Katana 385???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Katana 385???

Post by xcaliber »

Can I get some information / reviews on the Katana 385? I am seriously considering getting one because of the easier cocking effort, and I like the stock a lot.

Thanks!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Re: Katana 385???

Post by Boo »

I have a 360 and a 385. I haven't had the time I needed to shoot the 385. I bought it because the 360 is a phenomenal bow in all ways and I wanted to secure one before they're all gone.
I can tell you one negative, replace the strings. The servings are not on par and the cables for some reason aren't the same length. This has always been a Bowtech issue (I have 4 of them).
But they are very accurate, easy to cock, quite, low in shock and the triggers are great! If you can afford it, buy it. There's no difference between a Katana and an Offspring so consider the later as well.
The price are stupid right now and you'll be spending a ton of time searching the net to find someone that has had issues with the bow itself.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Thanks Don, strings & cables are available where? Still kicking this around, as you said the price is crazy.
Boo

Post by Boo »

You can get them from custom shops. Don't even think about factory ones, you know.... the definition of insanity right?
If you get one, look at the cam timing. If it looks good at rest, cock it and look again. Cocked is the most important cam position as it applies the most force on the arrow. If that cocked timing is good, MAKE SURE YOUR SAFETY IS ON!!! and check by putting a straight edge of sorts (not a machinist's) across the cam and make some reference marks. I would use a silver sharpie and when you are happy with that timing, you can etch a mark with an awl.
One odd thing about the SZs is that the cables anchor on the axles. It's no biggie really but it so much easier to adjust if you have a link. Danny has links. But if you go that way, you'll pretty much have to make your own cables. I struggled with that for days and just had to shelve the project. When I can devote a whole day, I'll go at it again. When I find the perfect length, I'll let you know what that is, assuming you buy the bow.
Have you considered the 360 Katana?
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yes, that one is starting to appeal to me more and more really. Still all the muscle I need for whitetail hunting.
Thanks, and I'll let you know if I get one.
Dan
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Or.... you can send your front end to Danny, get his links and cables and string installed. The Offspring are really a great buy right now. They are not bullpup, but great bows at a really bargain price. 60x- Proline sell strings and cables on the web as well.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Thanks. I'm looking at the Offspring as well.
flightattendant100

xcaliber wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:05 am
Danny is a real fan of these. He has stretched them and shortened them, swapped limbs w other Bowtech(390’s) and loves ‘em all. Worth a call me thinks
flightattendant100

flightattendant100 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:32 pm
xcaliber wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:05 am
Danny is a real fan of these. He has stretched them and shortened them, swapped limbs w other Bowtech(390’s) and loves ‘em all. Worth a call me thinks Watching the web, there have been some incredible deals. ( sub 300). Lots of bow for that much money.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Seen that, insane price! Hmmm. :eusa-popcorn:
Boo

Post by Boo »

Other than those who boost their bows into Frankenstein status, have you ever heard of anyone with an issue with any current lineup of Bowtech crossbows?
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Loved my Solution 390, just hated I couldn't decock without firing it. The Katana looks to be about perfect as long as one has their own press to set timing, etc.

One note that some might not be aware of is that in order to change out a cable you have to pull the axle from the limb as the cables are anchored on the axle. Not a big deal if you have the right press for a narrow compound crossbow. It can be done With Extreme Care with a Nighthawk portable press but it's not recommended. The split limbs can be a pain to realign to get the axle back in but it's doable.
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
flightattendant100

GrassyKnoll wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:11 pm
Loved my Solution 390, just hated I couldn't decock without firing it. The Katana looks to be about perfect as long as one has their own press to set timing, etc.

One note that some might not be aware of is that in order to change out a cable you have to pull the axle from the limb as the cables are anchored on the axle. Not a big deal if you have the right press for a narrow compound crossbow. It can be done With Extreme Care with a Nighthawk portable press but it's not recommended. The split limbs can be a pain to realign to get the axle back in but it's doable.
that's why Danny Miller puts the clips on them. It changes cable length but makes life much easier
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:23 am
GrassyKnoll wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:11 pm

that's why Danny Miller puts the clips on them. It changes cable length but makes life much easier
I didn't know that.. Thank you for that info. Is there a pic out there with the clips?
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

xcaliber wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:04 am
Yes, that one is starting to appeal to me more and more really. Still all the muscle I need for whitetail hunting.
Thanks, and I'll let you know if I get one.
Dan
I have the 360 Nice bow, but not to fond of the cams. Have not had any issues with it other then, it will not shoot lumenoks accurately, at all. This season I am using the Omni nocks. So far, so good... And you can de-cock this bow, which is great!
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks