Sighting in my hawke SB30

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BTC624

Sighting in my hawke SB30

Post by BTC624 »

Ok Guys I’m confused here so bear with me as I go through this. This scope is a hawke SB30 2.5 x 8. My problem is at 30 yds, I have to use my 40 yd pin to hit dead on but I will describe my sighting. In procedure and you guys can tell me where I’m screwing up as I’m trying to have this calibrated to hit with the corresponding recticle lines. 20. 30, 40 etc.

Please note my scope is on 8 power or 475 FPS during the 10 and 20 yard sighting in.

1 sighted my crossbow at 10 yds. Used the 20 yd crosshair / shooting dead on

2. Made a very small adjustment at. 20 yds still using the 20 yd crosshair / hitting dead on

NOW I MOVE BACK TO 30 yds, I NOW AM USING MY 30 yd crosshair, I turn my power ring down to 375 FPS, shoots low about 2 inches, I lower the scope to 350 and then 325 and instead of it raising the point of impact it shoots even lower.

Frustrated because I thought that was how it works I went back to 20 and turned my FPS / mag back up to where I sighted it in at 8power or 475 FPS and hit dead center at 20 using my 20 yd recticle but to hit dead center at 30 I had to use my 40 yd recticle. Dont understand why I screwed this up at 30. I thought at 30 you lower the FPS to what your bows shooting, if it hits low Lower the FPS until your hitting dead on BUT IT NEVER raised the point of impact what gives... :think:

Oh bow is an Excalibur Assassin
xcaliber

Re: Sighting in my hawke SB30

Post by xcaliber »

OK, forget the zoom in / out for now. It is not relevant at 20 yards.
Shoot at 30 yards, use your 20 yard scope mark and aim near the top of target knowing the arrow will hit low.
Set your 20 mark again on the aiming mark, and zoom until your 30 mark is that arrow.
Now shoot at 30 using the 30, if dead on, go back to 20 to verify you're still dead on.
Do the same at 40, and 50 yards, but verify backing out to 40 / 30 / 20

Good Luck!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
xpert1111

Post by xpert1111 »

BTC624 wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:16 pm
Ok Guys I’m confused here so bear with me as I go through this. This scope is a hawke SB30 2.5 x 8. My problem is at 30 yds, I have to use my 40 yd pin to hit dead on but I will describe my sighting. In procedure and you guys can tell me where I’m screwing up as I’m trying to have this calibrated to hit with the corresponding recticle lines. 20. 30, 40 etc.

Please note my scope is on 8 power or 475 FPS during the 10 and 20 yard sighting in.

1 sighted my crossbow at 10 yds. Used the 20 yd crosshair / shooting dead on

2. Made a very small adjustment at. 20 yds still using the 20 yd crosshair / hitting dead on

NOW I MOVE BACK TO 30 yds, I NOW AM USING MY 30 yd crosshair, I turn my power ring down to 375 FPS, shoots low about 2 inches, I lower the scope to 350 and then 325 and instead of it raising the point of impact it shoots even lower.

Frustrated because I thought that was how it works I went back to 20 and turned my FPS / mag back up to where I sighted it in at 8power or 475 FPS and hit dead center at 20 using my 20 yd recticle but to hit dead center at 30 I had to use my 40 yd recticle. Dont understand why I screwed this up at 30. I thought at 30 you lower the FPS to what your bows shooting, if it hits low Lower the FPS until your hitting dead on BUT IT NEVER raised the point of impact what gives... :think:

Oh bow is an Excalibur Assassin
Read the owners manual for the scope. This scope does not work like a rifle scope. You do not use the speed ring as a magnification device. Only to adjust the scope when initially sighting in. Once all sighted in you never touch it again
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Zeroing at 10yds with your 20 yd reticle will throw everything off. The arrow is still climbing at that range.
Zero at 20 yards with your 20 yd reticle, then do as xcalibur says above, or:
Move back to 30 and shoot using the 30 yd reticle and adjust the speed ring until you are dead on with the 30yd reticle.
You should be good from there.

The way this works is that the 20 yd reticle is in the exact center of the scope. So the speed ring will not affect it's POI no matter where you set it. You make all adjustmnents at 20 yds with the turrets.
You use the speed ring to adjust the magnification to make the other reticles line up with the various yardages. Never makes turret adjustments at any other yardage other than 20 yds. Once everything is set, you never touch the speed ring again.

Zeroed at 20, and with an assassin bow, My guess is that your arrow will a "near zero" at about 5yds, and a max height of about 1" (probably less) above your 20 yd zero somewhere around 12 - 15 yds. So from 0 yds to 20 yds, using your 20 yd reticle you will hit +/- 1" (probably less) from where you aim. Try it out.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><