Katana 385???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Re: Katana 385???

Post by xcaliber »

I'm still thinking about it, two questions. Do you need to use capture style nocks, or can you use flat nocks, and what arrow length works best?
Thanks.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

No flat nocks.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Boo

Post by Boo »

Sorry Dan, I forgot to answer the arrow question. They are 20" 0.003" BEA Executioners. They shoot ok if you put on a 125 gr field tip. Weight of an untipped arrow is 255 gr.
The nocks are glued in.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Thanks Don. I guess I would be using two different arrow recipes if I add one to the stable. Hmmm. :think:
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Boo wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:01 am
Sorry Dan, I forgot to answer the arrow question. They are 20" 0.003" BEA Executioners. They shoot ok if you put on a 125 gr field tip. Weight of an untipped arrow is 255 gr.
The nocks are glued in.
Don, the ones that came with my Offspring are obviously Black Eagle, but weigh 288 gr. Untipped. They also have a brass insert but can’t tell what weight it is. Manual says don’t shoot anything lighter than 380 gr. Arrow weight. Haven’t shot at any distance but shoots great in yard. I’m all smiles so far.
grouse

Post by grouse »

Boo wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:01 am
You can get them from custom shops. Don't even think about factory ones, you know.... the definition of insanity right?
If you get one, look at the cam timing. If it looks good at rest, cock it and look again. Cocked is the most important cam position as it applies the most force on the arrow. If that cocked timing is good, MAKE SURE YOUR SAFETY IS ON!!! and check by putting a straight edge of sorts (not a machinist's) across the cam and make some reference marks. I would use a silver sharpie and when you are happy with that timing, you can etch a mark with an awl.
One odd thing about the SZs is that the cables anchor on the axles. It's no biggie really but it so much easier to adjust if you have a link. Danny has links. But if you go that way, you'll pretty much have to make your own cables. I struggled with that for days and just had to shelve the project. When I can devote a whole day, I'll go at it again. When I find the perfect length, I'll let you know what that is, assuming you buy the bow.
Have you considered the 360 Katana?
You just described a major reason most of us want nothing to do with a compound crossbow.
axiom
350 SE
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

After a lot of thinking about, and all the candid reviews, and pointers I decided to pass on them. The deals are out there no doubt, but for me I give up the simplicity of grabbing any bow I currently have, and one box of arrows that work for either model. I have to remind myself that it's only a sale if I really need it. :think:
Boo

Post by Boo »

xcaliber wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:34 pm
After a lot of thinking about, and all the candid reviews, and pointers I decided to pass on them. The deals are out there no doubt, but for me I give up the simplicity of grabbing any bow I currently have, and one box of arrows that work for either model. I have to remind myself that it's only a sale if I really need it. :think:
LOL! Need and want are 2 different things! But sometimes one fades to the other.
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

xcaliber wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:29 am
I'm still thinking about it, two questions. Do you need to use capture style nocks, or can you use flat nocks, and what arrow length works best?
ThanksMoon or Omni nocks (universal) 20" is reccommend.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Boo wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:16 pm
xcaliber wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:34 pm
LOL! Need and want are 2 different things! But sometimes one fades to the other.
So true Sir! I still look at them online! :eusa-deadhorse: