found a tick on my leg that was partially fed. Usually, I check myself and find them right away, but this was a small nymphal stage tick so I must have missed it. Started digging around the web and found a few resources that I think are great.

First of all, https://tickencounter.org/ is a website done by the Univ. of Rhode Island. Here you can send them a picture of your tick and they will identify it and assess how long it may have been o you etc. This is great. In my case it was a nymphal Lone Star Tick that was on me for 2.5days. So that had me concerned as it takes some time for diseases to transfer, but 48+ hours was not good.

Tick Encounter partners with the Medical Zoology Lab of the Univ. of Massachusetts (https://www.tickreport.com/) where you can send them your tick and they will do DNA testing of it for various diseases (Lyme, Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever, Erlichia, etc.) For $50 you can get a basic package that covers like 8 diseases and will be great info for your Dr., should you need treatment. You can spend more if you like, but I think this is plenty.

Just got my results back and all tests were negative, so praise the Lord on that!! I'll still monitor myself for any symptoms to be sure, but pretty happy with these test results.

If you research these diseases, they are pretty bad, and as hunters we are out among ticks all the time. Thought these were a couple of good resources for all of us to know about because the earlier you start treatment for this stuff (including Lyme) the better by far.

Keith
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Hi5

Re: I HATE ticks!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Hi5 »

Good information. Thanks for posting,
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
catclr

Post by catclr »

My wife spent 6 days in hospital back end of July, with no signs of tick bite, no bullseye, nothing. She passed out, having very low blood pressure, & at day 4 they started treating her for lymes, & blood pressure, blood counts all went up when they started the treatment, by the following day.

Here is how I treat all my hunting clothes, to keep ticks off-----https://bit.ly/2Rep6et
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Sawyer permetherin. .....l spray knapsack hat all outer clothes .l live in a dense tick area.havnt had a live tick on me in the 20 years of using it. No lie.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
artifact

Post by artifact »

X2! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ , an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
I also use Sawyers permethrin and have never found a tick on me when hunting with clothing and other gear on that was treated with it.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I had an inflated deer/blacklegged tick on me. The Dr sent it in to be checked for Lyme and she gave me some antibiotics just in case. The test on the tick was negative. She suggested that I shower and scrub after hunting with a cloth saying "you'd be surprised how many ticks get removed". Makes sense to me!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I think the reason a lot of hunters don't use pemeretherin is because they are afraid of an odor. After 2 hours its not gonna smell. I have not had any issues with deer smelling it or if they do its not an issue or threatining smell. I treat my clothes once a week and then the go in my dried ragweed and apple leave potpourri bag wich im sure overides any smell anyway.please use this stuff my brother has lymes and it is an ugly disease lf one person reads this and it works its worth it to me l live in extreeme tick woods and deal with these little
BA $$TARDS all the time.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I agree with the permethrin treatments, but my point was if for some reason you get bit....use these 2 resources to quickly get a handle on things. Many with Lyme Disease have so many problems because it went untreated for months/years and a lot of damage gets done. The sooner you start treatment the better.

My problem is that when it is in the 90's I'm washing my clothes after every wear. I will go through 2 sets of clothes on one day...morning and evening because you just sweat so much. I have 4 - 5 sets of cloths. It's a lot to treat and they get washed a lot but I will have to start. Usually I wear high rubber boots which helps a lot as well, but this year I wasn't because of the heat. But now I have a boot drier that works wonders to eliminate smell from inside the boot.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
mattones

Post by mattones »

I get the hibby gibbies when it comes to ticks
08 Diamond Justice
2015 Micro 335 -Custom Flemish String-Lumonzombies
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

You’re pretty gung-ho to be hunting in this Carolina heat, Kieth. Heck, it’s so hot I can barely stand to get out and mow the grass! It’s been darn humid too.

I wouldn’t even consider it till we get a strong cold front blow through - and none of those are in the ten-day forecast.
NCHunter
Exocet 175 (modified)
600-grain Executioner arrows
Centaur Battle axe
(230-grain) broad heads
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

nchunter wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:41 pm
You’re pretty gung-ho to be hunting in this Carolina heat, Kieth. Heck, it’s so hot I can barely stand to get out and mow the grass! It’s been darn humid too.

I wouldn’t even consider it till we get a strong cold front blow through - and none of those are in the ten-day forecast.
My brother in law is coming down tomorrow to hunt. We will be out Fri - Monday...at least mornings. The humidity has been crazy. Odd too.....right after the hurricane for about 1 week almost no mosquitos. Now....they are as bad as when I was in CAN hunting bears in June.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

After hurricane sandy the mosquitos were unbelievable until the first cold snap. I remember it well. I feel for you. Maby a thermocell will help l was too stubborn to get one.
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

You’re right about the post-hurricane mosquitoes; they’re really bad right now. This is the most humid “Fall” I can ever recall in North Carolina. Some years it stays hot into Octobed, but at least the humidity drops and it’s a much more tolerable dry heat. I guess when 17 inches of rain drops on the ground it takes awhile for things to dry out...
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

longbow joe wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:28 pm
After hurricane sandy the mosquitos were unbelievable until the first cold snap. I remember it well. I feel for you. Maby a thermocell will help l was too stubborn to get one.
Thermacells are great, Joe. You should get one. They work unbelievably well. What was odd was how there were no mosquitos for a week or 10 days then BAM! I guess a lot of the water was still kind fast moving and maybe washed all the hatches away and now that it's back to normal there are hatches everywhere.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
gunboy203

Post by gunboy203 »

Great info Keith... Glad the tests came out negative.. I agree that its way to hot for me as well right now to be out. I can wait until it cools down some before getting to excited about hunting yet.. And yes the bugs will carry you away.....!!!