accuracy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Troubleshooter

accuracy

Post by Troubleshooter »

Dear forum members,

I wonder which arrow is more accurate at longer distances....

Diablo + 150 gr boltcutter
or
Firebolt + 150 gr boltcutter

Shooting with the M380 Blackout.

Personally, I think the longer (20) bolt is more accurate than the shorter (18) bolt (the vanes are also longer), but the spine of the Firebolt is actually built for the slower series. Wonder if you get the spine is getting curved because of the speed / affects the accuracy.

Thanks for your thoughts about this!
Boo

Re: accuracy

Post by Boo »

Good question! Assuming the same material is used, longer shafts make for a softer spine. The Diablo has a slightly heavier insert which will improve FOC. Longer shafts are better at longer distances. Hmmmmm. I think if you're concerned with long range accuracy, you should look towards a Black Eagle Arrow arrow or an XX75. You'll find the consistency better and the shafts more stiff. They also use heavier inserts for better FOC. With Firebolts and Diablos, you'll likely have to sort out more arrows that don't group.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

In my 380 the longer bolts work better. Not the same kind as you’re asking about but the 18’s ate more accurate at longer range than the 16’s.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

ON longer arrows the fletching is further away from the center of the shaft (effective center of pressure) which is where the shaft flexes during flight. With it being further away, it has a longer "moment arm" and can more easily correct the arrow to stabilize it. So the longer arrows should be more accurate.

However, I have found with crossbows, since there is no archers paradox that the stiffer the shaft the better for accuracy. And as was already said, a heavier front end helps as well. So I echo Boo, if you want to take your accuracy up a notch, get some Black Eagle Zombie Slayers and put a 110gr brass insert in them and shoot either 100gr or 125gr broadheads. If you want to shoot the same 150's then put in the 92gr brass inserts.

For best fixed blade BH accuracy, you may also want to consider a helical fletch.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Troubleshooter

Post by Troubleshooter »

Thank you very much, Boo, XB I GO and nchunterkw! Very good and helpfull information.

So, in short: a longer and stiffer shaft will be the better bolt.

I hope I can find the recommended bolts, since I live in Holland. Otherwise I have to ship them.

Thanks again!